• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

noiseangel

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

deniall83

I think this is meant to be worn as a necklace. Not intended for audio use. :rolleyes:
I remember playing with a Crystal Cable interconnect at a dealer once. Incredibly stiff and honestly a pain to use. Didn't care for it at all, and didn't sound any different from any other cable. I think it was $900 or something.

Cwopete5

I have Snake Oil Sound interconnects.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I recently read a couple of new trends:

1. Cascaded audiophile Ethernet switches (two or more in series) to further improve audio and video performance; and,
2. Take apart your equipment and loosen/retighten all the PCB mounting screws to "relax" the sound.

I have not tried either so could not say how much they really work. :cool: I suppose the second is free, assuming you don't break anything and void the warranty.

sq225917

Major Contributor
This is all well and good but it's rank amateur compared to the demo I heard at a hifi show yesterday.

A record clamp with frickin lasers that claims to measure the distance to the inside of the run out groove and then indicates how far out of centre the spindle hole is.

The guy demonstrating was sure we could all hear how greatly improved the sound was as he claimed to nudge a record by a hundred or so microns to fix its eccentric tracking.

I couldn't hear shit.

And it was always listen adjust with device, listen again' oooh isn't it better'. He couldn't be enticed to do it the other way, start corrected then add back in the error.

It was a marketing copywriter's and NLP users dream demo. Quite possibly the most polished pitch I've seen in years, yet obviously bullshit.

I have some records that are 2mm off centre, can I hear any difference in pitch stability between them and the same cd master, nope, can I buggery.

Quite how you can manufacture a device that sits on the spindle, free rotates, yet has bearing tolerance from precession down to micron level is beyond me.

I look forward to measured tests of this £5,000 device........

sjeesjie

I recently read a couple of new trends:

1. Cascaded audiophile Ethernet switches (two or more in series) to further improve audio and video performance; and,
2. Take apart your equipment and loosen/retighten all the PCB mounting screws to "relax" the sound.

I have not tried either so could not say how much they really work. :cool: I suppose the second is free, assuming you don't break anything and void the warranty.
Hehe I was just about to ask, have you tried it? If you didn’t how do you know it doesn’t work?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hehe I was just about to ask, have you tried it? If you didn’t how do you know it doesn’t work?
The nature of digital data transmission makes it such that switches and routers do not affect sound quality. It's physics and mathematical and the question of can it actually affect the sound can be answered with a very firm NO if one is aware of how digital data transmission operates.

sjeesjie

The nature of digital data transmission makes it such that switches and routers do not affect sound quality. It's physics and mathematical and the question of can it actually affect the sound can be answered with a very firm NO if one is aware of how digital data transmission operates.
Yeah I know, it’s just the regular subjective audiophile’s reaction to such thing.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Digital can certainly be improved via switch.

But only if its breaking a gnd loop.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ArrgggH! Digital cannot be improved. Full stop perioD.
I think he is saying ground loop noise can be eliminated by a digital interface that breaks the ground loop. This could be (unscreened) ethernet or toslink as examples.

CapMan

Major Contributor
7159E4F3-5CFC-4456-B13A-A32292D6950E.jpeg
Just swapped my Van Damme HiFi speaker cables for Sommer Meridian (both 6mm2) - now the music is less bright and sounds dull and grey. Any suggestions?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Top Bottom