• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping A90 Discrete Review (Headphone Amp & Preamp)

Rate this Headphone Amp/Pre-amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 3.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 70 17.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 306 75.4%

• Total voters

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hopefully Topping has learned from the design flaws of the A90, and doesn't build in such aggressive DC-protection again, which will make the device unusable, for people who like to listen very loud, and have headphones that need a lot of power...

Newman

Major Contributor
So....why aren't Marantz delivering this level with their HDAM receivers and processors (or at least matching benchmark performance for that class of product)?

Incompetence?

Carelessness?

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
It is my pleasure to add Topping A90 Discrete headphone amplifier/pre-amplifier to my recommended list. My challenge is to figure out if it goes in my main system or desktop! :)

I'm a bit confused with all the 90's.....the Topping PRE90, The Topping A90, and this one....the Discreet.

But with the addition of the trigger, this is exactly what I need if I decide to go vinyl in the future (a Preamp and another input --- my DAC goes directly to the amp). I'm hoping in the meantime, someone talks me out of a turntable.

Veri

Master Contributor
I wonder how many times Topping will re-release the same product with something slightly different before @amirm gets bored of reviewing them.
??

The architecture is different, the volume control indicator aesthetic is way different, the current delivery at low impedances is noticeably improved.
What are you even talking about? Same product?....

DWI

If you live in the UK the A90 Discrete is 20% more expensive than the Mojo2, in the USA the Mojo2 is 25% more expensive than the A90.

I was thinking of a headphone amp as I have a pair of MrSpeakers Aeon collecting dust, but bought a pair of Sennheiser wireless headphones in an airport a few weeks ago for $100 and now realise why wireless have gone from 17% to about 90% of the headphone market in 5 years. In China the wireless market is even more dominant and growing exponentially. the wireless headphone market is projected at $45b by 2026. These seem to be great products with a limited lifespan.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
??

The architecture is different, the volume control indicator aesthetic is way different, the current delivery at low impedances is noticeably improved.
What are you even talking about? Same product?....
It does the same thing doesn’t it?

It’s very obvious to me that the A90 sales are decreasing and they needed a new product so that reviewers can talk about it all over again and bring sales back up.

If this product makes you wanna throw your A90 in the trash because this one is so much better go ahead, but I personally don’t agree.

DWI

I wonder how many times Topping will re-release the same product with something slightly different before @amirm gets bored of reviewing them.
Will be wearing my budget wireless on my way to Flagey Studio 4 for a concert next Sunday. Looking forward to a day in Brussels.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Now it is interesting to have a proper controlled listening test of A90 OP VS A90 Discrete to see if there is any audible difference.

At these levels of excellence it's transparent for humans. Select the one your prefer and forgot the other, or buy the 2 because it's your pleasure. But frankly speaking, if you are concerned buy the preamp question, you already have an A90, so buy this one to complete your collection.

Veri

Master Contributor
It does the same thing doesn’t it?
It’s very obvious to me that the A90 sales are decreasing and they needed a new product so that reviewers can talk about it all over again and bring sales back up.

If this product makes you wanna throw your A90 in the trash because this one is so much better go ahead, but I personally don’t agree.
Well sure, both are headphone amps + pre, haha... and I think it's made/designed to be slightly better than original A90 (in most areas that is, 50mW noise level slightly increased actually), while offering competition to products like Gustard H16, Singxer SA1 among others. Market is interested in such discrete products so Topping made one. Makes perfect sense to me..

And no it's not worlds away from A90. Obviously. If you read l7audiolab Chinese comments through google translate: "A90 is good enough". :D

usern

Is this Class-D amp? Does it have lower power consumption at same HP power out compared to regular A90?

Ra1zel

Real upgrade here is stepped relay volume control, IEM lovers who don't use digital volume control will be very happy.

Now I only hope topping can ditch their love for 4 different fonts and evolve into love for higher quality enclosure and connectors.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this Class-D amp? Does it have lower power consumption at same HP power out compared to regular A90?
No it’s a discrete circuit, meaning that they built it from scratch.

We haven’t got a look under the hood but it’s likely that it’s class A just like most desktop headphone amplifiers (discrete or not).

Ra1zel

Also, steps 0.5dB or 1dB?

Vict0r

Yeah, sure; it measures really well and all that. Well done, Topping. Again. Boring. :p

I voted "Great!" because it is the best looking Topping unit yet, in my opinion! Nice to see they're stepping up in that regard as well. I'm a sucker for sleek, black boxes and this one nails that look.

Top Bottom