• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Go to a local Magnolia/Best Buy and ask them to beat those deals on new.
I haven't tried that before. Does that work because you're dealing with salespeople face-to-face who are willing to cut deals?

Just curious because Best Buy's official price matching policy (official U.S. policy at least?) doesn't include open box or refurbished.
Our Price Match Guarantee covers new items (excludes clearance, refurbished and open-box items).

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I haven't tried that before. Does that work because you're dealing with salespeople face-to-face who are willing to cut deals?

Just curious because Best Buy's official price matching policy (official U.S. policy at least?) doesn't include open box or refurbished.
I think it's a bit of a "sell". I've gone in to listen to higher end speakers and buy a TV along the way and with the Magnolia salesmen there used to be some leeway. I ended up with Panasonic's last top-of-the-line plasma for the price of the mid-level set, so about 20% off (and passed on the B&Ws 804s, haha).

MacCali

Major Contributor
Monolith by Monoprice Liquid Platinum Balanced Limited Edition DAC by Alex Cavalli (AKM4499)
$650

Review and measurements: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...d-dac-by-alex-cavalli-measurements-dac.34579/
good looking out been wanting to buy this guy for a long while now. Just purchased!

MacCali

Major Contributor

I always stalk best buy for certain equipment. You can find open box items for great prices when the item goes on sale, the open box price varies with the sale. I purchased my marantz 7013 open box w/ three year warranty

I paid a 1000 for it virtually brand new, I purchased from a best buy in an upper class neck of the woods and the guy bought it and didn't like it just returned it. Only thing missing was the box, but everything else was included. He didn't even take the stickers off the unit lol MSRP was 2200 at the time, average purchase price was 1800 as the 7015 was dropping and the sale price was 1400

I think the refurbished one from that one website was 1200 with a 1 year warranty.

Also think I know why he returned it, it had one issue but it only cost me 15 dollars to fix

I have asked about SVS before, I think they do not own anything SVS they are just doing third party sales. I have previously asked about when the subs are discontinued are clearance prices provided and they said, not sure if it's accurate, that no it goes back to SVS they dont actually own demos to sell them.

I believe the only way it would work is if someone purchases and returns the product. I think that's a rare occasion or the subs that probably no one wants.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Magnolia isn't best buy proper. It's a sort of separate, commissioned sales thing.

I got my PB16 a few years ago for a little less than the refurb price. The PB4000 was not as good a margin so no deal there. It's certainly worth a shot. I basically said that I could get it online for essentially the same price with a way better and easier return policy, right to my door, so what could he do for me?

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MacCali

Major Contributor
Magnolia isn't best buy proper. It's a sort of separate, commissioned sales thing.

I got my PB16 a few years ago for a little less than the refurb price. The PB4000 was not as good a margin so no deal there. It's certainly worth a shot. I basically said that I could get it online for essentially the same price with a way better and easier return policy, right to my door, so what could he do for me?
Yea I think it's a little more than that, I know that magnolia is actually a chain franchise audio store. The one which is closest to me is owned by a private owner who has his own home integration company as well so it was wise for him to go with magnolia as probably he can get better prices on equipment than a stand alone audio shop. He said in the area he's the number 1 sound united retailer, and I am not surprised he had the most units available for demo vs other stores. Clearly he has to break best buy off something

I asked since the 7013 was being discontinued if I could get a discount and he said those demo units aint his so he cant sell them, somewhat like the SVS situation

But to get to the point, clearly as a franchise the owner gets the final call so maybe @RickSanchez should try a few stores if one declines

This is when I was shopping for my AVR. This guy told me, Audioholics and I forget which other forums I was communicating with when I first got into audio in late 2020. Told me it would be impossible to ever get a 11 channel AVR for around a 1000 dollars that's decent power wise. Irony in that is that magnolia was the one that sold me that unit for a 1000. Something to consider though was this was prior to all the shortages

sandymc

FYI, Shenzhen Audio's midyear sale is on. E.g., they have the Colorfly CDA M1 dongle Dac/amp for $10 off, so $80.99, which seems like a pretty good deal.

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amazon, the JBL site, B&H, AKG, Sweetwater, and Musicians Friend all have the AKG K371 on sale for $109.

Four Kneez

JBL LSR310S subwoofer down from $465 to $299 on JBL’s site, Amazon, Sweetwater, B&H, etc.

Last edited:

jovy1

good looking out been wanting to buy this guy for a long while now. Just purchased!
just received my dac from amazon.ca $578 cnd. i first saw it posted for 799. added to my cart then it kept going down $50 every few days till $650. next day it went to $1150 and i was kicking myself. 2 days later it was 578. already noticing deeper bass, sweeter mids and fuller ,sound. from previous audio engine D1 for streaming music, and 25 year old MSB linc dac for my cd

MacCali

Major Contributor
just received my dac from amazon.ca $578 cnd. i first saw it posted for 799. added to my cart then it kept going down $50 every few days till $650. next day it went to $1150 and i was kicking myself. 2 days later it was 578. already noticing deeper bass, sweeter mids and fuller ,sound. from previous audio engine D1 for streaming music, and 25 year old MSB linc dac for my cd
still haven't had time to set mine up. Going back to work again has been killer timer consuming.. got my JBL A190's on hold and this one too. Will use it shortly lol

Top Bottom