• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K371 Review (closed back headphone)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure yet, but it seems I'm sensitive to the exact frequency of treble peaks as well as their amplitude. As I've mentioned, I am already an owner of the HE4XX along with many others (K712pro, HE400i older version, THX00 Ebony, HD58X and a few other over ears and lots of on ears and IEMs), just that I do not have *most of them with me currently. I have owned and sold off many others of all form factors too, including the R70X and K553pro, not counting the supposed TOTL sets I have tried

PS: My listening preferences should have changed during this time though. My current reference is a customised Moondrop Aria
If it's treble peaks that bother you, I'm assuming you're meaning above 10kHz in this instance? If that's the case then you could try using a High Shelf at 10000Hz to tweak the levels down. Or to do it in a more targetted way maybe you could listen to slow sine sweeps using an online generator (https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/ ), and that could help you identify where the loud peaks are and an approximation of the width of frequencies that it spans, then you'd put in a peak filter at that point to dial it down, then you'd run the sweep again. You might want to do the same sine sweeps on a speaker system first though as long as it's quite flat anechoically to make sure you haven't got some natural peaks in your hearing (for instance I have a strong increase in my hearing between 8000-12000Hz if I remember rightly) so you wouldn't correct such natural peaks in your hearing. One potential problem is that the position of those annoying peaks in headphones might change a bit each time you take off & replace the headphone, due to slightly different headphone positioning, but again that would be something try. I've never had to go to those lengths to reduce treble peaks above 10kHz but it's an idea. I have used such sine sweeps below 10kHz though to verify some EQ decisions in some headphone EQ's I've done in the past, more about identifying "local" peaks as obviously it's pretty impossible to judge the absolute level but you can relative to the surrounding frequencies......I've used it before but not much.

Music1969

Major Contributor
There are compression issues starting at 85dB so when Amir measures this one at 114dB SPL expect huge amounts of distortion in the lows.
It is a lot warmer/bassier than K371 and mids are a bit 'boomy'... not so with K371.
Comfort of the Shure is really good but it is 4x as expensive.
Hi @solderdude

Are these stock Shure 1540 cables made properly - 4 seperate/insulated wires for the entire length of the 6 ft cable?

They only join together at the 3.5mm plug only?

And do Shure making a longer compatible cable? Like 10ft or 15ft?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would assume these are 4 wire all the way to the TRS jack.

Replacement Dual-Exit Cable Assembly HPASCA3 (1.8m straight = stock for 1540)
Replacement Dual-Exit Detachable Cable HPASCA2 (2.1m straight = stock for 1440, 1840)

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Followup: Just talked with Harman Pro on the telephone, to whom my repair request had been routed. I emailed him my receipt and he approved a warranty replacement on the spot and provided an RMA. They are sending me a shipping label. There was apparently an email sent to me back when I wrote the above--their systems showed it but I never received it.

Rick "pleased to talk to a real person who had the authority to be responsive" Denney
Replacement has arrived, a couple of weeks ago while I was away on business. Still haven't opened the box, but now I have a pair of Drop Sennheiser HD6XX phones to compare them to.

Rick "in the fullness of time" Denney

ithehappy

Please move this post if there's a K361 thread, I am unable to find one, hence posting here.

So I bought a K361 despite my hesitation (due to the build quality issues) last week and the same was delivered to me yesterday. The import date on the box is May, 2020. I contacted the seller and asked why they sent a two year old product, and they replied that AKG/Harman has not sent them any fresh stocks and that I will get old stocks from all retailers that have them. So I went ahead and contacted a different retailer having it in stock, and sure enough they confirmed this, that the import date is exactly same, May, 2020. I have already decided to return this product, but just running this by you as a last measure, that the build quality issues were most prominent in the earliest batches right? And they were reportedly fixed later on?

I have emailed Harman India branch as well, asking why they are not sending the retailers fresh stock, I shall see what they say.

Regarding sound, while music is very much enjoyable on this, when I enter CS Go, there's a constant rumbling sound, every foot step, every jump, every shot, all clouded by this thunderous, rumble sound. Details is lacking. I am coming from a DT770 and I am pretty sure that it was completely different (as it should be) but I don't understand where this rumbling is coming from! I briefly had a M20x for few days in between the 770 and K361 and I don't recall it producing any rumble in CSGo either!

I am thinking of getting a M30x now. It doesn't give me any confidence putting the K361 over my head, as I am constantly worrying that something might break, the build is rather flimsy!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am thinking of getting a M30x now. It doesn't give me any confidence putting the K361 over my head, as I am constantly worrying that something might break, the build is rather flimsy!
The Sennheiser phones are wayyyy more comfortable that a MX30x. I used both and the Sennheisers make the M30x feel very uncomfortable especially for hours of gaming action. Any of these models are renowned for comfort and sound. The prices are in Canadian dollars.
Screenshot 2022-06-20 131548.png

Robin L

Master Contributor
The Sennheiser phones are wayyyy more comfortable that a MX30x. I used both and the Sennheisers make the M30x feel very uncomfortable especially for hours of gaming action. Any of these models are renowned for comfort and sound. The prices are in Canadian dollars.
View attachment 213810
I've got the HD 579 and 599. Sorta like the 579 better, Thing there's a boost in the intelligibility range, around 2.5 khz with the HD 579s, increases clarity with speech and also singers. Equally comfortable.

But the Drop 6XX is even better.

Robin L

Master Contributor

ithehappy

View attachment 213810
I did decide on the HD 569 but almost all the reviews on reddit spoke against it. It has terrible sound, they say. So went with the K361 at last moment.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got the HD 579 and 599. Sorta like the 579 better, Thing there's a boost in the intelligibility range, around 2.5 khz with the HD 579s, increases clarity with speech and also singers. Equally comfortable.

But the Drop 6XX is even better.
More comfy than the Sennheiser 5xx series?
As comfy, but better sound.
My quick opinion on this is that HD600 and HD560s are both equally comfortable, but the HD560s is a more superior headphone when EQ'd, both in the bass and also for soundstage & imaging. I'd take the HD560s any day of the week in a preference......also not all the HD5xx are created equal, they have different frequency responses for a start, haven't looked into comparing distortion measurements though, and they almost definitely have different drivers, etc, even if the "chassis" of the headphone is the same or very similar.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My quick opinion on this is that HD600 and HD560s are both equally comfortable, but the HD560s is a more superior headphone when EQ'd, both in the bass and also for soundstage & imaging. I'd take the HD560s any day of the week in a preference......also not all the HD5xx are created equal, they have different frequency responses for a start, haven't looked into comparing distortion measurements though, and they almost definitely have different drivers, etc, even if the "chassis" of the headphone is the same or very similar.
We need more of the 5xx series tested so we can have results and see what is up.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We need more of the 5xx series tested so we can have results and see what is up.
Yeah, why not, I'd like to see that. We have some frequency responses we can see from Oratory, but there's more to it than just that - even though it's very important in itself.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, why not, I'd like to see that. We have some frequency responses we can see from Oratory, but there's more to it than just that - even though it's very important in itself.
I have 2 different Sennheisers and am more than willing to send 'em on over to Washington State but I think customs will charge for duty on them as if they are new. I have the HD 598SR and the GAME ONE. I'll investigate this when I have not had a couple of beers and gin and tonics. Border Services/Customs is kind of a serious chat to have. Give me a couple days and I'll sort it out.

product_detail_x2_desktop_HD_598SR-sennheiser-01_530x@2x.jpg

68f23ea6-f8d8-4ed1-8478-e5e9e10e4e58_17951_game-one-black_a1_3d-view_fullsizepng.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did decide on the HD 569 but almost all the reviews on reddit spoke against it. It has terrible sound, they say. So went with the K361 at last moment.
The Sennheisers need PEQ. It's imperative that EQ/PEQ is used. Once PEQ'd they sound fantastic. :D The K361 will sound fine.

Top Bottom