• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Horror movies

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
usually don't like horrors, but "Donnie Darko" is so mysterious, I had to watch it twice to understand. It's misleading. By the time u get it - movie is over and u hafta rewatch :)

dutchboy

Forum Donor
Martyrs is probably the most disturbing film i've seen, one of the few instances where a film really got under my skin and stayed itching for a while...
I agree.
A lot of movie reviews like to use words like "brutal", "disturbing" and "difficult to watch", this movie took it to a whole other level for me.
Martyrs left me speechless...for days. It really leaves a mark.
The film itself is gorgeously shot with excellent lighting, acting and makeup, but that does make it any easier to watch.
The movie is a lot to endure. I have had the disk for almost a year now and can not bring myself to watch it again.

Last edited:

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Man is devil, woman is god and house is earth. Storyline is from bible ?

Close.

It's is the story of Creation. God, Mother Earth, Cain, Able, Garden of Eden, man, etc. Definitely 'old testament'. A brilliant film.

I might have missed its mention in this thread, but Under The Skin (2013) is one of the best films I've seen, horror or otherwise.

Last edited:

David Harper

"The Invisible Man" is great.

Vict0r

Recently watched Titane: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10944760/

French art house/body horror that should appeal to fans of the French Extreme cinema scene. Think Gaspar Noé or Pascal Laugier, that sort of stuff. Reminded me a little of some of Von Trier's or Cronenberg's work as well.

titane_quad.jpg

Darc

Probably hardest to find a good Horror movie - thanks for the list, I'll look through. I liked the Gothic movie when I was little (I discovered Behind Blue Eyes from Limp Bizkit then the original from The WHo)

LightninBoy

Some more thoughts on recent horror watches ...

Dark was the Night (2014), C+. Paint by numbers horror movie. Solid performances and character focus elevated it above average.

Hell House LLC, B. My family used to build haunted mazes so I'm probably more interested than most in this concept. Creative use of the found footage format.

Tentacles (Hulu), D. Its hard to make a "psychosexual thriller" boring. They succeeded.

Pig, A+. Ok, sorry, its not a horror film but just an awesome frickin movie. Please watch (its on Hulu) so we can get more movies like this.

Censor, A. Great concept and great execution. Hard to believe this is the director/writer's first feature length film. Take "Mandy", turn down the acid trip level a couple notches (not off), add an actual story set in an interesting time period, and you have Censor.

Vict0r

Take "Mandy", turn down the acid trip level a couple notches (not off), add an actual story set in an interesting time period, and you have Censor.

I love Mandy, so I'll definitely check out your suggestion. Thanks! :)

1117206.jpg

dutchboy

Forum Donor
Some more thoughts on recent horror watches ...

Dark was the Night (2014), C+. Paint by numbers horror movie. Solid performances and character focus elevated it above average.

Hell House LLC, B. My family used to build haunted mazes so I'm probably more interested than most in this concept. Creative use of the found footage format.

Tentacles (Hulu), D. Its hard to make a "psychosexual thriller" boring. They succeeded.

Pig, A+. Ok, sorry, its not a horror film but just an awesome frickin movie. Please watch (its on Hulu) so we can get more movies like this.

Censor, A. Great concept and great execution. Hard to believe this is the director/writer's first feature length film. Take "Mandy", turn down the acid trip level a couple notches (not off), add an actual story set in an interesting time period, and you have Censor.
LightninBoy,
Thanks for the write up and suggestions. I checked out "Censor" the other night and really enjoyed it. If it were not for you, I don't think I would have ever heard of this one.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Halloween Kills
My review,

LightninBoy

And some more ...

Nightmare Alley (2021), B. Looks gorgeous, great cast, one of my favorite directors (del Toro). The story was just super thin. Liked it more than "Shape of Water" though.

Antlers, C+. Another del Toro movie (producer this time). Again, looks gorgeous and the concept was strong. Weak cast, characters, and screenplay.

Susperia (2018), A. Not a perfect movie, but pretty damn close. Mixing dance and witchcraft is a brilliant concept. Lots of strangely non sexual nudity and some cool body horror.

Sinister, C. I don't get the hype.

Possessor (Uncut), B+. This is a great movie and probably should be an A. It has a cool sci-fi premise, and shocking body horror and sex scenes. I should've been more entertained, but I was mostly confused until literally the last line of dialog. The story is the darkest and most shocking element of the movie and I wasn't tracking it until the very end.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Perhaps suspense rather than horror, but What Lies Beneath may be worth a mention here?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It Follows. The film actually is a social commentary. It's set in the greater Detroit area, and the main characters are the teen aged children of the well off who live in Grosse Pointe. They live indolent and aimless lives full of afternoons by the swimming pool and summertime hook ups in the backseats of BMWs. They're the kids who live North of Eight Mile road, whose parents have beach cottages on Lake Michigan and whose high schools have Olympic sized swimming pools. When one of them is infected with a supernatural STD, somehow the guy who passed it on knows all the rules and spills the beans complete with demonstration. Of course the rule is that, if you have IT a supernatural invulnerable entity invisible to everyone but you willl relentlessly stalk you until it kills you, but the good news is you can pass it on to someone else by having sex with them and then you're safe until the IT in IT Follows kills that person, and guess what, you are once again the target of IT. Thus, It represents something new for the fortunate sons and daughters, the need to continuously watch your back--a condition both novel and horrific in this strata of society.

When the kids come to grips with that reality, they decide to pass IT to one of the nerd (incel) boys (kind of hilarious) who had the hots for the infected girl since Middle School. He then promptly goes south of Eight Mile Road, to have sex with and pass it on to an African American streetwalker. Presumably nerd boy didn't give his unsuspecting victim the warning Grosse Pointe girl received, leaving this condition to infect and spread throughout that community. Kind of a genocidal dick move, when you think about it.

And that's how the movie ends--with the Princess and the Nerd walking down the sidewalk in their comfortable Grosse Pointe neighborhood, always watching their backs to see whether IT is following. Serves them right.

Last edited:

Vict0r

It Follows. The film actually is a social commentary. It's set in the greater Detroit area, and the main characters are the teen aged children of the well off who live in Grosse Pointe. They live indolent and aimless lives full of afternoons by the swimming pool and summertime hook ups in the backseats of BMWs. They're the kids who live North of Eight Mile road, whose parents have beach cottages on Lake Michigan and whose high schools have Olympic sized swimming pools. When one of them is infected with a supernatural STD, somehow the guy who passed it on knows all the rules and spills the beans complete with demonstration. Of course the rule is that, if you have IT a supernatural invulnerable entity invisible to everyone but you willl relentlessly stalk you until it kills you, but the good news is you can pass it on to someone else by having sex with them and then you're safe until the IT in IT Follows kills that person, and guess what, you are once again the target of IT. Thus, It represents something new for the fortunate sons and daughters, the need to continuously watch your back--a condition both novel and horrific in this strata of society.

When the kids come to grips with that reality, they decide to pass IT to one of the nerd (incel) boys (kind of hilarious) who had the hots for the infected girl since Middle School. He then promptly goes south of Eight Mile Road, to have sex with and pass it on to an African American streetwalker. Presumably nerd boy didn't give his unsuspecting victim the warning Grosse Pointe girl received, leaving this condition to infect and spread throughout that community. Kind of a genocidal dick move, when you think about it.

And that's how the movie ends--with the Princess and the Nerd walking down the sidewalk in their comfortable Grosse Pointe neighborhood, always watching their backs to see whether IT is following. Serves them right.

The scene with the giant (?) suddenly walking through the darkened doorway and entering the room made me jump. Good movie. :D

Top Bottom