• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Kit Speaker Review (video)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Video review of my recently tested GR Research LGK 2.0 DIY Kit speaker. There is bonus content here including recording of the sound coming out of the speaker and some additional graphs (which were also added to the text review):

sam_adams

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Amir's mugshot is better than the headless panther:

amir.png

So bad he had to put on his headphones.

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"C a s h G r a b !" :facepalm:
It's fun because in the end it was really a joke, specially for that price. I mean, I'm not aware about passive's prices, so just took a look at some store and started laughing every time I saw a reputed model below the price. It's a joke, and not that bad as a joke really. You buy this and then discover that for 50 extra bucks you could have had a pair of arias 906, just to name a pair. xD

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's fun because in the end it was really a joke, specially for that price. I mean, I'm not aware about passive's prices, so just took a look at some store and started laughing every time I saw a reputed model below the price. It's a joke, and not that bad as a joke really. You buy this and then discover that for 50 extra bucks you could have had a pair of arias 906, just to name a pair. xD
It's a bad thing. It puts the entire audio industry in ill repute because he is offering junk for such a exorbitant price. :facepalm:

bsas

@amirm What is the name of that test song? I like the song :)… (and I want to hear it on my speakers that don’t distort)

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a bad thing. It puts the entire audio industry in ill repute because he is offering junk for such a exorbitant price. :facepalm:
Not sure if this little thing is that harmful for the audio industry... perhaps to some audiophiles that blindly trust the brand might be devastating if they see how easy is to recognize how bad they are.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm What is the name of that test song? I like the song :)… (and I want to hear it on my speakers that don’t distort)
It is in the youtube description.

Music track: Claire Martin / Too Much In Love To Care

It is the first track I listen to for any speaker/headphone review.

bsas

Thanks!!! It would be interesting if we had a list of tracks you use and what do you look for into each, just out of curiosity and learning… Thanks again!

james57

Great insight on the testing and also explains some of the protocol. what really kills me is not that the speaker may sound bad and questionable design but this price range commands way more performance.

YSC

Major Contributor
listened to that recording... really a horrible one... it makes the singer sounds like with a sour throat... it's acceptable to a $10 PC speaker at flee market for "whatever makes any sound" but not this "giant killer" ... ok, I have no idea if you can kill a Giant with poor sound

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks!!! It would be interesting if we had a list of tracks you use and what do you look for into each, just out of curiosity and learning… Thanks again!
My pleasure. I post most of my test tracks elsewhere but can't find them now. Maybe one of the members has bookmarked it. I will post the female tracks which this one is part of soon.

Andreas007

Amir, thanks for this enjoyable video. But to really appreciate this little giant killer you have to run this track:

;)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was mainly interested in this video to see how the recording of the speaker came accross - when it was discussed in the review thread for this speaker I wasn't really a proponent for recording the sound of speakers for playback by others. I listened to the short music clip (I could have done without Amir's croak halfway through as it was distracting from the listening & introduces some psychological bias), however I did hear some warbling in the voice towards the end and it wasn't as obvious as I expected it to sound. I don't have much experience detecting distortion as I've I only ever tested myself in formal tests twice, but I can detect distortion it seems (https://www.klippel.de/listeningtest/?page=test&testrunId=663101&step=17&answer=1 ) - whether or not a "recording of a speaker" reduced my ability to hear distortion is possible versus actually listening to the speaker itself.....and maybe also because I'm not familiar with that piece of music and there was no perfect vs distorted version of the track to listen to in an A/B situation.......either way I expected this speakers measured distortion to be more audible in that clip. I of course wouldn't buy this speaker, and my views haven't changed on this speaker being a rip-off, but I'm still not sold on the worthiness of "recording the sound of a speaker" for playback by others.

(I was listening to the clip on HD560s headphones)

Top Bottom