• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Now this thing doesnt seems like a "no brainer", many issues and one can only hope for the fix.
If these things can be fixable with an update...
The relay clicking is under software control, not hardware. I would be shocked if it cannot be remedied. What we need to do is find out the circumstances that makes it happen so Topping can fix it. On my system with native windows drivers it doesn't happen so I am out of commission. I did however tell Topping about the issue and linked to this thread last week. I expect them to be responsive and resolve this issue.

BTW, this is why I have not created a post on what products I say are good to buy despite constant requests to do so. It comes back to haunt me after the fact. :( I don't have any relationship with these companies. I test them and if they perform well, I give recommendation. It is up to you guys to decide to be the first person on the block to own one, or wait to see the experience of others to purchase it. I can't be accountable to reliability issues for products with a one unit sample that I have.

NDRQ

Thank you the answer.

Maybe they wanted to fool you and sent you a "golden sample" unit? What do you think about this option?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thank you the answer.

Maybe they wanted to fool you and sent you a "golden sample" unit? What do you think about this option?
With respect to performance, that can be the case. With respect to relay clicking, I don't see how that is possible. If they have one unit without this problem, why would they ship the rest with it?

If one of you is in US and is experiencing the relay clicking, you can send your unit and I can test both for that and performance.

NDRQ

Im living in the EU, so that would be some very expensive package, and now i also want to wait with orders, until Topping clarify the things.

Btw i dont think that you have to say that you recommend something, because your measurements doing that already.

Bigsy

The relay clicking is under software control, not hardware. I would be shocked if it cannot be remedied. What we need to do is find out the circumstances that makes it happen so Topping can fix it. On my system with native windows drivers it doesn't happen so I am out of commission. I did however tell Topping about the issue and linked to this thread last week. I expect them to be responsive and resolve this issue.

BTW, this is why I have not created a post on what products I say are good to buy despite constant requests to do so. It comes back to haunt me after the fact. :( I don't have any relationship with these companies. I test them and if they perform well, I give recommendation. It is up to you guys to decide to be the first person on the block to own one, or wait to see the experience of others to purchase it. I can't be accountable to reliability issues for products with a one unit sample that I have.
I think its a bit disingenuous to state you don't have a relationship, Topping sent you a preproduction unit, no one else here got one.

I don't have any issue with you reviewing a preproduction unit but how can you "recommend the Topping DX3Pro wholeheartedly" when you are reviewing something that none of us will see in retail channels.

bleachershane

Also emailed Topping support, despite not received the device.
I do believe that if one or two people email, the issue may be ignored, but there is something behind strength in numbers in getting things done.

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Now this thing doesnt seems like a "no brainer", many issues and one can only hope for the fix.
If these things can be fixable with an update...

Overall the review is very misleading, for someone who just reading the review. I really dont want to hurt the host, but its like some random paid review, showing good things and silent about the problems. I also made a fault, i told my friend to buy this because he needed a good 2in1 device. Now i really dont know what to tell him, when he receive the product and notice the issues...

I don't think it is fair.

Amir just made recommendations based on his measurements and observations. The recommendations could be right or could be wrong. Or they could fit your need or may be not.

I don't think you should hold Amir accountable for his recommendation. After all, he cannot test every possible aspect of a product, particularly if a product is related to different computer operating systems. As a matter of fact, all consumers should do their own comprehensive research before making any decision (such as, getting information not just from a single review) and take their own risk for purchasing any product.

For myself, my expertise teaches me that I only use proven technologies. So, I avoid buying anything from first launch most of the time. But many people like the excitement of buying newly-released products. It is a matter of personal choice and preferences.

Also, Amir made it clear in the review that it was a pre-production unit. He has already done his best.

Bigsy

I don't think it is fair.

Amir just made recommendations based on his measurements and observations. The recommendations could be right or could be wrong. Or they could fit your need or may be not.

I don't think you should hold Amir accountable for his recommendation. After all, he cannot test every possible aspect of a product, particularly if a product is related to different computer operating systems. As a matter of fact, all consumers should do their own comprehensive research before making any decision (such as, getting information not just from a single review) and take their own risk for purchasing any product.

For myself, my expertise teaches me that I only use proven technologies. So, I avoid buying anything from first launch most of the time. But many people like the excitement of buying newly-released products. It is a matter of personal choice and preferences.

Also, Amir made it clear in the review that it was a pre-production unit. He has already done his best.
I follow quite a few popular reviewers and the really good ones generally do not do this, for example, dcrainmaker (sports goods) will get units (pre-production or otherwise to give feedback) from manufacturers, he shows previews, take measurements etc etc but makes no judgement. When it comes to the actual final review he will go a purchase a retail unit with his own money.

At the end of the day its foolish to stake your reputation on recommending something that ultimately is not something people will actually own when taking that advise.

Wolven

I'm willing to give Topping benefit of doubt, and talk to us. If they can fix the driver/firmware then clicking will become nonissue.
Personally, for what I use it for, it doesn't really matter. However, if wanted to sell DX3pro then it would become extremely hard, perhaps impossible.
I'm sure, Topping was hoping that everything was going to be fine with their product, and hopefully this is just a simple software issue.

My choice of DAC was based on this site, as I never even heard of Topping before.
Amirm's review was the key, he did his best to perform a test, no hurt feelings here.
DX3pro sounds nice, but I would be lying if some of the tests and interpretations of members weren't making me nervous, in retrospect.

Funny thing, I never jump on bandwagon of new products, and have never bought from China before.
....probably it's because DX3pro is so cute looking...... :)

Last edited:

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I follow quite a few popular reviewers and the really good ones generally do not do this, for example, dcrainmaker (sports goods) will get units (pre-production or otherwise) from manufacturers, he shows previews, take measurements etc etc but makes no judgement. When it comes to the actual final review he will go a purchase a retail unit with his own money.

I don't think there is any golden standard on under what circumstances one should give recommendations or not. Why should you impose your standard as universal?

The most important thing, to me, is that Amir already made it clear it was a pre-production unit. People should take all the information provided into account.

Bigsy

I don't think there is any golden standard on under what circumstances one should give recommendations or not. Why should you impose your standard as universal?

The most important thing, to me, is that Amir already made it clear it was a pre-production unit. People should take all the information provided into account.
It's not my standard, its common sense. I repeat
At the end of the day its foolish to stake your reputation on recommending something that ultimately is not something people will actually own when taking that advise.

pacman

It appears to be the "golden sample" case, it's very common with CPUs and video cards. Experienced users always waits for other users reviews and benchmarks before buy a new product. Intel, AMD, nVidia and others manufacturers pays a lot of money to get positive biased reviews on internet and create what we call "the hype".

I presume that these bad commercial practices also occurs in the expensive "hi-fi" world and in minor scale in the cheaper "chi-fi" segment.

We all know that some FX Audio and SMSL gear are poor designed and lacks quality control, but from what I've seen Topping is an above-average chinese manufacturer, and nobody could expect a flaw like this on a U$200 DAC from them.

To the OP: it would be good to add an advice on review to warn those who are planning to buy the DX3Pro to wait a little and let's see how Topping will handle this.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
To the OP: it would be good to add an advice on review to warn those who are planning to buy the DX3Pro to wait a little and let's see how Topping will handle this.
I have added it:

1543786209374.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't see it that way. I have added the recommendations based on user requests. For many it is hard for them to interpret the technical tests and want to know if at the end of the day this would be a device that I would personally buy. In this case I absolutely would and indeed I am listening to my DX3 Pro as I am typing this.

My reviews are some of the harshest around. I am very strong on anything I find an issue from feel to usability of the products. And of course measurements. By the time I am doing, this is akin to taking a mechanic with you to shop for a car. He looks it over and gives you a thumbs up. After you buy it and notice the headlight upper beam doesn't work right, you can't say he was not a good mechanic. Or he should not have helped you at all with his assessment.

Remember, I am not alone in this: I have power instrumentation that give me confidence in what I am assessing. It is not like I am sampling cheese and telling you to buy it or not. :)

As I explained in my last post, even my review recommendations are not enough and folks want me to highlight the few products they should go and buy. I am here as an informal service to the user community. I can't please all of you but I will do so for the majority.

Finally, I always recommend that people buy these products through Amazon, etc. where returns are easy and instant. That is how I have bought all of my Topping products (mostly Amazon and a few from Massdrop). If you go and buy through complicated channels with difficult recourse, then that is up to you. If you bought it from the channels I recommend then you are not out anything should your experience be different than mine.

Bigsy

It's fine if that's how you want to run it, your site and reviews and all that, it's your business. But if you recommend things that turn out to not work correctly you are only calling into question your own impartiality as a reviewer. But that's your call, and I'll say nothing more on the matter.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But if you recommend things that turn out to not work correctly you are only calling into question your own impartiality as a reviewer.
Which reviewer ever vouches for reliability of products outside of the one he has tested?

Bigsy

Looks a bit dodgy when yours is the only one to work correctly though doesn't it?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Looks a bit dodgy when yours is the only one to work correctly though doesn't it?
That would be *great* news if mine is the only one that is working. Then Topping would know exactly what they changed in later units that is causing this issue. Alas, since hardly anyone has received theirs, and you wouldn't know about all the owner experiences, your theory is not something we can rely on.

I expect Topping will be able to share a lot more useful data with us once they respond. If their units in production don't have this problem, then again, your theory is not sound. But if they do, then I am confident a resolution will come quickly.

The worst case scenario is when a random subset have this issue with no direct way to replicate it.

FYI, there was an issue with Topping D10 and computer going to sleep. It took a while to get a repro but once there, Topping fixed the problem with firmware updates.

I get that you are frustrated but you aiming that at me isn't going to resolve the issue. You need to wait until Topping responds and then we know where we stand.

And yes, it is my site and I will continue to make recommendations on products that I find highly performant.

pauze

I run my DX3 with Topping's supplied driver, playing Foobar via ASIO. As mentioned by others it performs as expected here. I want to test the issues that folks are experiencing but don't see WASAPI as an option. Do I need to uninstall the Topping drivers?

Top Bottom