• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of SMSL VMV D1 DAC

mn4

Can confirm the D1 works in Native DSD 512 in Linux no problem - it is an XMOS u208 after all. I did have to add an entry for the D1 in the linux kernel and recompile. Have submitted a patch so hopefully in future won't need a custom kernel.

To my surprise (or maybe not, going by these measurements!!) is just how much of a step up the DSD performance is to its already excellent PCM performance.

It's easily going toe-to-toe with my existing DAC in DSD (T+A DAC 8 DSD) and ofcourse leaving it for dead in PCM mode. Only been powered on for 10 days or so.

On previous DACs the differences between filters in HQPlayer were subtle, where as they have more of a profound impact on the D1's output.

Well done SMSL, hell of a way to declare your high-end intentions on your first attempt?!

Veri

Master Contributor
Also worth mentioning, my D1 unit had a few scuffs on arrival (top of chassis marks). After sending pictures, SMSL customer services are sending a replacement shell so I can replace it myself. No fuss!
That's very graceous service :)

mn4

Well, that lasted long. It's output has suddenly become very quiet, in either fixed or variable mode. Have tried a factory reset, no impact. Let's see how customer services manages this...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well, that lasted long. It's output has suddenly become very quiet, in either fixed or variable mode. Have tried a factory reset, no impact. Let's see how customer services manages this...
With or without the mod?

mn4

With or without the mod?
There's a mod? From its XLR outputs, not modified it at all.

edit: oh sorry, at max with variable volume is the same as fixed volume control - its output has significantly dropped.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
There's a mod? From its XLR outputs, not modified it at all.
Oops. Sorry, I thought I was in SMSL SU-8 thread. :)

No mod for this. Is the problem the same for XLR and RCA? And no issue for target amplifier?

mn4

Oops. Sorry, I thought I was in SMSL SU-8 thread. :)

No mod for this. Is the problem the same for XLR and RCA? And no issue for target amplifier?

Amps are fine, just plugged T+A into same source, all good. I don't have any amps with RCA inputs, so won't be able to test that. Did factory reset a few times just in case, no improvement even left in "fixed" mode from a reset.

mn4

If they get me an exchanged unit fast (they have stock in EU) I'm happy :) Going back to the T+A ... eeeish. D1 really is a step forward in PCM mode (when it works, ofcourse)

Last edited:

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
If they get me an exchanged unit fast (they have stock in EU) I'm happy :) Going back to the T+A ... eeeish. D1 really is a step forward (when it works, ofcourse)

Can you leave a e-mail for me? Our aliexpress CS will contact you as soon as possible. Thank you so much.

mn4

They have contacted, asking for a video showing the problem. OK, i'll try!

mn4

SMSL customer services via Aliexpress asked me to email a video to [email protected] which I did - to find i'm getting "550 user not found". Sigh. @SMSL-Mandy can you let me know the correct email address please?

mn4

@SMSL-Mandy I've sent you the email via PM on here. I've also sent a copy to SMSL Customer services via AliExpress.

mn4

SMSL customer services coming through, should have replacement by Monday. Would have been sooner, but no stock in EU/UK.

mn4

Replacement arrived and working (so far). Must have paid a lot of $$$ to get it from HK so fast.... no battery in remote this time, but at least the case wasn't bashed up like previous :)

mn4

OK, so DAC is stable and behaving as expected, breaking in well. However I seem to have received a remote which half the time decides to go in the wrong direction volume wise o_O back to Customer Services...

Last edited:

FalFung

Hi @amirm ! Is it possible for you to take a photo of inside the VMV-D1, together with the old board you took out? I am very interested in seeing whether SMSL has improved/updated their design through the manufacturing cycle (with newer version of board design). Also I could be more confident to know if I receive the latest version of the product.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hi @amirm ! Is it possible for you to take a photo of inside the VMV-D1, together with the old board you took out? I am very interested in seeing whether SMSL has improved/updated their design through the manufacturing cycle (with newer version of board design). Also I could be more confident to know if I receive the latest version of the product.
I already sent the old board to SMSL. I still have the D1 but I put it together and it is a lot of effort to assemble/disassemble. So unfortunately I can't do this.

Top Bottom