• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Advice on amplifier for a passive subwoofer.

Santu

I recently got my hands on this subwoofer drive:

SB Acoustics SW26DBAC76-8 10’’ Aluminum Cone Shallow Subwoofer

The plan is to integrate de subwofer into a racing simulation rig, the driver will be built into a closed box right under de seat.
Has far has I could understand, de best way to do it, is to get a dedicated subwoofer amplifier and to connect it to de "pre out" on de Denon AVR X2700h - AV receiver (where the other speakers get their power from)

I've been seaching for a while for a matching amplifier and it has been pretty confusing to me. I wonder if you have any sugestion?
I am also wondering if it is possible to use an amp from the car-audio world and make it work?

AwesomeSauce2015

Also, you'll probably want to connect whatever amplifier you get to the subwoofer pre outs on the Denon, and make sure your other speakers are not set to "large" in order for the Denon to handle the crossover.

OP
S

Santu

You're gonna want an amp with DSP or a separate DSP if you want the sub to play into the 20s.

Something like this would work
Thanks so much for your tips.
That Behringer amp seems to be good, a bit overkill for the driver but with lots of options.
I have seen other small subwoofer amps with options like "Low pass filter", "Bass boost", "High/low level"... Are any of those important? Are they included on the DSP of the Behringer amp?
Also, you'll probably want to connect whatever amplifier you get to the subwoofer pre outs on the Denon, and make sure your other speakers are not set to "large" in order for the Denon to handle the crossover.
Thanks! So, the Denon should handle the small speakers and crossover to the subwoofer amp. Then the sub amp will take over only on the lower frequency.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks so much for your tips.
That Behringer amp seems to be good, a bit overkill for the driver but with lots of options.
I have seen other small subwoofer amps with options like "Low pass filter", "Bass boost", "High/low level"... Are any of those important? Are they included on the DSP of the Behringer amp?

Thanks! So, the Denon should handle the small speakers and crossover to the subwoofer amp. Then the sub amp will take over only on the lower frequency.
The behringer has everything you need, which includes all of those. You have to boost the low end on sealed subs and some amps have a generic boost, while others give you more flexibility with how it's boosted.

As for overkill, I'd take their power rating with a grain of salt, but remember you will need power in order boost the frequency and a lot for every 3db.

Ported subs are going to be much more efficient compared to sealed subs.

AwesomeSauce2015

1. Behringer is known to overrate their equipment, so a 3kw Behringer amp probably can't actually handle 3kw into a speaker. AND it's always good to have excess amp power anyways, to avoid clipping which can be bad.

2. DSP is capable of doing all those things (except for high/low level inputs, that's a hardware thing), just with much more flexibility. You can use parametric EQ on a DSP to add in boost in the bass, at whatever frequency you want. You can also use it to add a high / low pass filter. You just have to learn how to program the DSP.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been seaching for a while for a matching amplifier and it has been pretty confusing to me. I wonder if you have any sugestion?
I am also wondering if it is possible to use an amp from the car-audio world and make it work?
Did you ever buy something?
IF not, and for other reading, I'll say
(1) Using a car audio amp means converting 120V to 12V DC to inside the amp 12V back up to a higher voltage. Super inefficient.
(2) Speakers are not resistors. Never mind their ohms. Amps are measured with resistors why, then? Convenience, time, money. Look at the 4Ω rating or better yet 2Ω when comparing amps.
(3) I believe right here somewhere a Crown 1502xxx tested as better than Behringer.

Top Bottom