• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8361A Review (Powered Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 4.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 638 94.4%

• Total voters

CMB

Of course this is true, but if 90db at 3m is all you need, you should go for 8341 with the 7360 sub. Only if you need higher SPL, you need bigger monitors, and bigger subs to go with them.
I enjoy the 8361a without a sub for now
Not sure anyway if it s really needed anyway.
It is perfect until 30Hz.

Also, I would say the 7360 should be good for more SPL anyway, maybe up to 100db at 3m.
That should already be enough for party levels.
Don’t you think?

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor

Also, I would say the 7360 should be good for more SPL anyway, maybe up to 100db at 3m.
Don’t you think?
Do you feel they sound "small" compared to floorstanders tower speakers?

Reactions: CMB

Kervel

Forum Donor

Don’t you think?
I think your system would sound awesome, with and without sub :)

At Genelec they just say: if you dont have high SPL needs, go for a smaller monitor + sub. If you need a lot, go for bigger ones. Balancing sub + monitor gives the most bang for the buck.

CMB

Do you feel they sound "small" compared to floorstanders tower speakers?
"small" ? No - not at all.
I have a pair of Piega towers (aluminium ;-)) and I listened extensively JBL HDI 3800, B&Ws and Focal Sopra towers for instance.
Nothing "smaller" with 8361, just better :), more transparent, more convincing, more natural, more balanced music flow to me (GLM also helps).
Curiously, and to my surprise, people at my home are usually and often even impressed specially by the bass, while I just find it structured/balanced...

Still absolutely happy and no regrets.
Not sure if I even would consider a sub.
What do I miss below 30 Hz? Maybe some massage, I will try once, but don't necessarily feel the need to.

Could not have found any better for me, no shortcoming or any concession found yet ;-).

CMB

I think your system would sound awesome, with and without sub :)

At Genelec they just say: if you dont have high SPL needs, go for a smaller monitor + sub. If you need a lot, go for bigger ones. Balancing sub + monitor gives the most bang for the buck.
It does actually :) and I am happy - thank you :).

Back to the 7360 :
Just came around this thread and it seems that SPL wise, it would easily fit nearly 96,8 to 99,2% of peoples SPL habits.

How loud do you normally have your music?​

How loud do you play your music?​

• Strictly as background while I do other things (<50db)​

Votes: 00.0%
  • Moderately loud so as not to disturb others (50 - 60db)​

Votes: 16 13.0%
  • Loud enough to take up my full attention (60 - 70db)​

Votes: 39 31.7%
  • Loud enough to compete with other noises (70 - 80db)​

Votes: 44 35.8%
  • I like it pretty darned loud (80 - 90db)​

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • Just like in a concert hall (90 - 100db)​

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Does anyone know how to stop my ears from bleeding (100+ db)​

Votes: 1 0.8%

KaLam1ty

My 8361a's go down to ~23Hz @ -6dB with room gain. So low end extension isn't as much a concern.
But if I were to integrate subs, it would be for covering room related issues - dips and such.

Honestly, my main concern with adding subs is how much actual physical space the larger ones would take up. Not the most attractive things either lol...

Dgob

If a sub, I would prefer a Genelec vs SVS, just for easy GLM integration.

Speaking about the 736a sam:
Does it not in the end, depends on the SPL you use or intend to use the 8361, respectively at what distance?

If the limitation of the 7360 is SPL only (which btw is still given at 113dB at 1m half space/ 118dB max peak);
but you never listen to your 8361 for instance >90dB at 3m. in what would the 7360 not be enough?

I understand that the 7360 might reach its limits before 8361, but, in a domestic use, how often does this be reached anyway?

7360 reaches down to 19Hz, where the 8361 ends at 30Hz, this is nice to have. But, 7370 or 7380 would be way way to massive for my living room anyway.
I completely empathise. I have just bought a second 7360A to go with my 8361A's. I had the same conversation with Genelec and we came to the same conclusion as you have here. The larger subs are simply too big for my listening space, but the 2x 7360A's transform the system with an acceptable footprint. And the spl's at which you do most of your listening is the only issue with the pairings.

CMB

I completely empathise. I have just bought a second 7360A to go with my 8361A's. I had the same conversation with Genelec and we came to the same conclusion as you have here. The larger subs are simply too big for my listening space, but the 2x 7360A's transform the system with an acceptable footprint. And the spl's at which you do most of your listening is the only issue with the pairings.
Would you say that 1 7360 is of a great benefit to it?

Hephaestus

Multiple smaller subs is usually the best way to go as you can achieve smoother bass response for a larger area. Those larger Genelec subs are certainly quite obtrusive decorative elements in a living room ;)

Dgob

Multiple smaller subs is usually the best way to go as you can achieve smoother bass response for a larger area. Those larger Genelec subs are certainly quite obtrusive decorative elements in a living room ;)
Almost divorce worthy: I fear. :)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I wonder if Neumann will one day would design a coaxial monitor to compete with the Genelecs ;)

Tangband

Major Contributor
Good 6 month wait, but they're finally here.
I knew these beans were huge and massive, but man.. kind of scary getting them down the stairs. Definitely do get help if you gotta move these.

I still have a ton of cable management and decor stuff to be done -- measurements, treatments, furniture rearrangements and the likes. So just a set-up tease for now:

View attachment 211375

View attachment 211376

I'll be sure to share some more details and some better photos when I get around to it. Having too much fun with them right now lol.
At the moment, mostly: Synology NAS > RP4 (PiCorePlayer) > MiniDSP SHD
Get proper stands for these speakers.
Maybe this can be used : SQ404 by custom design.
3DCED523-9932-4BCE-89F0-0D1EEC31EF81.jpeg

Last edited:

Dgob

Get proper stands for these speakers.
Maybe this can be used : SQ404 by custom design.
View attachment 214979
I can vouch for Tom at KMR. He (or one of his staff) will definitely be able to advise on options for your Genelecs. Also useful for advice on setup and the like: assuming that KaLam1ty wants to make changes/adjustments.

CMB

Actually, it is not easy to find stands that fits the dimensions and the weight of these without being ridiculous expensive.
I don’t think the DD stands are large enough.
What is wrong with his stands?

Tangband

Major Contributor
Actually, it is not easy to find stands that fits the dimensions and the weight of these without being ridiculous expensive.
I don’t think the DD stands are large enough.
What is wrong with his stands?
A proper stand puts the speaker at the correct hight, the one often specified by the manufacturer. Sometimes people put their speakers on shelves and thats gonna ruin the posibility to :

1. Put the loudspeaker at the correct position in the room for the best sound .

2. Massive diffraction artifacts coming from the shelf. You dont want that happening with your 10000 dollar speaker .

CMB

Thxs
I just wondered what might be actually wrong with his stands?
I guess he chooses them in the correct high for his listening position and they seem to be mowable into whatever place. So positioning should not be a problem.
Disfraction : I get your argument, but interestingly, if you look at the pictures/examples of Genelec’s own webpage, you see plenty examples of « ones » placed on shelves, simple stands with similar wooden square platforms, or on top of W371 etc…
Considering further that we are rather speaking here about a living room environment, as long as those stands look solid and stable, how much of a sonic difference would higher priced stands, such as those from DD make?

dhalem

Thxs
I guess he chooses them in the correct high for his listening position and they seem to be mowable into whatever place. So positioning should not be a problem.
Disfraction : I get your argument, but interestingly, if you look at the pictures/examples of Genelec’s own webpage, you see plenty examples of « ones » placed on shelves, simple stands with similar wooden square platforms, or on top of W371 etc…
Considering further that we are rather speaking here about a living room environment, as long as those stands look solid and stable, how much of a sonic difference would higher priced stands, such as those from DD make?
Thxs
It took a long time to get them but I had my 8361s on the official Genelec/K&M stands. They fit perfectly as you’d expect.

I’ve since wall mounted them which I prefer.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Thxs
Yes, but the best sound option is on a stand that dont bring diffraction problems. The Genelec pictures are probably for marketing . It would be sad to put those 8361 on a shelve when they have done such an extensive work trying to minimize diffraction in the loudspeaker construction.

Top Bottom