• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Designing a 3D Printable Case for the Khadas Tone Board

What was the material cost for it?
~80 cents for the ABS, plus about 20 cents for the electricity. I printed the case solid which is probably a bit overkill.

Printed a second one in PLA just in case I miscalculated the shrink rate of this ABS. The PLA print will be a fairer evaluation of how well the model fits.
Photo Dec 01, 5 41 54 PM 2.jpg

OldMold

~80 cents for the ABS, plus about 20 cents for the electricity. I printed the case solid which is probably a bit overkill.

Printed a second one in PLA just in case I miscalculated the shrink rate of this ABS. The PLA print will be a fairer evaluation of how well the model fits.
View attachment 18306

How much longer until your board arrives? The cases are looking great!

JohsonChou

My board is here, I am printing the model right now.

Frost

Got it, thanks! Will modify and update the stl in a little bit then. Lemme know how things fit when the body is done!

JohsonChou

Unfortunately the case doesn't fit. The model does not taken into account of the space that those surface mount component under the board takes. the holes on the front panel needs to move up a bit to fit. (about 2mm)
IMG_0019.jpg

JohsonChou

Actually probably 1.5mm is fine, 2mm seems too much. I am trying to make up a front panel that is fixed. (not a very good 3d modeler)

Frost

Cool, and thanks! Yeah, I couldn't find any information on the thickness of components underneath or if there was any at all so I was kind of worried about that. Edited and uploaded a new backplate stl file with all holes shifted up 2mm and the usb c slot widened 0.5mm. Lemme know how things work

Edit: Lol, just saw that last message, I'll just upload a version with the holes shifted 2mm and one shifted 1.5mm one so you can try both

JohsonChou

Great, printing one right now. Thanks for telling me that so I don't struggle with my sketchup...
Cool, and thanks! Yeah, I couldn't find any information on the thickness of components underneath or if there was any at all so I was kind of worried about that. Edited and uploaded a new backplate stl file with all holes shifted up 2mm and the usb c slot widened 0.5mm. Lemme know how things work

JohsonChou

Revised panel is a Good fit.
Final adjustment would be to widen the usb-c port further 0.5mm on the right side in this picture.
I personally also think the screw holes are not very useful since 90% of the weight is the RCA port, which is handled by the front panel.

IMG_0021.jpg

Frost

Revised panel is a Good fit.
Final adjustment would be to widen the usb-c port further 0.5mm on the right side in this picture.
I personally also think the screw holes are not very useful since 90% of the weight is the RCA port, which is handled by the front panel.

View attachment 18314
So the 2mm revision was correct? got it on the usb c port revision, modified and updated. Yeah, was debating the screw holes too, didn't think they'd really be necessary, but left them in in case someone wanted to screw things in to be extra sure things wouldn't go anywhere.

JohsonChou

So the 2mm revision was correct? got it on the usb c port revision, modified and updated. Yeah, was debating the screw holes too, didn't think they'd really be necessary, but left them in in case someone wanted to screw things in to be extra sure things wouldn't go anywhere.

Yes the 2mm revision was correct, thanks for your design

Frost

would you please upload the final design file with "widen the usb-c port further 0.5mm on the right side "?
It's already uploaded? or at least, I know I uploaded those changes about an hour and a half ago. Just waiting for my board to come in tuesday or another few members who have the board in hand and a 3d printer handy can verify things fit before I take off the work in progress tag

sometimes_ramen

My board will be coming sometime in the next week or so. Got some new PLA in today so I'll print the new designs out and report back how it fits when I get my board.

azif

Looking to print this on 3d hubs
What material / layer height / infill would you pros recommend?

JohsonChou

Looking to print this on 3d hubs
What material / layer height / infill would you pros recommend?

Tolerance on this is pretty good and there isn't any real load on it. PLA and 10% infill is sufficient.

billqs

My tone board arrived today. I ordered one of the DIY cases for Khadas board but they didn't send it. Looks like the whole enclosure can be 3D printed? I don't have a 3D printer. Would someone be willing to sell me a case?

Top Bottom