• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L50 - 4pin XLR out real advantages?

KomoGomolaa

Hi there. are there any real advantages to using 4pin XLR out instead of single ended TRS out? I am unable to to find this info in the L50 manual (they talk only about inputs). Thanks.

RHO

Major Contributor
Hi there. are there any real advantages to using 4pin XLR out instead of single ended TRS out? I am unable to to find this info in the L50 manual (they talk only about inputs). Thanks.
The L50 had a single ended output only. So the power on the 4-pin XLR is the same as on the TRS output. The advantage is that if you have a cable that has a 4-pin XLR termination you don't need to buy a converter cable to be able to use it.
The L50 should have plenty of power to drive even the very inefficient headphones. So nothing to worry about it not having real balanced outputs.

OP
K

KomoGomolaa

Care to elaborate more please? i'm a total electrical noob, but i see the difference that the SE output is basically wired like R+, L+ and ground (tip, ring, sleeve), whereas the 4pin XLR is basically wired as differential R+, R-, L+, L-.

With single ended TRS cable from LCD-X, if i am not mistaken, the L- and R- is tied together to the sleeve of the jack.

So the question is whether the L50 4pin XLR output has the R- and L- tied internally to the ground - is that correct and is it basically the same as SE output, but the 4pin out is used just for convenience? Thanks.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So the question is whether the L50 4pin XLR output has the R- and L- tied internally to the ground - is that correct and is it basically the same as SE output, but the 4pin out is used just for convenience? Thanks.
4-pin SE outputs wire both negative poles to ground. Compared to TRS, XLR is a non-rotating connector and makes a more robust connection. TRS often makes scratching noise as the cable rotates within the jack. 4-pin XLR has separated ground wires for left and right, which improves crosstalk.

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
4-pin SE outputs wire both negative poles to ground. Compared to TRS, XLR is a non-rotating connector and makes a more robust connection. TRS often makes scratching noise as the cable rotates within the jack. 4-pin XLR has separated ground wires for left and right, which improves crosstalk.
It can have separated grounds, but in the case of the L50, the ground is unified.

Top Bottom