• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ART Precision Phono Pre Review

Rate this phono stage:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 67 54.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 16 13.1%

• Total voters

sofrep811

I have one of these in a box and used it as a temp solution in between other pre-amps. One time I had the first Schiit Mani and when it arrived I swapped out the ART pre-amp and felt it sounded better than the Mani out of the box. Used the Mani for 6 months and sold it getting a Clearaudio Nano on a good deal. One of hundreds of phono amps I've been through and still keep the ART Preamp around.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
One of hundreds of phono amps I've been through
Hundreds, really?
All in search of the quality Hi Fi you can get from digital for $100 :facepalm:
Have fun I guess.

audiopile

Here's my take on balance controls: a.) I'd much rather do this in the digital domain -despite 98% of my music listening being fed off of a LP (thus my enthusiasm for the ART -amazingly great for the money-preamps). b.) If your system uses a conventional stereo pot for a volume control -it's going to be at best sorta accurate. Really good equipment that uses dual pots for volume control will buy pots that have been specified to be within a certain acceptable variation channel to channel from say 9 o'clock to 1 o'clock in rotation. Broader the rotation-tighter the specified variation -more expensive that one part can get. Then throw in time,oxidation and wear. My decades in the stereo repair biz taught me to have pretty much no trust or respect for pots. So- balance controls that offer a nice fine adjustment over say +/- 4 dB seem ideal. But every pot in my opinion is a service vulnerability -at least in the long term . So -I'd just as soon have none in the signal path (my current situation thanks to DSP speakers) or no more than two (preamp volume and balance). If I'm counting right? I currently own eleven phono preamps -none have balance controls and that feature would be a negative for a phono preamp IMO. BTW- along with a small herd of phono preamps -I own a buffalo herd of MM/IM phono cartridges. SOP when adding to my phono cartridge herd is to measure inductance and coil resistance - the pattern I have noticed over the years is decades old cartridges pretty consistently have much tighter coil measurments than the same companies newer offerings (produced in say the last 20 years). Argument for balance control ?

sofrep811

Hundreds, really?
All in search of the quality Hi Fi you can get from digital for $100 :facepalm:
Have fun I guess.
I don't understand what you're implying? More like around 100, not "hundreds"-- including within integrated, pre-amps, and separates. Expensive and not so expensive. It has nothing to do with "in search". It has to do with trying various models and brands just for the fun of it. Not sure why that would bother you?

I have owned at least ten different SACD/CD players and love digital. My SACD/CD collection makes my vinyl look small.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Not sure why that would bother you?
"Hundreds" was your word, not mine.
I just find it a bit of compulsive behavior.
What's referred to a audiophilia.
Sorry I just find the whole vinyl thing as Hi Fi in 2022 irrational.
Live Long And Prosper ;)

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Live Long And Prosper ;)
Hi Fi is irrational. I embrace the irrational me every time I play a CD, LP or a digital music file.

sofrep811

Live Long And Prosper ;)
Agreed. I collect well mastered and manufactured jazz vinyl and CD's these days and I enjoy hitting the record store still. My Rega P1 is just more for me to hear the records I collect these days. :) PLEASE dont lop me in with any Hoffites or Golden Eared Angels.

sofrep811

Hi Fi is irrational. I embrace the irrational me every time I play a CD, LP or a digital music file.
Which is exactly what is under your username. :)

One thing I do not do--Is take much serious in HiFi. Hence, when Amir started this site it was like golden nectar and so needed.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Channel mismatch and drop in response are okay considering we’re talking about 0.5 dB values. But personally I wouldn’t buy a phono pre-amp without a channel balance knob. The stylus introduces huge mismatch in comparison and this is the point where i would like this dealt with.
There are very few full-featured analog-centric preamps available, it seems. Occasionally one finds some desired features at the add-on phono stage level, but it's usually hit and miss. Mostly miss. For playing records we'd like the ability to both isolate and combine channels (L, R, L+R). Balance control is necessary to match channel levels, and maintain a center image on both stereo and mono (although the best way to listen to mono is through one loudspeaker, as it was intended, IMO). Subsonic filter is often needed. For some records a high 'scratch' filter might be useful. Cartridge loading should be adjustable.

These features were pretty much standard with most top of the line mid-fi units in the '60s through '70s. Below are typical of what you'd expect to see. By the late '70s, many 'high-end' boutique units moved toward functional minimalism, which was a wrongheaded approach for playing records.

9500.jpg

9501.jpg

If I was looking for a phono amp today I think I'd prefer one that offers a few choices of capacitance for the MM input. My last PS Audio PS III offered 50, 150, and 300 pf.
Surprised we see so little of that today, they also should be loaded a 47k ohms. I guess if you don't run the audiophile baby MC your needs don't count today?

Back then, Paul (and Stan) were on the right track. Their little phono module (first sold direct to consumers via the back pages of Audio magazine) was one of the first 'stand alone' phono stages I remember. There was nothing against it, at its price point. I owned one--build quality was what you'd expect from something like Dynaco, but no one expected it to be the last word in phono reproduction, or last a lifetime. For the tube fan, and also for a smaller price, Harvey Rosenberg sold a phono stage (with, I think secondary MOSFET amplification)... the NYAL MOSCODE It.

By the late '80s and in to the '90s, it was getting hard to find a 'mainstream' product with even basic phono capability. Integrated amps from Japan sported DACs, instead. I think it was a push for DAT, that created this feature. My dealer sold the Luxman product, which had basic sampling conversion (32, 44, 48), but no phono. Instead, Lux offered an add-on module, hearkening back to the days of the PS product!

lux.jpg

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As with most things, you can pay more to get more. The ART has basic functionalities at its price, perhaps more than many similarly priced competitors.

If you want more variation in gain, capacitance and loading, Manley will happily sell you a Chinook for three grand or a Steelhead for quite a bit more.

Personally, I'm happy that the vinyl revival is leading to more options to choose from. For many with their first turntable, the ART Precision will suffice for quite a while. If you are willing to pay over $400 for a MC cartridge, you should expect to pay more than $81 for a phono. If you want to vary MM capacitance, you can also change your phono cables as another option, although I can almost smell the disdain for that measure.

sofrep811

Just go for it, someone. Let me know how great it is.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION​

ELECTRONICS

Transformer ratio:16 dB
Tube stage gain:

@ 1 kHz, no load
MM
Gain switch LOW 37.7 dB
Gain switch HIGH 47.7 dB
MC
Gain switch LOW 53.9 dB
Gain switch HIGH 63.9 dB
Frequency response:20 Hz – 50 kHz +0.6 dB RIAA, TELDEC,
-0.2 dB COLUMBIA LP
100 Hz – 50 kHz +/- 0.2 dB
Signal to noise ratio:> -82 dB (ASA A)
With dummy loads connected to the inputs
Total harmonic distortion (THD + N):Please refer to the below graph
Crosstalk:> -75 dB (typically > -82 dB)
Interchannel phase:< 4° (typically 0.35°) @ 20 kHz
Output level:1 V RMS for 0 dB
Large tolerance to smoothly provide 2 V RMS
Output impedance:< 500 Ω (typically 470 Ω)
Vacuum tubes:

Selected by Nagra Laboratory
2x E88CC/ 6922
1x ECC81/B739
1x ECC83/B759
Power supply:Internal
100 – 240 V~ ±10% / 50-60 Hz With Mains or
1rwith optional CLASSIC PSU 1x 12.6 V / 1.5 A w (Standby <1 W)
Power consumption:PMAX 35 W
Mains fuse:T 500 mA
FST 5 x 20 mm 250 V

GENERAL

Operating temperature:+15 °C to +35 °C Moderate climate
+59 °F to +95 °F
Operating environment:Indoor only IP30
Weight:5.4 kg – 11.9 lbs
CLASSIC PHONO unit alone with 1x MC / MM input and 1x MC input
Dimension:350 (390 from nose of the modulometer to back of the connectors) x 277 x 80mm (15.4 x 10.9 x 3.2 inches) – Add 3cm or 1.2 inches with a VFS plate placed under

Attachments

• 10082-752x551.jpg
    10082-752x551.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 92

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just go for it, someone. Let me know how great it is.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION​

ELECTRONICS

Transformer ratio:16 dB
Tube stage gain:

@ 1 kHz, no load
MM
Gain switch LOW 37.7 dB
Gain switch HIGH 47.7 dB
MC
Gain switch LOW 53.9 dB
Gain switch HIGH 63.9 dB
Frequency response:20 Hz – 50 kHz +0.6 dB RIAA, TELDEC,
-0.2 dB COLUMBIA LP
100 Hz – 50 kHz +/- 0.2 dB
Signal to noise ratio:> -82 dB (ASA A)
With dummy loads connected to the inputs
Total harmonic distortion (THD + N):Please refer to the below graph
Crosstalk:> -75 dB (typically > -82 dB)
Interchannel phase:< 4° (typically 0.35°) @ 20 kHz
Output level:1 V RMS for 0 dB
Large tolerance to smoothly provide 2 V RMS
Output impedance:< 500 Ω (typically 470 Ω)
Vacuum tubes:

Selected by Nagra Laboratory
2x E88CC/ 6922
1x ECC81/B739
1x ECC83/B759
Power supply:Internal
100 – 240 V~ ±10% / 50-60 Hz With Mains or
1rwith optional CLASSIC PSU 1x 12.6 V / 1.5 A w (Standby <1 W)
Power consumption:PMAX 35 W
Mains fuse:T 500 mA
FST 5 x 20 mm 250 V

GENERAL

Operating temperature:+15 °C to +35 °C Moderate climate
+59 °F to +95 °F
Operating environment:Indoor only IP30
Weight:5.4 kg – 11.9 lbs
CLASSIC PHONO unit alone with 1x MC / MM input and 1x MC input
Dimension:350 (390 from nose of the modulometer to back of the connectors) x 277 x 80mm (15.4 x 10.9 x 3.2 inches) – Add 3cm or 1.2 inches with a VFS plate placed under
No balance control :)

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No balance control :)
Balance control for $180 US.

sofrep811

The Emotiva XPS-1 seems like a steal at $120 now.
I use that right now and was going to sell it but not worth it to sell now. I’m on the hunt to replace components in my modest system.

RigorDude

Very biased and trenchant discussion, though. Beware the self-appointed expert! I find that the high-end TT world is full of boutique 'designers' who spread myth and misinformation with endless enthusiasm and over-confidence. On practically every single aspect of TT design. It's tragic.
Care to consider the substance? I agree there is quite a bit of b.s. around turntable design (metal platters impart a more “solid” sound and such). But it’s not all b.s. The point that there are very different effective masses in the horizontal and vertical planes is not myth or misinformation; it’s a basic mechanical fact of how the linear arm/cartridge system works. Nor is it myth that the horizontal effective mass will inevitably be a lot higher than that of virtually any pivoting arm.

These mechanical facts are going to cause big problems in cartridge matching. For any arm, you’ve got to find a cartridge that is within its correct operating range on it. High mass arms work best with low compliance cartridges. Low mass arms work best with high compliance carts. So then, what sort of cartridge is going to be optimal for an arm that has both high and low effective mass at the same time?

As for Lurne’s supposed bias, he has designed both pivoting and linear tracking arms, so I don’t exactly see how bias factors into his views on their strengths (which he also acknowledges) and drawbacks. And if John Atkinson thinks the guy warrants a three page interview about TT engineering, I’m inclined to think he might in fact have some expertise.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pro-ject makes phono preamps with a myriad of loading, capacitance, balance, gain and eq options. If I wanted a fully featured phono I'd be looking at them.

Seems we need a test of that box then....

Top Bottom