• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-6 Review (Desktop DAC)

Veri

Master Contributor
New SMSL D-6 using AK4493S chips from AKM :

QgcC3aC.png

Zek

Major Contributor
It is interesting that the D-6 is not on the official SMSL site. :oops:

Holy smokes. The D6 is what I've been waiting for. Volume knob, TRS output, remote for under $200. Nice match for a Topping PA3S.

My only nitpick with all these choices is the lack of separate input and power buttons (I live with people who don't take kindly to multi-function knobs).

Last edited:

ceausuc

It is interesting that the D-6 is not on the official SMSL site. :oops:

The official SMSL site is shenzenaudio :) or hifigo :)
Now that AKM is back I wonder how many new dacs we will see from Topping and SMSL.

Wendigo79

Does this support aptx LL? It supports aptx-hd but does that include automatically aptx-ll... I'm contemplating to buy this for my bedroom system. To connect with tv.

dtomsen

SU-6 and DA-6:

Initial impression of the amplifier alone is rather good. Sounds pretty much like my kitchen Sabaj A10a. Uncolored and more dynamic than expected with my KEF Coda 70. Very different than the smooth operator in the background which I also like very much for completely different reasons. I'm no golden ear despite having hifi for a hobby for slightly more than two decades though :eek:
I have had the dac for some time now and can best describe it as neutral and slightly boring but that's what presets, filters and tone controls are there for :)

Only con so far is the different display white. Bluish white for the amp and yellowish white for the dac.
Much worse than shown in the photo.

Oh, first post.

Attachments

• 20220705_212509.jpg
    20220705_212509.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:

RandomEar

SU-6 and DA-6:

Initial impression of the amplifier alone is rather good. Sounds pretty much like my kitchen Sabaj A10a. Uncolored and more dynamic than expected with my KEF Coda 70. Very different than the smooth operator in the background which I also like very much for completely different reasons. I'm no golden ear despite having hifi for a hobby for slightly more than two decades though :eek:
I have had the dac for some time now and can best describe it as neutral and slightly boring but that's what presets, filters and tone controls are there for :)

Only con so far is the different display white. Bluish white for the amp and yellowish white for the dac.

Oh, first post.
They don't have the same display? That's surprising. Too bad, the colors don't match on your devices :confused:

Bel Canto

SU-6 and DA-6:

Oh, first post.
Very interested in how big the external power supply is for DA6, in some pictures it looked massive.

Also interested in how it compares to to DA9.

Top Bottom