• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A10d 2022 Version Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 189 85.1%

• Total voters

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I see a pattern here. A few months ago the Topping DS90 and Okto Pro were the top tier DAC but for a premium price. Now their performance is achieved and even surpassed by DACs for 1/3rd of the the costs. I am excited to see where this is going in the next few years.
I think it is neither right nor fair to say the Topping D90se and the Okto Dac8 sell at a premium price. Both made a big breakthrough in specs and have a lot of features. 'Premium price', even only a few years ago and still now, for a DAC is something like a few thousand dollars and beyond. The fact that there are SOTA devices available for a hundred dollars is amazing and should not be taken for granted. If only the best measuring speakers and headphones were that cheap!

Last edited:

nyxnyxnyx

I think we are reaching near the climax of hyper-competitive desktop dac/amps. I used to like and recommend the jds lab combo but now there are just so many great products to go for when all one wants is superb objective performance and budget-friendliness.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
What is missing, is the bass a bit muddy, the midrange not lush and not enough air in the treble?
Don't you think it's ok with that? Nobody will change his mind and the guy does not deserve the electric chair. He has his point of view and it's not too much compatible with ASR, that's all.

cestmoi

Don't you think it's ok with that? Nobody will change his mind and the guy does not deserve the electric chair. He has his point of view and it's not too much compatible with ASR, that's all.
Agree.

Some here are sick regarding measurements (some pointless).

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Yes, but there is this, to put it mildly, controversal guy, who did some (although apparently a bit flawed) measurements of both:

https://goldensound.audio/2022/03/14/chord-dave-measurements-with-mscaler/

And, surprise surprise, although not terrible, theses dacs are nothing special and for sure do not justify their ridiculously exaggerated prices.
I find it inexplicable that Chord would put so much store in mega-tap filters to achieve such a steep cut-off and *still* fail to reach full suppression by 22.05 kHz.

Ra1zel

And, surprise surprise, although not terrible, theses dacs are nothing special and for sure do not justify their ridiculously exaggerated prices.
They don't have 30% failure rate, have continous high quality support, impeccable build and finish quality... many other things you won't find in budget products.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder who those three members who voted as Poor?

Slayer

The performance at the phone out of EX5 and DX5 is much better tho. About 5-6dB better. It's shown in both 300ohm power graph and 50mV SNR.
With all due respect John, it's nice for you to show up and post when you want to brag on a product or get a good test review from Amir.
However, you seem to be absent when members are having product issues.
Specifically, the PA5, which as you said was Your Baby.
Yet, you have been conveniently absent from the Poll for the Topping PA5 owner's thread. Those members are having serious problems and the number continues to grow.
Don't you think it would be appropriate to get involved with that thread, I'm sure the owners would appreciate it. It's just not a good look for you or Topping in my opinion.

Didn't mean to highjack this thread, but we haven't seen John for a while and since he responded on this thread with one of his products, I felt this was the one way to get his attention.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
They don't have 30% failure rate, have continous high quality support, impeccable build and finish quality... many other things you won't find in budget products.
I think all those things are worth paying a bit more for, but these are insane prices.

Garrincha

I think all those things are worth paying a bit more for, but these are insane prices.
Exactly, if we agree that there is no (audible) difference, one can choose between design, features and built quality options and one may be willing to pay maybe even two times the price. But 10, 20 or even 50 times? That´s ludicrous.

Last edited:

Garrincha

Do they really? Have you ever owned a Chord or dCS product or are you just assuming this? The Chord build quality looks nothing special to me and the design is just outrageously ugly. I have heard not great things about costumer service as well.

Last edited:

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
Decent engineering. Focus on the product and not on advertisement. It might be interesting to research the origin of the 'made in Germany' phrase, similar story.
Made in Germany has changed its meaning from bad to good over the last hundred years. Maybe one day the same will happen to Made in China. Made in Germany does not mean that every chip or every transistor was made in Germany, so it's all relative. I wouldn't put much stock in it. The fact is that quality problems are reported from time to time with e.g. Topping devices (this is also my experience). But I have also read that for devices from Schiit (Made in USA).

As long as you don't have any statistics, you can't say much about it. The best devices in terms of measurement are certainly not the best devices at all. Everyone should apply their own criteria:
  • measurements
  • price
  • design
  • functions
  • (assumed or proven) longevity
  • environmentally friendly production
  • support
  • working conditions of the workers
  • and so on
I personally can get an impression or information about most of these points via the discussions in this forum here. This is worth a lot to me.

Wardy

Finally an attractive DAC/headphone amp.

any one brought stuff from https://hifi-express.com

seems to be the best bet for me in New Zealand

Thanks,

Peter
Yes, though after emails they set me up a an offer page on thehificat. Shipped straight from China to me, took about 10 days to get to the UK which was good as it included a four day weekend. That order was for the Sabaj A20d 2022, so pretty close to what you're looking at.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Kudos to Sabaj for the complete package here.
It's handsome, measures excellent, and is priced perfectly.
You can't ask for more.
Well maybe, how about a special edition in black with silver hands and volume knob. :p

Top Bottom