• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, here is the old (blue) versus new (red):

View attachment 16807

The main difference is that the embedded 250 Hz was dithered before (blue). As such, it did not excite the digital circuits as much.

In Stereophile’s measurements, they show that the LSB-level square wave (250Hz in your case and 229Hz in their case as they use 44.1kHz) has a correct level (slopping down from ~ -124dB to -129dB from 7kHz to 15kHz for 44.1kHz), and some DACs have them above or below this correct level . Can you explain what happens when higher/lower than these correct levels?

Bigsy

Well, that's something. I wonder what impact does it have on audio quality and what is responsible for downsampling. I guess it's just handled by CPU instead of DAC?
I guess, tbh I don't think I'm going to keep it anyway. I think I got caught up in a numbers game from this review, numbers that I'm not actually going to be able to hear in real life... at the end of the day the usability of this dac is quite poor and I can't tell any discernable difference to my old setup in fact a lack of punch is noticeable on my hungry planars vs my old setup. Oh well, lesson learned, I personally would not recommend this unit.

Last edited:

Yuno

I guess, tbh I don't think I'm going to keep it anyway. I think I got caught up in a numbers game from this review, numbers that I'm not actually going to be able to hear in real life... at the end of the day the usability of this dac is quite poor. At the end of the day I can't tell any discernable difference to my old setup in fact a lack of punch is noticeable on my hungry planars vs my old setup. Oh well, I personally would not recommend this unit.

I never cared all that much about numbers, remote control and digital volume is what made me buy this thing. And it's working great for what I intended to use it for. If resampling mess can be patched this unit will be great, if not it's garbage.
So far I'm happy using your solution but this is not something third party software should be required for. Any dac I ever owned including cheap soundcards was capable of running fixed sampling rate.

I don't really want to consider returns with shipping to china. The lesson here is it's never good idea to be in first batch of owners when it comes to products from china.

Veri

Master Contributor
Easy fix for usb clicking is using s/pdif input instead.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My AliExpress order from a week ago was still "processing" so seemed prudent to cancel at this juncture. Will see how this all shakes out.

By extension, an even easier fix is not to use the unit at all.
Problem is, you two don't search for solution, you could for example ask Topping support, ask Thesycon, ask seller, just return the unit (deffective units is not something rare across the electronics) wait for an update, stop complain, wait for more reviews.

Bigsy

Problem is, you two don't search for solution, you could for example ask Topping support, ask Thesycon, ask seller, just return the unit (deffective units is not something rare across the electronics) wait for an update, stop complain, wait for more reviews.
If you think a review thread is not the correct place to warn potential buyers of issues on new products then you have lost a grip on reality my friend.

I even posted a workaround for it that I'll use until I arrange for it to be returned.

Last edited:

Yuno

I am actually quite actively looking for solution. Returning the unit is not really that easy when I need to ship it from EU to China. Main reason why I'm even in this thread is to find out if there are more people with this issue, because I want to know if it's defect of my unit or poor design on Topping side. So far I suspect later.

Veri

Master Contributor
I was going to buy the Monolith THX 788 but since that one crapped itself before Amir could even properly test it,

I'm going Topping DX3 + Massdrop's THX AAA :) wish I knew I was to go this route earlier, they are sold out everywhere it seems damn it.

bona998

@amirm - Is it possible to measure production unit from some user ? You got engineering sample if I recall, so I wonder if production units still have the same or maybe even better performance.

bona998

If you think a review thread is not the correct place to warn potential buyers of issues on new products then you have lost a grip on reality my friend.

I even posted a workaround for it that I'll use until I arrange for it to be returned.

That's why it is better to pay a bit more and have it locally instead of importing from China. If anything is wrong or you don't like it at all - you can just use 14 days return policy. Shipping will be cheap locally and you don't have to mess with all kind of extra fees like VAT, customs etc (in both directions! yep there can be crazy issues like when sending unit back to China it will be held for customs again, I faced that once and there was a total mess).

Bigsy

That's why it is better to pay a bit more and have it locally instead of importing from China. If anything is wrong or you don't like it at all - you can just use 14 days return policy. Shipping will be cheap locally and you don't have to mess with all kind of extra fees like VAT, customs etc (in both directions! yep there can be crazy issues like when sending unit back to China it will be held for customs again, I faced that once and there was a total mess).
Did you mean to reply to Yuno? Its no problem for me to return it, I never paid vat or customs and paypal pay all the returns postage anyway I've done it many times.

bona998

Did you mean to reply to Yuno? Its no problem for me to return it, I never paid vat or customs and paypal pay all the returns postage anyway I've done it many times.

It was a few years ago. I bought something on ebay from China seller. I had to send it back. I took long time for my post office to realize that the package was being held on customs when entered back China (with no info for the seller and for me). They did not want to pass the package to the seller until he pays or shows some documents etc. Maybe now it's changed somehow, no idea, but there was a mess because of that (actually it is normal procedure that every package from outside China goes there first but who and how should provide info that this is returning package and will customs people believe it ? these days if I have possibility to buy something in EU, I am keen to pay a bit more and not bother myself if anything will go wrong like warranty or returning the unit. I don't even mention how fast is it - usually about 2-3 days after buying it is in my house).

But hey, I can understand that someone is a risk taker - it is cheaper + there is a chance that the package won't go to the customs & VAT, so it can be money saving solution.

I should get my unit soon. Will compare it with aune x1s which is a very good combo.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In Stereophile’s measurements, they show that the LSB-level square wave (250Hz in your case and 229Hz in their case as they use 44.1kHz) has a correct level (slopping down from ~ -124dB to -129dB from 7kHz to 15kHz for 44.1kHz), and some DACs have them above or below this correct level . Can you explain what happens when higher/lower than these correct levels?
They use a 16 bit J-test file. There, the harmonics of 250 Hz then becomes visible. What makes them different than the theoretical levels is distortions or spurious tones from the DAC (depending on the phase, some add and some subtract). I am not a fan of this measurement as it is hard to interpret. Best to run it at 24 bits so that anything that is visible, shouldn't be there (other than the main tone).

Here is the theoretical levels from the Wiki for a square wave:

1543684134511.png

Just look at the numbers in front of the sine(...). What is inside the sin() just indicates the harmonic (odd values). Graphically this is what they look like:

Spectrum_square_oscillation.jpg

Is this what you were asking?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm - Is it possible to measure production unit from some user ? You got engineering sample if I recall, so I wonder if production units still have the same or maybe even better performance.
Sure. Ideally we find someone in US that has one with the clicking problem. Do we already?

Yuno

Sure. Ideally we find someone in US that has one with the clicking problem. Do we already?

Did you test your unit without using some form of exclusive mode?
Windows set to 32bit/44.1kHz, all exclusive mode options unticked, sound playing from any browser (youtube for instance). Does it click?

Incidentally I did what someone here suggested and connected via toslink. Now it's working properly. So the issue is specific to USB.

Klenfo

Confirm a lot of clicks w/o topping drivers - play, pause and even seekbar in foobar2000. And after installation of topping drivers the number of clicks has become much less. But anyway in browser and players those clicks present. I think Topping should do something with this. Maybe some fix in next driver. Because a lot purchases have been made and future users will have many questions.

Bigsy

It'll need to be firmware, the problems are present on linux and OSX

Top Bottom