• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 47.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.7%

• Total voters

fquails

Maybe, the way it works right now is pretty useless. For reference, how long after a reboot until it shows up in tidal and as airplay device? It's about 10 minutes for me, but I need 5-10 attempts until tidal is connected, and I can play something.

@Music1969 maybe it's the same problem. Since the latest update, it didn't disconnect while playing, just if you pause it for a few minutes. But restoring the connection takes ages. But it's hard to say whether it's reboots, intermittent disconnects. Router logs say it stays connected while it vanishes from the app and tidal.
Have you tried restoring to factory settings, then, reboot, the. re-update? Many tech gear can be fixed that way.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I just changed my router DNS to 8.8.8.8 since WiiM recommend it.

Will see (hear) if that improves anything

Previously set to Cloudfare

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wiim mini internal dac vs external dac (modi multibit) feeding to Yamaha analog input on pure direct mode with external power amp feeding the speakers. Based on listening, the internal dac produce diffuse sound field but little light on bass whereas multibit produce great bass and mids but lack sparkle on top end.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Wiim mini internal dac vs external dac (modi multibit) feeding to Yamaha analog input on pure direct mode with external power amp feeding the speakers. Based on listening, the internal dac produce diffuse sound field but little light on bass whereas multibit produce great bass and mids but lack sparkle on top end.

For keeping budget down, use optical from WiiM Mini and connect to this:

Spectacular combo.

For those worrying about optical jitter, Amir measured it with optical there and there is none

1655048535545.png

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
Have you tried restoring to factory settings, then, reboot, the. re-update? Many tech gear can be fixed that way.
Yep multiple times. All but re-update. So I don't really know what to test further. Thought I had it with dnssec settings, but it was pure coincidence. mb it doesn't work with RT-AC86U. I don't think I'm going to investigate further.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For keeping budget down, use optical from WiiM Mini and connect to this:

Spectacular combo.

For those worrying about optical jitter, Amir measured it with optical there and there is none

View attachment 212361
I have similar to that dac using 2 9038 made by lavaudio. On YouTube, there several reviewers such as cheapadioman, Andrew Robinson where they review audio gear based on listening and not measurements. They often say you don’t listen to measurements you listen to music that pleased your personal taste.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yep multiple times. All but re-update. So I don't really know what to test further. Thought I had it with dnssec settings, but it was pure coincidence. mb it doesn't work with RT-AC86U. I don't think I'm going to investigate further.
How far is your WiiM Mini from your router?

And what does RSSI strength in WiiM Home app show for you?

Believe it or but too close to a router at full power can be a problem - amplifiers get 'saturated'.

It only just occurred to me that this could be an issue for me so I'm actually testing this myself now. My WiiM Mini is currently in my office directly next to my router.

If Wiim Mini gets stable in performance I'll get more for around the house to replace Bluesound Nodes but for now, testing is in home office.

So I'm moving it 3m away from 5GHz router.

I've dropped from RSSI -34 to -50

1655087202280.png

But aside from that, you should send WiiM logs like I mentioned, with timestamps of drop-outs / reconnects. Just a couple instances might be enough for them to spot an issue in your logs.

If you don't report it and send logs, there is no chance for them to know and fix.

Music1969

Major Contributor

I just noticed you have same router as me.

WiiM advised me to disable "Airtime fairness" in router settiings and it has improved things for me. I haven't had an issue since yesterday.

Disable for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Go to router > wireless > professional and it should be visible there.

Disable it.

Good idea to reboot both router and all your wireless devices after this.

I noticed on forums that disabling this is also recommended with Sonos and Amazon Echo products.

Witterings

I just noticed you have same router as me.

WiiM advised me to disable "Airtime fairness" in router settiings and it has improved things for me. I haven't had an issue since yesterday.

Disable for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Go to router > wireless > professional and it should be visible there.

Disable it.

Good idea to reboot both router and all your wireless devices after this.

I noticed on forums that disabling this is also recommended with Sonos and Amazon Echo products.

What issues were you having ... I was just reading the thread and realised I've the same router.

Also has anyone else noticed if you're streaming from the Amazon App to multiroom from say a tablet if you want to use the time slider in the app / media player to go back forward in the song it won't let you.
It works fine when just connected to one device though.

Music1969

Major Contributor
What issues were you having ... I was just reading the thread and realised I've the same router.
WiiM Mini going "offline" in the Alexa app.

I'm casting from Amazon Music HD straight to WiiM Mini

See here for what appears to be the fix and maybe you could test out what I'm asking (just trying these CloudFlare DNS settings):

Witterings

WiiM Mini going "offline" in the Alexa app.

I'm casting from Amazon Music HD straight to WiiM Mini

See here for what appears to be the fix and maybe you could test out what I'm asking (just trying these CloudFlare DNS settings):

Cheers I'll take a look at that although I'm not really getting any dropouts at the moment ... only thing I was fairly recently was if I paused a track and then re-started, it might play the track for a few seconds and then jump to the end of the track and play the next one OR go back and play the same track from the start.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Cheers I'll take a look at that although I'm not really getting any dropouts at the moment ... only thing I was fairly recently was if I paused a track and then re-started, it might play the track for a few seconds and then jump to the end of the track and play the next one OR go back and play the same track from the start.
No worries, but as per my linked post, if someone could reproduce my issue it would help me to be confident that is the problem

And I can report it to WiiM and they can look at it

Seems pretty reproducible at my end though. Turn on DoT and I have Alex connection issues.

Turn DoT off and its perfectly fine.

But would be nice for someone to confirm (even if they don't have issues right now)

Brantome

Major Contributor
Is that using the beta firmware with lossless AMHD casting to the WiiM Mini? It must be said that the Amazon Music app can be a bit temperamental so bug fixing by WiiM could be frustrating as the issue maybe doesn’t lie within their purview…

Witterings

No worries, but as per my linked post, if someone could reproduce my issue it would help me to be confident that is the problem

And I can report it to WiiM and they can look at it

Seems pretty reproducible at my end though. Turn on DoT and I have Alex connection issues.

Turn DoT off and its perfectly fine.

But would be nice for someone to confirm (even if they don't have issues right now)

I can't during the day as my work VoIP goes through the same router and can't take out the phone line on a whim by rebooting the router.

If I#m not having an issue though it's not going to create it anyway?

Is that using the beta firmware with lossless AMHD casting to the WiiM Mini? It must be said that the Amazon Music app can be a bit temperamental so bug fixing by WiiM could be frustrating as the issue maybe doesn’t lie within their purview…

No I haven't asked for the Beta it was just the normal.

Music1969

Major Contributor
If I#m not having an issue though it's not going to create it anyway?
How would you know you don't have an issue, if you currently don't have DoT enabled and try it?

Anyway I'm not demanding , just asking anyone to try it and report back.

For the sake of helping WiiM fix it and helping others down the line.

No big deal obviously

Wouldn't want it to interfere with anyone's work.

More like a quiet weekend job (if possible)

absolutezero

How would you know you don't have an issue, if you currently don't have DoT enabled and try it?

Anyway I'm not demanding , just asking anyone to try it and report back.

For the sake of helping WiiM fix it and helping others down the line.

No big deal obviously

Wouldn't want it to interfere with anyone's work.

More like a quiet weekend job (if possible)
Hi Music1969 - DoT works for me on the same router, responded in another thread here

Top Bottom