• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help: choosing components for upcoming stereo upgrade

yllanos

Hi.

I've been doing my own research on my next system upgrade and I want to get it right.

Right now I own:
  • Subwoofer: Rythmik F12
  • Speakers: Magnepan MMG
  • Roon Suscription (with Tidal and Qobuz + local library)

I am also an Apple Music subscriber and I hope to control my setup from an app on my iPhone

What I still missing:
  1. A streamer (Bluesound Node 2021)
  2. A DAC (see options below)
  3. An AMP (Buckeye Hypex NC502MP)

I have narrowed down my options to basically two possibilities:

Option 1:
1654981460457.png

Option 2:
1654981504170.png

With option #2, there is the possibility of adding a MiniDSP Flex instead of a SMSL SU-9N.

Option #1 will force me to use the sub's built-in crossover and that's OK, but I'm not sure how the speakers will perform.

My budget limit is fixed around $1800 USD (I have to go through the import process as I don't live in North America or Europe, so that would be an additional $200-$250 USD)

Which option would you choose and why? I have to confess that I see bass management/REW/Dirac as a nice plus.

Thanks on advance for any suggestions.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you looked at reviews on this stuff? Roon is great though.

igfarm

If you don't mind a little software tinkering and don't need Dirac, you could use a Raspberry Pi and a Motu M4 and save a few hundred $.

Below is my setup for reference. Pretty happy with it, and easy to forget after it was all set up. I do have room correction of the sub using REW and CamillaDSP.

Screen Shot 2022-06-11 at 7.22.39 PM.png

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
yllanos

yllanos

It looks like most of your choices come from subjective reviews. Have a look at the objective reviews here https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/Reviews

I'd be wary of the Bluesound, Magnepan's and Rythmik. Another poster supplied some great choices.

As I mentioned on first post, I already own speakers and subwoofer. In fact, I've owned them by a couple years now. They do the job and they are staying with me. I'm not looking to upgrade my whole system, just a few components. Perhaps I should have worded it differently but English is not my native language.

I am aware of measurements, but to me that is only a part of the decision. I'm choosing Bluesound to be used as a streamer only (because BluOS app), that is why I am choosing an external DAC, which measures better.

If you don't mind a little software tinkering and don't need Dirac, you could use a Raspberry Pi and a Motu M4 and save a few hundred $.

Below is my setup for reference. Pretty happy with it, and easy to forget after it was all set up. I do have room correction of the sub using REW and CamillaDSP.

View attachment 212279

I have considered CamillaDSP, and in fact I work on IT so getting myself around installing and configuring Linux shouldn't be an issue. It's also cheap so that's nice. But usability is a big plus for me, specially when it comes to audio. Because of that, I'm not a huge fan of tinkering with all this for a stereo system. And there is also the sense of unbaked products given it's DIY attitude (specially on open source software). But yes, you are correct, it is indeed an option. Motu isn't usually on my radar, but M2 (instead of M4) fits the bill and it's a great suggestion, thanks. I don't like Volumio app nor do I use Spotify. Finally, what I'm looking for is a user experience from the likes of Sonos/Bluesound (or similar) to not be dependent on Roon. I guess this doesn't rule out the Rpi4/CamillaDSP approach but it certainly isn't my first choice.

MCH

Major Contributor
. Motu isn't usually on my radar, but M2 (instead of M4) fits the bill and it's a great suggestion, thanks. I don't like Volumio app nor do I use Spotify. Finally, what I'm looking for is a user experience from the likes of Sonos/Bluesound (or similar) to not be dependent on Roon. I guess this doesn't rule out the Rpi4/CamillaDSP approach but it certainly isn't my first choice.
I think @igfarm sugested the M4 because it has 4 balanced channels out and together with camilladsp you can do the crossovers to mains/sub as you wish, exactly like with the minidsp flex but much cheaper. You cannot do that with the motu m2 or with your option 1. and that could be a relevant difference. I recommend you to gather more information on this before deciding between 2 vs 4 channels

OP
yllanos

yllanos

I think @igfarm sugested the M4 because it has 4 balanced channels out and together with camilladsp you can do the crossovers to mains/sub as you wish, exactly like with the minidsp flex but much cheaper. You cannot do that with the motu m2 or with your option 1. and that could be a relevant difference. I recommend you to gather more information on this before deciding between 2 vs 4 channels
Ohhh you are correct, thanks.

Reactions: MCH

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bluesound to be used as a streamer only
You can do a lot better for a lot less money, But if you like the app well I guess that's it.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom