• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How does the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE amp compare to an A90?

Kaeroe

So i had been planning to buy a D90le and an A90 in the coming weeks, but they are kinda out of stock everywhere in the uk. I have now noticed the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (pretty much the same price as the topping combo).
My use for this would be a DCA aeon noire, using balanced 2x trs OIDIO cables, and from the back i want to connect my bass shaker to the XLR mains (going to its own amp, then to the shaker).
Would i be losing out on anything by using the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE over the d90le/a90 combo? I dont mind waiting a bit for the others to come back in stock, but i have also seen some iffy quality issues with the toppings, and seeing as i would like this to last forever and be my final dac/amp purchase, quality is key.

I think i require the xlr on the back to be unpowered for the shaker? so can i turn all "preamp" off for the xlr while keeping the front phones like normal?
Thanks in advance!

3125b

Major Contributor
In balanced mode the RME can deliver 2.9W per channel (with this low impedance headphone the amp will be current rather than voltage limited). That would equal 126dBSPL, it might however exceed the power handling capability of the drivers, the manufacturer doesn't spec that anywhere I could see (solderdude suggests max. 1W in his headphone power chart). In unbalanced mode the maximum power per channel is 1.5W wich is plenty for those headphones.
Signal quality will be better than threshold of hearing with either the Topping stack or the RME.

I think i require the xlr on the back to be unpowered for the shaker? so can i turn all "preamp" off for the xlr while keeping the front phones like normal?
What do you mean by unpowered?
The balanced phones mode mutes the preamp outputs in the back, you can't use those two simultaneously.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So i had been planning to buy a D90le and an A90 in the coming weeks, but they are kinda out of stock everywhere in the uk. I have now noticed the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE (pretty much the same price as the topping combo).
My use for this would be a DCA aeon noire, using balanced 2x trs OIDIO cables, and from the back i want to connect my bass shaker to the XLR mains (going to its own amp, then to the shaker).
Would i be losing out on anything by using the ADI-2 Pro FS R BE over the d90le/a90 combo? I dont mind waiting a bit for the others to come back in stock, but i have also seen some iffy quality issues with the toppings, and seeing as i would like this to last forever and be my final dac/amp purchase, quality is key.

Thanks in advance!
You would do better getting the ADI 2 DAC (not the pro) and enabling both the 6.3mm front headphone out for the Aeon and the rear XLR to the shaker amp.

As 3125b notes above, on the pro you cant use balanced phones plus rear xlr anyway.

The downside is that the volume control on the ADI 2 controls both front and rear outputs simultaneously whereas I think what you mean is having a fixed volume line out from the XLRs (by definition any output is "powered" - I think you mean fixed vs variable)

OP
K

Kaeroe

In balanced mode the RME can deliver 2.9W per channel (with this low impedance headphone the amp will be current rather than voltage limited). That would equal 126dBSPL, it might however exceed the power handling capability of the drivers, the manufacturer doesn't spec that anywhere I could see (solderdude suggests max. 1W in his headphone power chart). In unbalanced mode the maximum power per channel is 1.5W wich is plenty for those headphones.
Signal quality will be better than threshold of hearing with either the Topping stack or the RME.

What do you mean by unpowered?
The balanced phones mode mutes the preamp outputs in the back, you can't use those two simultaneously.
I am glad to hear it would power it but devastated about the rear outs :(
Given that I am using optical out from the TV, would I be able to use an optical splitter to go to a second DAC for the shaker? Or is this essentially leaving me with either unbalanced in the rme or the topping combo?

OP
K

Kaeroe

You would do better getting the ADI 2 DAC (not the pro) and enabling both the 6.3mm front headphone out for the Aeon and the rear XLR to the shaker amp.

As 3125b notes above, on the pro you cant use balanced phones plus rear xlr anyway.

The downside is that the volume control on the ADI 2 controls both front and rear outputs simultaneously whereas I think what you mean is having a fixed volume line out from the XLRs (by definition any output is "powered" - I think you mean fixed vs variable)
Seems like perhaps I could use a "CYP AU-D12" digital splitter, and use an old audioengine D1 before the shaker amp? Would only add £65 to the cost and enable me to still use balanced on the front? However I have no idea about this but would the splitter degrade the audio quality going into the rme? I was hoping to stick to the "best" I can buy so that I don't ever have to upgrade the DAC again (obviously within a budget). It costs a lot less to buy the best now, than to have to completely repurchase an incremental improvement down the line. So I would rather buy the pro where possible

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The downside is that the volume control on the ADI 2 controls both front and rear outputs simultaneously
Which is one of the benefits of the ADI-2 Pro fs R vs the DAC.
The Pro has 2 separate stereo DACs, allowing 2 completely different settings:
Separate EQ, volume, and output.

OP
K

Kaeroe

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
K

Kaeroe

If you go for the RME ADI-2 Pro, you'll also have digital outputs.
So you won't need that, I guess.
Oh is that a passthrough that would work with the front outs in balanced mode? And would it work as a "fixed volume line out" so that I don't boost the shakers volume before it gets to the sub amp? Or would that be controllable, as I think I saw something about locking volume control through the rme for specific outputs

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
is that a passthrough that would work with the front outs in balanced mode? And would it work as a "fixed volume line out"
Yes
And you can choose if that will work at a fixed level or following volume and EQ of Main 1+2

Top Bottom