• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BEST 10inch subwoofer for sealed enclosure?

Tangband

Major Contributor
Exactly what I'm looking for:)
Look at the SB Acoustics shallow subwoofer if you want to rethink dual opposed. It’s a really nice woofer designed for tiny cabinets.

Aurasound NS10-794-4a is probably the “best” 10” subwoofer driver yet made, but they’re long out of production. I’d look at the ScanSpeak Discovery or Tymphany SDF in current drivers. Also CSS’s XBL model.
I havent seen any good review anywhere with good subwoofers from SB acoustics. But I havent looked everywhere. Can you give me a link to a good review ?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
True, but for the price you can buy two for each channel.
Not for the small enclosure he wants.

Look at the SB Acoustics shallow subwoofer if you want to rethink dual opposed. It’s a really nice woofer designed for tiny cabinets.
From what I’ve seen, most of these low profile subs have pretty bad distortion performance. You’d probably be better if PR’ing the Purifi. It’s also much cheaper, and you can do everything with the 3-way Hypex amp.

Also check out the Purifi vs the midrange dome distortion: I’m pretty sure the Purifi bests it until the end of its passband by quite a bit.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Not for the small enclosure he wants.

From what I’ve seen, most of these low profile subs have pretty bad distortion performance. You’d probably be better if PR’ing the Purifi. It’s also much cheaper, and you can do everything with the 3-way Hypex amp.

Also check out the Purifi vs the midrange dome distortion: I’m pretty sure the Purifi bests it until the end of its passband by quite a bit.
A = true.
As it is now, its a compromised design that can be much better if it would be a floorstander with the same footprint.

B = Purifi is good, but its horrible expensive and still just a 8 inch woofer ( with apparently very good bass performance, I must agree.) Maybe there is no need for a 10 inch subwoofer after all ? A dsp can easily get this Purifi driver down to 20 Hz , and making this project only a three way with fully active crossovers will get better sound results overall.

C= yes, I would also avoid the middome because he wants to cross it passive, and that horrible breakup cant be tamed with other than a good dsp.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Don't put the subs in the same cabinet as the speaker, that is a design compromise. The optimal location for room mode management often conflicts with optimal location for stereo imaging. Also, including the subs inside your speakers will require making them much larger than you have planned, undersized enclosure would result in much lower power efficiency.

changster

Some of the best subwoofers in sealed enclosures are "car audio" subwoofers, even though all speakers are for speakers and it doesn't matter where it's placed.

If you are looking for a subwoofer that has high Xmax, plays low, with low distortion, and can work in a very small sealed enclosure I again suggest the Adire Brahma mk2.5. It only need about 0.5-0.75 cuft of space. They do need a bit of power though given the lower sensitivity. They sound SOOO good though. You can request no logo as well for a clean black look.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A = true.
As it is now, its a compromised design that can be much better if it would be a floorstander with the same footprint.
All designs are a compromise. I’d just see it as a challenge. Not everyone would like to have a large tower.
B = Purifi is good, but its horrible expensive and still just a 8 inch woofer ( with apparently very good bass performance, I must agree.) Maybe there is no need for a 10 inch subwoofer after all ? A dsp can easily get this Purifi driver down to 20 Hz , and making this project only a three way with fully active crossovers will get better sound results overall.
Very true. The 8” Purifi does not make sense. If you want the spend the money, ditch the mid dome, take the larger tweeter in a waveguide, use the new PTT6.5M04-NFA-01, and then add one or two 10” woofers. There are plenty of other options for less money though.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm dreaming to build ultimate DIY speaker. Planning in 1-2 years so there would be many options.
For now, I'm just roughly designing the concept (I knew it the "DESIGN" is most hard part..)

As my concept design, bliesma T25b, M74b and purifi ptt8.0 are used and looking for good side subwoofer. (currently seas l26roy)
It will be crossed at aprox. 3khz, 1khz, 80hz which are fully changeable by directivity and other considerations. Hypex fusion 253 or 503 for plate amp. Tweeter and midrange will be grouped because of lack of channels in plate amp and will be crossed by passive crossover. In M74b, of course notch filter will used for treat 15db of brake-up in 15khz. So, hybrid crossover.
Design reference is KH420 but in 8inch woofer version with side sub.
I had considered side DOS but width was not enough for two subs.

Please give me many advices about unit selection and "DESIGN"... I want to make it beautiful...:p

View attachment 212129
I suggest using passive crossover between woofer and subwoofer instead, and double the crossover frequency. This will allow simpler filter design (2nd order) while not stressing the drivers. Whereas you normally need complex filters between the high frequency drivers, which are easier to achieve as active units.

Last edited:

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
peerless XLS 10
It's the same as in Grimm Audio? Heh, these two Peerless don't even cost 500 Euro. Nice price difference...

What compromises can such a construction have?
Ellipticor-A50.

Attachments

• obraz_2022-06-11_145150354.png
    obraz_2022-06-11_145150354.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:

changster

Hey, is Adire back? I still have a 12” Shiva somewhere in my basement. It’s probably from 20 years ago.

Yes they are. I run their new Brahma X 15" in my car. It sounds fantastic, but I know on this forum people don't care much about subjective descriptions. What I can say is at least they are known to have low distortion drivers with high Xmax given the XBL^2 motor structure. I can easily hear the difference vs say the JL Audio W6/W7 which I've had both. They are also one of the very few companies that published their Klippel measurements back in the day, so at least they are confident in their distortion measurements.

Tangband

Major Contributor
It's the same as in Grimm Audio? Heh, these two Peerless don't even cost 500 Euro. Nice price difference...

What compromises can such a construction have?
Ellipticor-A50.
Yes its the same it seems .
Plays very good in 20 liters closed with LT .

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I suggest using passive crossover between woofer and subwoofer instead, and double the crossover frequency.
It will also limit subwoofer selection greatly. You’ll need matching sensitivities (not to mention that the baffle step will eat away at the subs sensitivity). Higher that 80 Hz, yes probably a good idea.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Don't put the subs in the same cabinet as the speaker, that is a design compromise. The optimal location for room mode management often conflicts with optimal location for stereo imaging. Also, including the subs inside your speakers will require making them much larger than you have planned, undersized enclosure would result in much lower power efficiency.
In a small room, it could be smart to have two smaller main loudspeakers and two subwoofers .
If the room is smaller than 15 square meters, two Genelec 8030c and two 7050 subwoofers will probably sound better than most DIY constructions .

scarabe

Hello,
Can you explain why the placement of the subwoofer in the same box as the other speakers is a design compromise?
What would be the ideal design?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Do you have speaker design software? I've used WinISD (free).

Just plug-in cabinet volume and the Theile-Small parameters for each potential driver, The "best" driver depends on cabinet design & size. One driver may be the best in a smaller cabinet and another might be best in a larger cabinet, and another in a ported cabinet, etc. Of course, the woofer & subwoofer should have their own chambers so you can play-around with how the volume is shared. (You'll have to treat the subwoofer and regular woofer as separate designs.)

P.S.
When you play-around with the design software you can also try a ported designs and depending on the driver and cabinet size you may get better results with a port.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From what I’ve seen, most of these low profile subs have pretty bad distortion performance.

These particular SB woofers are good enough to pair with Revel Gem2’s in ~0.25 cu ft (~6L) enclosures. I know because I do it.

You’d probably be better if PR’ing the Purifi. It’s also much cheaper, and you can do everything with the 3-way Hypex amp.

Might be cheaper, but a big piston in a small cabinet with suitable EQ and power will pressurize a room in a way that an 8” with passive radiators will not.

The car audio woofer suggestion above isn’t bad either. I haven’t paid much attention to that scene for a while but back then Alpine had a very nicely designed shallow woofer.

Tangband

Major Contributor
These particular SB woofers are good enough to pair with Revel Gem2’s in ~0.25 cu ft (~6L) enclosures. I know because I do it.

Might be cheaper, but a big piston in a small cabinet with suitable EQ and power will pressurize a room in a way that an 8” with passive radiators will not.

The car audio woofer suggestion above isn’t bad either. I haven’t paid much attention to that scene for a while but back then Alpine had a very nicely designed shallow woofer.
The SB woofers you mention might be good , but we want some evidence that they really are as good as you think .
I haven´t found any reviews that can back up your claims, and I havent seen those subwoofers used by other highly regarded brands that make subwoofers.
Peerless xls 10 and 12 inch woofers can be found in many other subwoofer brands ( Sigberg , Amphion, legend acoustics, GRIMM and many more …)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In a small room, it could be smart to have two smaller main loudspeakers and two subwoofers .
If the room is smaller than 15 square meters, two Genelec 8030c and two 7050 subwoofers will probably sound better than most DIY constructions .
I would say in a small room subwoofer placement does not matter much as standing waves are higher than in large rooms where subwoofer location will effect room modes.

Top Bottom