• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 229 48.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.3%

• Total voters

Music1969

Major Contributor
What did till a week ago? I thought Airplay in general topped out at 24/48, so can’t support apple hires which is their 24/192 offering - it’ll only support their 24/48 lossless tracks.

You said "the release mentioned bit perfect Airplay 2 up to 24/48"

The release mentioned 24/48 until a week ago.

If you look now, there is no mention of 24/48 on WiiM release notes.

I mentioned in the other thread yesterday, WiiM got 16/44.1 approved first. Now they await approval of 24/48k.

Brantome

Major Contributor
I suspected as much. Alexa issue/limitation. Not sure what level of my soundbars DAC decode. It's my Mini->DAC connection I was curious about in this scenario. It's a partytime, multi-speaker time, use case so quality not such an issue anyway.:)
Although it’s maybe something Deezer could address. Up until recently, I thought that only Amazon Music HD played lossless on echos via Alexa, until I was corrected that Alexa supports Tidal at lossless 16/44.1

Music1969

Major Contributor
Ugh the landscape of sample rate support is a mess with everything :facepalm:

(first world problems)

Brantome

Major Contributor
You said "the release mentioned bit perfect Airplay 2 up to 24/48"

The release mentioned 24/48 until a week ago.

If you look now, there is no mention of 24/48 on WiiM release notes.

I mentioned in the other thread yesterday, WiiM got 16/44.1 approved first. Now they await approval of 24/48k.
Ok, cheers, I was perhaps conflating the two versions of their “what’s new “ page. Anyway, it’s Apple, who cares, give me AMHD ;):p:D

Music1969

Major Contributor
Ok, cheers, I was perhaps conflating the two versions of their “what’s new “ page. Anyway, it’s Apple, who cares, give me AMHD ;):p:D
I am THIS close to just going back to Tidal

Even with the MQA sillyness (vomit), the app itself is nice and Tidal Connect is working well on many streamers and is coming to WiiM Mini (MQA Core Decode function).

Brantome

Major Contributor
I am THIS close to just going back to Tidal

Even with the MQA sillyness (vomit), the app itself is nice and Tidal Connect is working well on many streamers and is coming to WiiM Mini (MQA Core Decode function).
My family and I are too tied up with Amazon Music HD (or not) as I have their family plan which is shared amongst my brothers and nephews, working out at around £2.50 per user per month. While my Linn MDSM/4 supports Tidal and Qobuz, neither of those are supported on the echos I and the family use - I like using the echo auto in the car under voice control. I do have a couple of non optimal solutions to play AMHD at the moment (fire tv cube and Heos link HS2), so tnat’s why I’m keen on WiiM eventually supporting lossless AMHD, but as Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part ;)

Last edited:

Jpdelaney.tml

Well, for now, thank you Deezer and Wiim, sounds great to me through my Peavey monitors, Newmark SA3000, RX-V620 (Optical), Suncoz LA-QXD1, mini;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220527-152013.png
    Screenshot_20220527-152013.png
    857 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot_20220527-151935.png
    Screenshot_20220527-151935.png
    471.6 KB · Views: 147

fquails

Well, it appears that after the latest firmware update (249), I can no longer play the same music on more than one Wiim at the same time when streaming from my DLNA server (foobar 2000). I seem to recall being able to do that before. I am still able to successfully “add” mutiple Wiims together, but the additional Wiims do not play music. Or maybe that was never possible before and I am confusing with another setup I had.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Well, it appears that after the latest firmware update (249), I can no longer play the same music on more than one Wiim at the same time when streaming from my DLNA server (foobar 2000). I seem to recall being able to do that before. I am still able to successfully “add” mutiple Wiims together, but the additional Wiims do not play music. Or maybe that was never possible before and I am confusing with another setup I had.
Raise a ticket thru the WiiM app and they’ll be able to confirm whether it is a supported feature and/or a bug :)

Jpdelaney.tml

Check out the company it keeps......

Attachments

• Streamer Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum New_Page_2.jpg
    Streamer Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum New_Page_2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 160
  • Streamer Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum New_Page_1.jpg
    Streamer Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum New_Page_1.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 157
  • Streamer Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum_Page_1_Page_2.jpg
    Streamer Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum_Page_1_Page_2.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Streamer Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum_Page_1_Page_1.jpg
    Streamer Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum_Page_1_Page_1.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 158

Music1969

Major Contributor
Check out the company it keeps......
These screenshots are comparing Apples, Bananas and Oranges.

You've got DACs and amps and streamers and streaming DACs all included.

If someone is just really happy with using Qobuz app on iPad/Android and happy with 24/96 bit perfect to their external DAC, then it's hard to beat the optical output of the old Chromecast Audio, in terms of value and performance...

WiiM Mini doesn't support Chromecast or a way to cast from Qobuz app direct to the uni (without using 3rd part UI).

So for such a person (there are many out there actually) I would say don't buy the WiiM - go on eBay and buy 2 or 3 used Chromecast Audio devices.

So it all comes down to what features do you need. We all have different needs.

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
Any hints on how to update the firmware on ios devices? Did multiple factory resets, let it sit for 2 days hoping for the auto update, but it stays on 4.6.332855

nothingman

Go to the main settings page (as opposed to device settings) select “feedback” and send them a message asking for the update to be pushed to your device. I’d probably send their regular customer service an email too but the feedback form helps them identify your specific device on their network. The updates seem to hit units in waves over the course of several days but by now everyone should be on the latest May 27 revision. Have no idea why yours would be left behind, sorry.

nothingman

And now there’s a “June 8” revision that arrived to me today, June 12. Personally I don’t mind a couple days of delay for roll out but that’s totally different than being stuck several months behind.

Top Bottom