• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping M50

zebigirls974

Hello FuzzTone, have you been able to connect wifi between a phone and the M50, or wifi is completly unuseful ?. When you enter in the wifi settings, does the M50 see anything or NADA ?. how about DLNA ?. Have you tried to connect it to a computer as a "sound card" ?.

FuzzTone

Hello FuzzTone, have you been able to connect wifi between a phone and the M50, or wifi is completly unuseful ?. When you enter in the wifi settings, does the M50 see anything or NADA ?. how about DLNA ?. Have you tried to connect it to a computer as a "sound card" ?.
No none of the above. Wrong tree. Done with computer sound.

Phrangko

Luckily it defaults to the play mode (shuffle etc.) so you don't have to re select it for each session like in my Hyundai
It will play XL DSD files (through DSD256} but only the DOP mode does not generate an annoying and dangerous "new track" noise event. Pop goes the weasel. No biggee as it sounds essentially the same.
The displau shows album art and song title, but without artist and album good luck making a positive ID.
If you can read the tiny screen from .5 meter you pass the eye test.
A couple of times it burped ("skipped") on OTG but after minor fiddling it righted itself Hopefully burn-in will settle it in a groove.
I have all my local jazz in redbook on a 256 TF card. 258 hours on shuffle; the size limits are fine.
One issue: Changing USB drives involves at least 5 menu clicks. The same for BlueTooth. There are 3 unused buttons on the remote that's included. In a perfect world they would be assigned to TF card. flash drive and BlueTooth DIRECT.
Some day someone will build a player with full folder navigation and p;lay via remote. Not there yet.
If you get a "bad" track you don't like it looks like you can delete it right in the player.
I can play "curated radio" via drives like rock, hard rock, bluesrock, southern rock, 60's, etc. without internet.
Hi. As user can you play your music files offline?

Pat Lee

I wonder if I can use my notebook to play streaming music thru the DLNA by connecting to the same wifi. I've ask their taobao official without a confirmed answer. Dang it

zebigirls974

The manual also mentions connecting to wifi, but doesn't go into the details of how a password would be entered...

View attachment 204502
Capture d’écran 2022-06-14 121621.jpg
With remote and the keyboard that appears on the m50 screen (From topping Service).

bsas

Am I the only one looking at the M50 as the cheapest way to add IIS to a Raspi or a PC/Mac?

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe there is a use case for external I2S but, I would have the cheapest way is to not bother.

bsas

Maybe there is a use case for external I2S but, I would have the cheapest way is to not bother.

“not bother” doesn’t magically add an IIS port to my system unfortunately, so, if it doesn’t solve a problem, it is not “the cheapest way” to solve the problem… :)

navin

AndyLewis

And its app is for what then?
I reckon this may be developed to a very nice streamer & playback device & who knows - possibly recorder (?) with the addition of some soft & hardware similar to the Wiim mini. Then I'll be getting my readies out no mistake - I'm tempted now!!!

FuzzTone

If you are undecided get a coupla streamers first. I have 6 and I do more listening on the M50. I enjoy curating huge playlists and then playing them in random. With easy selection of playlists. With no network hassles.
For me it is perfect.
For you?????

AndyLewis

The DNLA function - I have a slot in usb on my home router which chucks out up to 192k 24 bit streams onto the network - Samsung TV wiim & android phone apps can then then access this without passwords etc. I comes up as "Home Media Server" Maybe this is what the DNLA function is for - expanding the library although it does defeat the object of the no network hassles advantages!
I've used the Router option but if our jittery satellite wifi plays up - nightmare! Wiim also picks it up at full res.
Might get one when my next Hi Fi fund becomes available or ...the D90 LE .... Errr indecision indecision ; )

I'm writing this inquiry from an almost complete lack of knowledge concerning the question of what role the Topping M50 plays:

Currently, I hardwire connect my iPhone 8 to a Topping D90SE. The D90SE feeds a Topping A90 through to a Topping PA5 which drives a pair of Revel M16 speakers. Topping cables are used throughout (except between the phone and D90SE and when connecting the PA5 to my loudspeakers). I sometimes listen to Tidal streamed music using Dan Clark Aeon Noires.

(1) I have no idea whether this is the 'proper way' (highest fidelity way) to play music streamed from Tidal (my primary music source), although the music generally sounds mighty good to me;

(2) Would adding the M50 to the audio chain described above (between the iPhone and D90SE) serve any fidelity related purpose?

Please feel free to educate me. I'm just starting to grasp digital music reproduction. Thank you all!

Jonathan

bsas

The M50 is basically a bit perfect player. If you use your iPhone via USB, there is no difference quality wise, but, if you use any kind of bluetooth you loose quality because of lossy compression.

The M50 has multiple roles in a system if you don’t want the hassle of plugin your phone via USB basically. Like an raspberry Pi or any streamer, it’s only job is to send bit perfect data to the D90SE.

Also, if you have DSD files or high resolution FLAC files I don’t know if the iPhone can send those. In that case the M50 works like a cheap, low power, remote controlled, small PC that can decode those files…

But, if you are happy to hardwire your phone already and you don’t have a collection of FLACs or DSDs, don’t bother, it’s the same quality wise…

Top Bottom