• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Speaker Review (A Joke)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 367 87.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 9 2.2%

• Total voters

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, that was fun :cool:

Nothing much unexpected here. With 2.5mm of apparent Xmax, you should get about 86 dB at 100 Hz/1m, and even that seems to be distorted, so the best guess is that the real Xmax is just around 1mm. The reflex tuning only can do so much to extend the inevitable…

That said, this thing would benefit from something like a 6.5” or 8” woofer crossover at somewhere around 500 Hz. Since the driver is only $40, that leaves plenty of budget if you don’t go for the kit option. Then again, a low fs tweeter with a waveguide will probably do better in that case.

The tiny KH80DSP will do only a bit better in the distortion part. I guess it also handles the breakdown it much more gracefully.
1654755922539.jpeg

See here its distortion boundary. It very much tracks with what we see here. There is probably 6 to 10dB more oomph in it compared to the GR. Obviously it’s a far better speaker overall. 10 dB amounts to about double the perceived loudness, so will be quite noticeable.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This might be a good chance (or a motivation) to dig and see whether Klippel have a developed a standard of measuring inter modulation distortion.

The regular harmonic distortion measurements don’t really indicate that speaker is absolutely unusable. Small sure, but unusable not really. But when you consider that it’s one diaphragm playing everything I wouldn’t be surprised with the warbling sound tbh.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, that was fun :cool:

Nothing much unexpected here. With 2.5mm of apparent Xmax you should get about 86 dB at 100 Hz/1m, and even that seems to be distorted, so best guess is that the real Xmax is just around 1mm. The reflex tuning only can do so much to extend the inevitable…

That said, this thing would benefit from something like 6.5” or 8” woofer crossover at somewhere around 500 Hz. Since the driver is only $40, that leaves plenty of budget if you don’t go for the kit option. Then again, a low fs tweeter with a waveguide will probably do better in that case.

The tiny KH80DSP will do only a bit better in the distortion part. I guess it also handles the breakdown it much more gracefully.
View attachment 211741
See here it’s distortion boundary. It very much tracks with what we see here. There is probably 6 to 10dB more oomph in it compare to the GR. Obviously it’s a far better speaker overall. 10 dB amounts to about double the perceived loudness, so will be quite noticeable.
By the way at the limit of Xmax you’re expecting 10% THD, so hardly Hi-Fi at 80dB.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir, good job. Consumer information at its best!:)

Amir:
"The main driver is a tiny" full range "3 inch unit"

I say what others have either already said or will say. Use it as a midrange in a three-way construction. It still can not handle lower bass frequencies. Then a proper tweeter instead at the top. Even a DIY beginner understands that. But at that price? Nop. Here, on the other hand, is a well-known and really affordable 3.5 driver:

You can usually get it for around $ 20.

respice finem

Major Contributor
I think the why is clear: selling $300 worth of crossover parts for a $40 driver! All it needs to be believable is to claim it performs better than larger speakers.....
While we're at it: The comparison with the KH80DSP is interesting, because it has
  • amplification included (bi-amping)
  • DSP crossover, with the option to "cooperate" with its matching subwoofer. With this, it becomes a 3-way system, which can very well compete with larger (and more expensive) speakers. Yes I did listen to it :)
  • a rationally (form follows function) designed waveguide and cabinet
  • XLR in = forget connection woes
  • integrated protection for the drivers, both mechanically (mesh) and electronically (limiter).
Ceterum censeo: Hard times for those "spreading the gospel" :cool:

Last edited:

Ageve

There is no crossover filter.... just a passive EQ circuit. ;)

Hehe I know. But there are ”crossover”components included (for the EQ circuit).

Speaking of distortion, he once told me (in a Youtube comment) that it’s just a catch phrase, and it’s not audible. I guess/hope he didn’t mean this speaker.

eddy555

well stop and think for a minute - it's a 3 inch passive full range driver doing on par or even better in terms of linearity than many 3 way dsp driven monitors...I mean it has to give up on something...in this case the trade off is higher distortion.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Jesus, so for everything below 80Hz you're essentially listening to just distortion?!
GR Research Distortion 1.jpg

GR Research Distortion 2.jpg

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1654755922539.jpeg

See here it’s distortion boundary. It very much tracks with what we see here. There is probably 6 to 10dB more oomph in it compare to the GR. Obviously it’s a far better speaker overall. 10 dB amounts to about double the perceived loudness, so will be quite noticeable.
Harmonic distortion is anyway unfortunately not a great metric to correlate with audibility, would be more interesting to compare the intermodulation distortion of both where the 2-way KH80 would be also superior, see also

By this time, I actually expected the speaker to sound good (based on spin data). Boy was that not the case. At any listening level above faint music, there would be this nasty warbling sound to vocals which would progressively get worse with volume. I am talking about way below the point where it crackles. The only time this was not super audible was if there was no bass at all. My female tracks are not bass heavy but the bit they had, caused this speaker distort so badly that it was unlistenable. I have tested over 200 speakers and never heard a speaker with such poor response.
Those are all signs of high IMDs.

Top Bottom