• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

need to rent a room calibration expert

datrumole

is this even a thing? i know you could get back in the day people to come over and calibrate your tv, but is there such a service of someone who really knows rew, rephase, eapo that i can meet with (zoom, teams, whatever) that can help calibrate a room?

there are a ton of resources, i've read most of them. yet every guide i see seems to contradict the next one in some minute way, and some are tailored to just 2ch vs 5.1 and sometimes that's not even stated in the guide...then you go through the whole thing and after it just sounds bad. some fail to account for phase, some for time domains, some do vector matching others skip it, some use curves some don't (thats easy enough)

i know all the steps, and to a degree i know what i'm setting out to do, it's the execution of it all and putting all the variables together

1. time align: do i use the actual speaker impulse in REW, or is an actual laser/tape measurement more accurate?
  2. level match: i've seen conflicting ways to do this. some folks say to bring the entire channel down with pink noise, then EQ, others say let the EQ bring it down to the proper level. which is correct?
  3. EQ: moving mic measurements MMM are awesome and time friendly ways to get great and accurate measurements. then you use that, and let REW EQ your system! nice! but bad news, you just created all sorts of fun new phase issues. lets go use rephase, oh wait, you can't use MMM for rephase measurements, awesome....
  4. crossovers: i have main speakers i'd like to cross over into the subs, or do i let them naturally roll off? i'd like to redirect the LCR sound that i'm crossing over into the sub channel in EAPO, but it obviously creates clipping, but if you do the math properly, then the sub channel gets nuked so much, you have to bring down the whole system whatever factor you brought the sub down so it matches. hell, at this point i'm happy with just losing the LCR sub 60hz and letting whatever is on the sub track
  5. rePhase: can i even use this in a 5.1 setting due to the potential lipsync issues? i've seen some say use IIR filters for Xhz-Yhz, then FIR filters for Yhz-Zhz, and above like 15khz don't even bother to eq. which is accurate? some guides do phase correction only, others do phase correction and EQ, but that contradicts the using IIR filters for a specific band....

the above is a lot of time to figure this all out, to the the point where i want to just say 'f it', time align and level match and move on

does anyone have a resource, or guide, that just sort of goes through someone literally just doing their whole system with all these together? can anyone offer their time to help, for compensation? DIRAC @ 500 bucks seems a bit steeper than i'd like to pay

jlo

Why don't you try loudspeakers.audio ? It's free at the moment and you do MMM, together with phase measurement, and many other graphs, all in a 2 or 3 minutes measurement sequence. In 5.1, it's a bit less complete than in stereo.

OP
D

datrumole

Why don't you try loudspeakers.audio ? It's free at the moment and you do MMM, together with phase measurement, and many other graphs, all in a 2 or 3 minutes measurement sequence. In 5.1, it's a bit less complete than in stereo.
i didnt know this existed, so do you record in rew and forgo measurement?

jlo

i didnt know this existed, so do you record in rew and forgo measurement?
no, you play the downloaded track and record it with any audio recording software such as Audacity. Then upload this record to the website to get all graphs.

Zoomer

Top Bottom