• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

deniall83

Audio Desk Systeme CD Lathe. Shaves the edge off your CD to make them rounder because apparently that's a real thing. It improves dynamic range and reduces noise. A bargain at $1100.

M00NMAN

Audio Desk Systeme CD Lathe. Shaves the edge off your CD to make them rounder because apparently that's a real thing. It improves dynamic range and reduces noise. A bargain at $1100.

Just reach out to their customer service and let them know all your CDs are SQUARE, they may give you a 50% discount!

M00NMAN

Anyone tested these or have these? Price is not too ridiculous but no way to determine how much oil in this snake?

sq225917

Major Contributor
The auto desk lathe can at least help balance off centre discs. I treated one cd where the reduction in physical noise from the mech was quite reduced. The music sounded no different though.

And off course there's nothing to say the data track in centered to the stamped hole in the centre, so it does nothing to reduce laser servo action.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

''...but as I thought about it, the premise didn't seem all that silly. After all, I had already found that just about anything you did to a CD was likely to make it sound better -- cleaner/polishers, rubber bands (or green marker) on the edges, demagnetizing gadgets, anti-static liquid...''

Beyond parody.

Descartes

Major Contributor
49CE0EEF-BF12-4D02-A3C6-B22464E596C3.jpeg
This has to be the ultimate snake oil website go to if you want to throw your money away:

It has the most expensive and unscrupulous companies advertising their unobtainium material backed by vudu and probably psychedelic substances…

Seriously who buys this stuff?

Last edited:

M00NMAN

View attachment 211532This has to be the ultimate snake oil website go to if you want to throw your money away:

It has the most expensive and unscrupulous companies advertising their unobtainium material backed by vudu and probably psychedelic substances…

Seriously who buys this stuff?

"Snake Charmers" sell it and "sheeple" buy it, they get "memorized" by the oil oozing out of the system lifting away endless layers of veils! :)

M00NMAN

Synergistic Research's entire product line could go in this thread but I've always found the acoustic products to be particularly silly.

VibratronLivinRoomwithSpeakers-1080x394.jpg

The Vibratron has Rattlesnake oil in it. So if anything in your listing area starts rattling the Rattlesnake Oil in the Vibratron will dampen and absorb it, thus lifting the veil! Caution don't shake the Vibratron as the Rattlesnake may come out and bite you in the ass and may ruin your listening experience.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Didn't Nagra used to be a pretty serious Pro-Audio company?

Yes they did some very respected portable open reel tape machines that for example reporters for radio used back in the day.

Trivia Jazz at the Pawnshop is recorded on a Nagra :)

The new stuff is just sad , tubes and silly prices , but they retained the cosmetic look and feel.

I think old and respected audio companies shall be allowed to die and not to Be resurrected as crap ( cheap all in one systems or silly high end ).

Marantz survived this and managed some good stuff over the years ( beside the usual crap ).

Fisher did not , they where resurrected to make silly crap in the 80’s and 90’s and I never seen them since.
Tandberg went belly up , some years later I saw new Tandberg TV’s ?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes they did some very respected portable open reel tape machines that for example reporters for radio used back in the day.

Trivia Jazz at the Pawnshop is recorded on a Nagra :)

The new stuff is just sad , tubes and silly prices , but they retained the cosmetic look and feel.

I think old and respected audio companies shall be allowed to die and not to Be resurrected as crap ( cheap all in one systems or silly high end ).

Marantz survived this and managed some good stuff over the years ( beside the usual crap ).

Fisher did not , they where resurrected to make silly crap in the 80’s and 90’s and I never seen them since.
Tandberg went belly up , some years later I saw new Tandberg TV’s ?
Tandberg do video conferencing now. We got them as a client where I worked, I was all excited as I thought they had been resurrected as a hi-fi company until I Googled them.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nagra, at the time it was run by Stefan Kudelski, was a serious electronics and precision mechanical engineering company.

The company then split, the 'HiFi' (read Snake-Oil) company was taken over by Kudelski's daughter and trades off the original company's kudos. The engineering part still exists, doing things like encryption technology for secure satellite feeds.

S.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Coincidentally, I had a couple in to test, which I did. Then promptly lost them. While digging around for something else, found them yesterday. I'm going to purify my quantums tonight for sure!
[emphasis added]

Quantum stuff is like that. Something to do with Heisenberg, I think. Maybe Schroedinger. I'm uncertain.
Just be glad you didn't find them tomorrow, 'cause that would have really been strange.

rimshot.gif

Destroid

Vastly better than plain old 50/60Hz sine for breaking in power cables:

(at least it's a bargain at 5% the cost of the cable)

M00NMAN

Vastly better than plain old 50/60Hz sine for breaking in power cables:

(at least it's a bargain at 5% the cost of the cable)

No need to spend that kinda money, just put the power cable in a zip lock bag and throw it in your slow cooker next time your wife is cooking stew!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
No need to spend that kinda money, just put the power cable in a zip lock bag and throw it in your slow cooker next time your wife is cooking stew!
I like your thinking on this, but you may be missing out on even better tweaks for power cords!
I am thinking of trying.

1) microwaving a power cord.
and/or
2) toasting a power cord on an inductive cooktop.

Of course, I'll conduct careful listening tests before and after using a standard panel of reference test tracks. I'll even do it double blind if I can find a couple of blind folks who have an open slot on their calendars.
:cool:

M00NMAN

I like your thinking on this, but you may be missing out on even better tweaks for power cords!
I am thinking of trying.

1) microwaving a power cord.
and/or
2) toasting a power cord on an inductive cooktop.

Of course, I'll conduct careful listening tests before and after using a standard panel of reference test tracks. I'll even do it double blind if I can find a couple of blind folks who have an open slot on their calendars.
:cool:

Unfortunately these will not work because:
1). Microwave conditioning of power chord method will make you music "feel less alive and muted"
2). Conditioning power chord via toasting may be detrimental as your will lose the 3-D soundstage and it just adds unnecessary Veils

Slow cooking in a slow cooker you can add a pinch of Dead Sea salt or Hamalayan salt and that will help make the sound less bland/tinny. If you want some warmth and punch then add some Carolina Reaper pepper (not too much or your low end will become dominant). You can put a drop of Snake Oil and that always helps lift a couple of layers of veils "does no harm" to signal(1s will always be 1s and 0s will always be 0s).

I am holding out until I can find a power chord and interconnects that contain liquid mercury as the signal transport. Until then the slow cooker it is for me!

Top Bottom