• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio CXA81 Review (Sample 2)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a follow up to my first test of the Cambridge Audio CXA81. Results there showed fair bit of noise which was uncharacteristic of other products I have tested from the company. There were a lot of speculation as to the source of the problem but no data to back any. Fortunately company CEO was kind enough to contact me about a week later expressing surprised at my results. I asked them if they have measurements that are better. After some investigation, they said that they could replicate my results at their China manufacturing facility but not their R&D lab. I expressed that I no longer had the unit so there was not any work I could do to get to the bottom of this. I was offered a new unit and offer for payment to test again. I accepted the second unit but turn down the offer of payment.

In the communication, I was asked (as some members had also suggested) whether I lifted the USB ground using the switch in the back. I had not and ran those tests on the second unit. This is with the unit grounded:

CXA81 Grounded.png

The low frequency noise was much lower in this sample but you can still see the channel in red showing a wide spectrum of high frequency noise. This reduced its sinad fair bit compared to the "good" channel. Lifting the ground made that better but created a new problem:

CXA81 Ground Lift.png

At first it appears that there is more harmonic distortion given the spikes at 2, 3,4, 5, etc. KHz. But that is not so. USB micro packets are 1 Kbytes each and frame boundaries are showing up there as leakage from digital to analog circuits. So lifting the ground is really not a good solution here although I appreciate it being there as it may help some systems.

Post this we had a conference call with the designers of the product. Issue was brought up that this is an instrumentation thing that the Audio Precision analyzer is creating a loop and ground noise that would not be there. While this is true, I explained that I have tested hundreds of DACs that don't have this problem. I have once in a while seen this but it is exceptionally rare. Since overall results were more positive than the first sample, I offered to re-run all the measurements and post them.

A problem which we did NOT have a disagreement was, was the output limit of the pre-out. Like many AVRs, this is lower than I like to see at 1.5 volt. Above that it will saturate and distortion will increase.

With this intro, let's get into the measurements. Company has seen all the measurements and agrees with them.

CXA81 DAC Measurements (Sample 2)
I wanted to break the electrical link between the analyzer and CXA81 so started my DAC testing using Toslink optical. Here is our dashboard:

Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC Toslink Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluetooth.png

Note how I have picked the max output before output saturating. If we sweep the input level we see the full range of output relative to distortion:
Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC Toslink THD vs Level  Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Blue...png

As you see at 2 volts, we get down to SINAD of 75 dB which is what I measured with the first sample at that output.

I next switched to USB input:
Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC USB Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluetooth.png

We see noise intrusion reducing SINAD by a few dBs relative to TOSLINK optical. Here is a key discovery though: this is NOT due to USB input but mere connection of USB cable. You can see that noise even with Toslink when I have USB plugged in (but not used as an input):

Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC Toslink and USB Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluetooth.png

Turns out this noise issue will proceed to corrupt the measurements of all other subsystems and was the reason why the amplifier for example did not perform well either in the first round. The impact with this second unit is lower than first sample though. This could be due to noise conditions changing on my test system (nature of computers and grounding) or something is different in the second sample.

To eliminate USB noise as a factor I continued the rest of DAC tests using Toslink so let's go through them quickly:

Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC Toslink DNR Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluetooth.png

Linearity test was impacted by another rare issue which is power supply noise very close to the test tone of 200 Hz I use here. There is a strong bandpass filter here but not enough to get rid of that:
Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC Toslink Linearity Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluetooth.png

We see clear jitter sources but they are benign audibly:
Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC Toslink Jitter Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluetooth.png

IMD test shows more noise than I like to see but is very good at the limit, beating my reference DAC in blue:
Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC Toslink IMD Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluetooth.png

Here is our reconstruction filter:
Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC Toslink Filter Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluetooth.png

And THD+N vs frequency:
Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC Toslink THD+N vs Frequency Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon...png

Pre-amp Measurements
Here again we see the impact of connecting the USB cable or not while testing analog in/analog out:

Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC XLR In Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluetooth.png

Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC XLR In USB Connected Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluet...png

Power Amplifier Measurements
Let's start with our usual dashboard:

Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC XLR In  Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluetooth.png

This is above average for all amplifiers tested to date and far better than noise-induced measurements of the first sample. Distortion is at -100 dB which is very good.
Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC XLR In SNR Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluetooth.png

Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC XLR In Crosstalk Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluetooth.png

Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC XLR In Frequency Response Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon ...png

'.png

Power sweeps are much improved due to lower noise:
Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC XLR In Power into 4 ohm Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bl...png

Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC XLR In Power 8 Integrated Amplifier Streamer Roon Bluetooth.png

Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC XLR In Max and Peak Power into 4 ohm Integrated Amplifier Str...png

We see that in various frequencies as well:
Cambridge CXA81 Measurements DAC XLR In Frequency vs Power into 4 ohm Integrated Amplifier Str...png

The lower amount of noise allows distinction between the test tones.

Conclusions
The second sample combined with not connecting USB cable shows CXA81 in much better light. Performance is competent now for the class and transparent for most uses.
Where would one put the blame for noise being induced using USB? Me? Instrumentation? Vagueness of computer audio/grounding? Some or all of the above?

When testing AVRs, I have started testing with Toslink to remove issues related to HDMI. I should have opted to do the same here but did not since I consider the unit in a different class. Still, I take some blame and should have done this before returning the unit. As I expressed to the company though, this is not a problem that other devices have so I implore them to investigate how to use this variability. After all, your system may be much worse than my configuration as your downstream devices and upstream computer may present even a worse situation. One likes to take comfort in thinking "one digital input is the same as another."

As it is, you have the tough situation that you can't leave USB cable connected lest you degrade the performance of the rest of the system. If you don't have an audible issue, this is not a concern but if it is, experiment with removing USB cable and see if fixes the problem.

For me personally, USB connection is critical and about the only input I would use on such a combo device. So the above is not something that works for me. But may be fine for you.

I also like to see output levels of 2 volts for unbalanced without saturating. We are seeing AVR/AVP companies going this way. No reason to do different in a combo device like this. Higher output level gives better freedom to use external amplifiers.

Finally, let me express my sincere and deep appreciate for Cambridge Audio and company CEO for accepting the challenging results of the first test and working with me on better clarity and a constructive path forward. In that regard, they earn highest levels of respect from me. I look forward to quality products from them that come across my bench.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A scientist, a measurer, and a gentleman.

ClosDeLaRoche

Where on the volume knob are you seeing that 1.5 volt, optimal performance? I have a CXA61 and find that it sounds perfect up to around 12 o'clock on the volume knob, and anything past 1:30 is not wonderful.

BTW I want to post two things about the DAC, one good one bad.

The good: this is CA's first ESS DAC and like a lot of other ESS DACs, at launch the CXA DACs would NOT lock onto a digital signal form some TVs. Enough owners complained that CA released a fix. It is SO RARE for ESS DACs to properly lock onto the optical outs of some TVs and I really appreciate CA releasing the fix.

The bad: not too big of a deal but the DAC inverts polarity while the analog inputs do not invert polarity. Every once in a while I shoot CA an email to see if this has been fixed in a firmware update but no luck...

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hats off to Cambridge Audio for working with you to rectify the prior results and providing a fresh unit to measure.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
What could be a reason other products don't have this USB issue?

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No Panther?

CrustyToad

Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm for following up with a second sample. As stated in the review of the first sample I was expecting better from CA and it is good to see more performance was there.

My CA 840 v2 sounds rock solid, though it has no onboard dac to mess things up. Would love to send it to you for measurements but I am across the pond...

Cudos to CA for following up on this. And again to @amirm for his continued efforts.

I have the feeling that the tides are starting to turn and manufacturers taking notice of the good work done at ASR. In a few years time we might look back and recognize the point at which measurements and good engineering came back to home audio and theater.

Cheers to this great community! I have learned so much here!

diddley

Forum Donor
Thank you Amir, And for staying a gentleman turning down that offer.
Maybe in the future they can first measure it by you before production.
I am a owner of the CXA81 and was very interested in the follow up.
Thanks to CAMBRIDGE AUDIO as well.
it's a wonderfull world!

diddley

Forum Donor
Now i hope that this second review will end up high in google results so it gives a honest picture of the measurement and the apparatus

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
No Panther?
They weren't available. I am so far behind gardening this year. The fields are full of weeds. And sir @Thomas savage is too busy celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee than to come and pull weeds. So the panthers were it. I could take their picture at night but they get dirty so much from day work that it won't look good.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
They weren't available. I am so far behind gardening this year. The fields are full of weeds. And sir @Thomas savage is too busy celebrating the Queen's Platinum Jubilee than to come and pull weeds. So the panthers were it. I could take their picture at night but they get dirty so much from day work that it won't look good.
Somebody could develop a robotic type unit like a robotic vacuum cleaner for weed picking the garden. No doubt hundreds of millions of gardeners globally would buy one and set it to GPS mode and forget about it till the battery dies from overcharging. :D The biggest hurdle I see is the weight of the removed weeds and dirt that attaches to the roots. Perhaps a chassis transducer could vibrate/loosen the dirt and reduce the weight of the pickings. It might be wheelbarrow sized.

diddley

Forum Donor
ofcourse it's a flaw, but with a workaround just pull the cable when you are finished

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Somebody could develop a robotic type unit like a robotic vacuum cleaner for weed picking the garden. No doubt hundreds of millions of gardeners globally would buy one and set it to GPS mode and forget about it till the battery dies from overcharging. :D The biggest hurdle I see is the weight of the removed weeds and dirt that attaches to the roots. Perhaps a chassis transducer could vibrate/loosen the dirt and reduce the weight of the pickings. It might be wheelbarrow sized.
It would be the best invention in the world. I use my tiller to attack them but they come right back up when you plantings are in there. And then becomes a tedious hand pulling.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be the best invention in the world. I use my tiller to attack them but they come right back up when you plantings are in there. And then becomes a tedious hand pulling.
My mother had between 1/3 and 1/2 acre depending on the year of model veggie garden alongside of the Columbia River and then add in all of the flower gardens too. It was 2 acres of manicured lawns and gardens like a golf course with veggies, fruit trees and flowers. I was chief gardener and bottle washer too. lol. Anyway I think the only way to get rid of weeds is to yank the top and bottoms out completely and then upkeep that when the slight little ones come back from seeds that waft in. I feel for you. I've weeded so much my fingers my index fingers are still disfigured from yarding those things from the soil by the ton.

Bryan T

If you can't leave the USB cable connected without degrading performance that's a big negative. Can't imagine why anyone would accept that design limitation. Especially at a $1400 price point. :facepalm:o_O:D
Fortunately, you can test it to see if it matters.

Top Bottom