• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Fluid Audio Image 2 Review (Monitor Speaker)

Mario Sanchez

That step response seems to suggest a linear phase crossover, any word on that department?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Puzzled why fluid needs to outsource the measurements, one would have expected precision measurements and tests to be part if their development cycle.
They had their own measurements. But lacked the precision that my measurements provided.

Triliza

Forum Donor
Puzzled why fluid needs to outsource the measurements, one would have expected precision measurements and tests to be part if their development cycle.
I read "Puzzled" and my mind start thinking on its own.
- Maybe they wanted to compare their in-house measurements with the ones from a Klippel (thinking to get one?)
-They needed more details about data that Klippel can easily provide.
- Get some exposure at the same time which is not a bad thing.
- So Amir could bless the speaker (just by touching it) and they'd sell like crazy!!!!!
- Something else.

3125b

Major Contributor
17dB is an awful lot. Hiss must have been really bad in the first place.
Fluid Audio has indeed been really bad at that front so far.
17dB reduction would put them just about in line with more modern products of other manufacturers.

Looks like an interesting design. Any word about cost, are we talking 600, 800, 1000€/$ each?

Zvu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
^ 1800€/each

Fine. The only thing I would expect to be better is LF distortion (considering the two 8" drivers).

2 long stroke 8" woofers in a small closed volume does that. These actually perform better than Dutch&Dutch 8C in that regard.

Really nice looking overall.
I'd prolly still go with the 708p with it's built in PEQ and power handling ability and lower price from a dealer... of course maybe some Fluid dealors negotiate.

Be curious if these can handle high SPL like JBL. Data does suggest so.

I read that the 7 series line had problems with port chuffing or port resonance. They're also 2 way. You do however get a compression driver, and JBL excels at horns, so it leans on their strengths.
17dB reduction would put them just about in line with more modern products of other manufacturers.
Aren't all class-D amps noisy by default? When people were using A/B, AB, or H amps (Aventone one with military grade spec around 2014?) nobody complained about noise floor. Also, cheap class-D has quite variable quality considering you'll have people either super vocal about it or thinks it's perfect.

Looks like an interesting design. Any word about cost, are we talking 600, 800, 1000€/$ each?
Price: $1899 / €1799 each

Noooooooooooooooooooo. I was also following these monitors and COVID-19 really hurt their roll out in regards to the timetable and pricing. Had the pandemic never happened, I'm quite certain they would have launched last year and for up to $400 less. It's just a ****** thing to think about, like how good we /could/ have had it. ~$4000 is a lot different than ~$3000 to me. I don't even make 30k a year......

Kali Audio's will likely have a direct competitor to these, but the timetable for that is completely unknown.

I read "Puzzled" and my mind start thinking on its own.
- Maybe they wanted to compare their in-house measurements with the ones from a Klippel (thinking to get one?)
-They needed more details about data that Klippel can easily provide.
- Get some exposure at the same time which is not a bad thing.
- So Amir could bless the speaker (just by touching it) and they'd sell like crazy!!!!!
- Something else.
I think they're trying to use social media more. You can have great products but if nobody sees/hears about them, they don't sell because nobody even knows they exist. Not a related industry at all there have been makeup brands in very recent times that decided to not jump on the "throw money at influencers" train and they literally went bankrupt and/or faded into obscurity, even though they had good products.

Last edited:

Zvu

I thought the exclamation point was reserved for 30 hz and below?

Those look like off the shelf DaytonAudio drivers.

When i take a better look, these look like paper cone woofers with 8 screw holes in aluminium basket - Dayton doesn't make those to my knowledge.

Tweeter looks like AMT used in Martin Logan 4i, only waveguided.

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor

Attachments

• Mesanovic.jpg
    Mesanovic.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 84

Koeitje

Major Contributor

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Aren't all class-D amps noisy by default?
Maybe the super budget ones, but my class D amps (10 year old design) has a very low noise floor.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
It's common for businesses to contract external vendors for measurements. Even when the measurement is core to the business. No matter what the size of the business. Even if the firm has it's own precision metrology in place. It's one way to improve your product.

uwotm8

When i take a better look, these look like paper cone woofers with 8 screw holes in aluminium basket - Dayton doesn't make those to my knowledge.

Tweeter looks like AMT used in Martin Logan 4i, only waveguided.

OMG again and again, a week ago some people said that Elac uses Dayton or sort of part-sex-press cheap drivers (Elac were making AMTs before it became mainstream), now that. All AMTs look pretty much the same but they are different and made by plenty of companies.

Talking about Fluids, well... Not as much bass, or precision, or distortion-free as expected. Price is high enough to consider getting KLH 310s which are all way better afaik. Also as a Dynaudio fanboy for home I'd prefer almost twice as cheaper LYD 48 due to specific brand "easy listening" sort of (pretty) flat sound

Thanks

tktran303

Forum Donor
This looks like a good product. Thanks to Armir' NFS, after few crossover tweaks and it should be able to have top tonality (Preference score 7.x)

As the wise Ms. Knowles said- if you like it, put a (shorting) ring on it.

Reactions: Zvu

heflys20

Pretty impressive for a prototype. It can only get better, hopefully. The drivers are made in house, too; or so the website claims.

heflys20

Talking about Fluids, well... Not as much bass, or precision, or distortion-free as expected. Price is high enough to consider getting KLH 310s which are all way better afaik.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, since these are prototypes and the final product can be improved through firmware updates.

F1308

Major Contributor
At nearly $8,000 is five times the price of the speaker reviewed in this thread! But yes, it would be nice to test it....
Thank you, Amir.
On standby...

Mesanovic should be let to know your extremely high precision tools are at their disposal, and that the community is very anxious.

:):):):)

Last edited:
Top Bottom