• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367 review by Erin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digby

Major Contributor
It was the 'universality' of you comment I thought was a lot of crap.
It isn't crap though. A speaker that fifteen people find attractive, fifty people will likely feel similarly. A speaker that one person finds attractive, who knows if anyone else will share that view. Same with attractiveness of faces, architecture, you name it.

It's a cheap shot, but I never had to Markle myself to enjoy what I wanted. Perhaps you do.
I don't think you have to pick and choose between form and function, you can have both, most of the time anyway. I think women (some are more accommodating, as you know) have it right here, aesthetics is important and it is a part of what I want.

crazycloud

A speaker that one person finds attractive, who knows if anyone else will share that view. Same with attractiveness of faces, architecture, you name it.
So not universal.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Marriage can induce in a man, THE WIMP , that he never knew he had in him ;)
There, I fixed it for you. LOL

Bollocks. Some of us simply don't care. If I liked how the 4367 sounded, I wouldn't care if they came in unfinished mdf. As a matter of fact, my last speakers just spent nearly a decade this way.
I'm with you. I paid $500 each for my La Scala's in 1978. Raw birch plywood, I later crudely finished them myself.
Today they only come very purdy, starting around $6,600.
My little dobe "Max" kept them safe.
EarlyLaScala.jpg

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Could someone please give me one reason why i should care about the asthetic feelings of others, if i would love the sound and the look of this speaker?

Please just one, so that i can follow?

crazycloud

Could someone please give me one reason why i should care about the asthetic feelings of others, if i would love the sound and the look of this speaker?
Most especially if they're in your home.

Newman

Major Contributor

Please just one, so that i can follow?
Errrr, they live with you and as a general rule their happiness seems to be a prerequisite for your happiness?

Just one? OK, done.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Also 15 inch, but active and a 3-way
I would choose them over the JBLs :)
Screenshot_20220604-015401_Chrome.jpg

crazycloud

Errrr, they live with you and as a general rule their happiness seems to be a prerequisite for your happiness?

Just one? OK, done.
I'm sure he was referring to people outside the household.

Newman

Major Contributor
…and I’m sure the question was rhetorical, not to mention a straw man, unless he can point to someone actually saying he does need to care about the aesthetic feelings of others…

Postlan

I would not. A large monitor with 15" woofer(s) is all about dynamics and low distortion at high SPL. Most people would prefer direct radiator if the speaker is small, but when the speaker gets larger, 2 way horn is just better in this regard. Much lower distortion, no crossover above 1k. Why you want to buy a large monitor? I don't think you'll need one anyway.

SDC

DFAA33EF-AF48-40B9-A0BC-1673170D5342.jpeg
0E53BB82-4B83-4C37-95AC-A8CCEB3E57FD.jpeg

As an owner since 2019, I think this speaker sounds good but as a product, half baked.

And no I did not use alcohol, benzene or whatever on or near the cabinet.
Just a bit of sunlight, not direct but close.

Saw this going on, I bought lacquer tung oil mix, had hard time in the living room for several days, cause no garage or such here.

Ethan Allen wood furnitures had absolutely no problem for more than a decade and JBL this in one third. So, better finish or warning to oil it in the manual would be helpful.

And again centering of compression driver on the horn and poor finish of the horn itself.

I knew this problem when buying it, 705 708 has it too, so no problem for me but that doesn't make this the speaker of the year so I'll point it out just in case somebody doesn't knows it.

Last edited:

crazycloud

but when the speaker gets larger, 2 way horn is just better in this regard.
I don't agree at all.
Much lower distortion, no crossover above 1k.
Most small (1") CDs have trouble doing the lower distortion a decent DR will do in this area. I have no problem with well implemented xovers above 1k.
Why you want to buy a large monitor? I don't think you'll need one anyway.
Because I want one and from time to time I like to listen at elevated SPLs and I want it clean when I do. Please don't bother quoting OH&S SPL rules at me either.

SDC

Most small (1") CDs have trouble doing the lower distortion a decent DR will do in this area. I have no problem with well implemented xovers above 1k.

Ok, I didn't go through the whole thread so don't know why 2way 3way genelec talk is going on here.

But with all that money you don't have to buy 1"w/1.75" small format CDs unless building MEH or such. Which will end up 3 way or higher.

Since this is 4367 thread and D2 in it is 1.5".
There are decent drivers from Radian and even coaxial options from BMS and B&C. They do fine under 1k.

If we start from diameter/multi-way/horizontal&vertical directivity it belongs to a whole different thread IMO.

crazycloud

Since this is 4367 thread and D2 in it is 1.5".
And it seems to have evolved from that specifically. 1.4 and 1.5 (many fewer options there) have more issues esp re directivity and oil canning of the diaphragms up high, much more so that a 1".
even coaxial options from BMS and B&C.
Then it's a 3 way and to find a flare to load low enough you'll either need the JBL as a spare part or something like the SEOS24.

This isn't my first rodeo. I've been designing and building horn systems for many years now. I've found from actual experience what works really well and also been using MEHs for 15y. Next project is a much larger MEH.

Postlan

Xover itself causes non linear distortion, phase issue, and too many other problems especially if it's above 1k. No question about it. Lower number of xover is simply better if the units can handle wider frequency, and the units on 4367 can handle wider frequency without obvious drawback that we can see.

There are still some compromises here and there, of course, but they are negligible. 4367's driver causes a little higher 2nd harmonic below 1K, but it is still very low and no one can hear it. The woofer does not reach ultimate lowest frequency because it is optimized to reach higher frequency, and the 4367's designer Greg Timbers himself recognizes it. He recommends to use low frequency boost EQ. Unless you're listening to music at 120dB all the time, it is a very clever practical solution. If we want to see ruler flat response, we can always use an active crossover with time alignment, and this speaker deserves it.

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
View attachment 210659
I'm sure these are fabulous, but no wood veneer, no grilles (so nasty dust-traps domestically I suspect) and you'd really need a large room to use them properly.

All you very lucky chaps with such understanding wives - and no, we don't live in a show-house by any long stretch of the imagination - but then, our sitting room is arguably the size of many of you guys' closets or studies I suspect :(

The 4367 can be set on low stands, plonked down and I suspect they'd perform really well with little fuss and bother (I loved the pair I heard) - I doubt any dealers in the UK have a pair though, but they can be obtained to order, so you're screwed if you order a pair and they don't suit and you wish to return them. I'd love to hear the Genelecs above though but I doubt any dealer would ever have these on demonstration?

Last edited:

crazycloud

Xover itself causes non linear distortion, phase issue, and too many other problems especially if it's above 1k. No question about it.
Rubbish. There's no magic in a greater or lesser than 1k position. I could make the same argument that a horn that does the 400-4k decade would be even better, but the 4367 doesn't do that.

I've designed and built speakers with xover all over the place and really don't get some of the seemingly arbitrary numbers thrown around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom