• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Digital XLR outputs - list of streamers or computer interfaces with AES/EBU

stva

Technics SU-R1 is an (expensive) option at about 7000 EUR in Europe. Technics SL-G700 is a bit more affordable (if you can say that for a 2500 EUR streamer) but only has coaxial and optical outputs.

DigiPete

Copenhagen, or Spain or Budapest or the world
Motu 8D delivers 8 channels for €656 (Thomann) USD595 (Sweetwater).
2 AES/EBU output
2 S/PDIF output

I just dropped in 2 short cables and 2 Neutrik BNC - AES transformers, and voila 8 AES channels.
NADITBNC-M if interested (€46).

Includes so much more:
Flexible routing and other audio controls
Browser interface (any)
4 x PEQ / channel
2 AES/EBU input
2 S/PDIF input
Big volume company = constant updates of SW / FW / drivers
AVB
Colour display
Clock internal + input/output
Headphone out

You just gotta love PRO gear :)

monkeyboy

Another option similar to the Matrix X-SPDIF2 is the Topping U90 USB Bridge

5119383.jpg

zeropoint

Here's a couple of devices with Bluetooth. Neither of them support LDAC, which is a big fail if you ask me.

SMSL SD-9:
https://www.smsl-audio.com/portal/product/detail/id/751.html

Digital Interface USB Amanero:
https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/digi...es-spdif-i2s-32bit-192khz-dop128-p-14869.html
From the manual, The SMSL SD-9 supports LDAC as well as UAT for both transmit and receive:

Format
Output support SBC /AAC /APTX/LDAC /UAT Input support SBC /AAC/LDAC /UAT
Input preference order UAT LDAC AAC SBC Output preference order UAT LDAC APTX AAC SBC

Gene LeClair

Auralic Aries G1 has AES output, but it's awfully pricy for what it does.

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Looking to create or find a list of devices that have AES/EBU digital output.

Preferably a combo-streamer box (includes a DAC), but would consider other options:

Streamers w/DAC:

Cambridge Audio Azur 851N $1500. discontinued?!?
Bel Canto e Stream - $1,595.00

Streamers no DAC:

Lumin U1 mini - $2,100
Cocktail Audio x50, x45 - $1,999.00 (x50)
Simaudio Mind2 - Starting at :$ 1,950 USD
Minidsp SHD Studio - $949

DAC no Streamer:

RME ADI-2 Pro

Computer interfaces:

????

Other:

Convert any device with HDMI output (disc player, streamer) to AES/EBU with the AudioPraise VanityPro https://audiopraise.com/projects/internal/vanitypro/.

PI2AES - Pro Audio Shield for Raspberry pi 4

Thanks in advance!
I also prefer a true digital output for use with Genelec. The Azure 851N has re appeared on Crutchfield, Music Direct, still $1500. Appears to be the least expensive option unless you use some type of adapter cable from a spdif source.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
RME Fireface UCX II ($1499)
Matrix Audio X-SABRE Pro MQA ($2299)
Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 USB Interface ($439)
I see a digital AES INPUT on this X Sabre pro DAC but not an AES digital OUTPUT. Am I missing something?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I see a digital AES INPUT on this X Sabre pro DAC but not an AES digital OUTPUT. Am I missing something?

AES Input only.

Skeptischism

There is nothing balanced about BNC. it is by definition single ended. even if you connect the shield as the negative phase, the impedance will not be balanced; due to the physical layout of the cable and connector.

charleski

Major Contributor
There is nothing balanced about BNC. it is by definition single ended. even if you connect the shield as the negative phase, the impedance will not be balanced; due to the physical layout of the cable and connector.
The ‘best’ way to route coax S/PDIF signals (whether on rca or bnc) is via pulse transformers at both output and input with the connectors isolated from the chassis. You can see some relevant circuits here. The incorporation of such baluns allows you to use unbalanced cabling and reconstruct a balanced signal. But you can get away with just using resistors to drop the signal to the right level, so that’s what happens in a lot of cases.

(Sorry for the thread hijack :))

Zaireeka

RME HDSP soundcards can generate an AES EBU signal, you just need a dedicated breakout cable.

JamesYeomans

Forum Donor
Re the RME HDSPe AES:
I got this to go with mine: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079KSRT9X/
It's well made and uses quality materials, though I'm sure you can find cheaper versions elsewhere that will perform just as well. This feels like it'll outlive me though.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Looking for digital output to something like BSS BLU devices or anything like Genelec monitors that accept digital inputs.
SPDIF output is lower voltage and not designed for long runs. Adapters are available, but not ideal.

Thanks!
I also am looking for a solution that involves an AES/EBU XLR on both ends. I also want a user friendly interface for Spotify Connect etc. I have a Node 2i so how does this sound? Node 2i coax out to miniDSP Studio coax input then use the Studio AES/EBU XLR output to Genelec AES/EBU input. I realize the Genelec has its own room correction software but you'd have the option of comparing it to the Dirac available from the Studio. Yes, the Studio is acting as a $900 digital transport but you get the Bluesound interface and the option of Dirac. Another option is the Cambridge 851N which has a reasonable interface and would eliminate the need for the Node 2i; it is still available but costs $1500, without Dirac.

HooStat

Motu 8D delivers 8 channels for €656 (Thomann) USD595 (Sweetwater).
2 AES/EBU output
2 S/PDIF output

I just dropped in 2 short cables and 2 Neutrik BNC - AES transformers, and voila 8 AES channels.
NADITBNC-M if interested (€46).

Includes so much more:
Flexible routing and other audio controls
Browser interface (any)
4 x PEQ / channel
2 AES/EBU input
2 S/PDIF input
Big volume company = constant updates of SW / FW / drivers
AVB
Colour display
Clock internal + input/output
Headphone out

You just gotta love PRO gear :)
I was looking at this. Can it be used as a streamer? That is, can I plug it into my wired (ethernet) network and stream content from my iPad or computer to it? Once there, it seems easy to route the audio in many different ways. I just can't decipher whether my streaming device (computer or iPad) can route the audio to it.

DigiPete

Copenhagen, or Spain or Budapest or the world
I was looking at this. Can it be used as a streamer? That is, can I plug it into my wired (ethernet) network and stream content from my iPad or computer to it? Once there, it seems easy to route the audio in many different ways. I just can't decipher whether my streaming device (computer or iPad) can route the audio to it.

Yes, or well - depends . . .

Motu makes tools and not toys, so naturally they use AVB networking to keep the latency down.
So it's a YES, IF your switch and computer / NAS are all AVB compatible.

FYI AFAIK all apple computers with thunderbolt already supports AVB.

HooStat

Yes, or well - depends . . .

Motu makes tools and not toys, so naturally they use AVB networking to keep the latency down.
So it's a YES, IF your switch and computer / NAS are all AVB compatible.

FYI AFAIK all apple computers with thunderbolt already supports AVB.
Thank you. So everything needs to be able to "see" each other through an AVB switch. In theory, I could add the Motu AVB switch to my central wiring location, connect my audio room ethernet cabling to the switch, and connect my WIFI access point to the switch. Then the Motu 8D, my Mac computer, and my iPad can see the internet and each other directly through the switch. Makes complete sense to me. It is a shame that it adds $350 to the cost. At that price, I have to start considering other options. But I like the AVB idea and it may be worth it.

Top Bottom