• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Suggestion on adding Interface to Schiit Magni/Modi stack

kyxap

Hey all,

I know there similar thread and seems like selling my magni/modi and just buy MOTU M2 will be good option for me.
But I want to double check if there something better or maybe some alternatives and also have couple questions.

The main issue:
too many boxes on table and too many usb devices in my pc which make me anxious and sometime having random enable/disabling issue if I switch between my pc (I have two)

Setup:
Schiit Magni/Modi stack
Philips X2HR (and not going to upgrade, maybe DT 770 PRO 250 but seems like low Ohm will work too)
XLR Mic: PreSonus PD-70 which requires Phantom power and PreSonus AudioBox GO was not able to power it up (or its just broken I got it used)

So my questions are:
1) Is there something better than MOTU M2 for same budget?
2) Will MOTU M2 power my mic? I read that USB interface having issue with powering big mics
3) Could I use L/R outputs on my magni to connect to the interface L/R inputs. Will this lower the quality of the signal, does it make sense?

Thank you in advance! Cheers!

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Soundmagic HP151 closed headphones, like an improved DT770.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The main issue:
too many boxes on table and too many usb devices in my pc which make me anxious and sometime having random enable/disabling issue if I switch between my pc (I have two)
Two? Let me guess: The gaming rig is a noisy power hog or something along those lines?
XLR Mic: PreSonus PD-70 which requires Phantom power and PreSonus AudioBox GO was not able to power it up (or its just broken I got it used)
Phantom power? You sure? AFAICS that's a plain ol' dynamic mic, entirely passive. Should measure about 350 ohms between XLR pins 2 and 3. If the multimeter just says OL that might be your issue... unfortunately I haven't found a teardown of this fairly new mic, if I had to bet I wouldn't assume anything worse than a wire having come off the XLR connector due to bad soldering.
It certainly is one of the better headphone drivers out there, arguably beaten only by the Audient iD4/14 MkII. In some respects it is a half-step above its class, like in sporting an input PGA rather than the customary analog gain dial (i.e. you can control gain by software).
2) Will MOTU M2 power my mic? I read that USB interface having issue with powering big mics
See above. Plus, I can't think of a single currently available USB audio interface with an XLR mic input but without a proper P48V supply. There's a few budget mixers where you have to contend yourself with 15 V phantom power (e.g. Behringer Xenyx 502 and 302 USB, IIRC).
3) Could I use L/R outputs on my magni to connect to the interface L/R inputs. Will this lower the quality of the signal, does it make sense?
The Modi would basically be redundant, but you could use the Magni connected to the M2's headphone output for enhanced output capability. (Which Magni exactly is it?) Mind you, the X2HR should go plenty loud even "barefoot"... the M2 should be good for about 20 mW into 30 ohms, and the cans are rated 100 dB SPL / 1 mW... so that's 113-ish dB SPL peak.

OP
K

kyxap

Two? Let me guess: The gaming rig is a noisy power hog or something along those lines?
kinda power hog and work laptop my table is just too small for all my stuff
Phantom power? You sure? AFAICS that's a plain ol' dynamic mic, entirely passive. Should measure about 350 ohms between XLR pins 2 and 3. If the multimeter just says OL that might be your issue... unfortunately I haven't found a teardown of this fairly new mic, if I had to bet I wouldn't assume anything worse than a wire having come off the XLR connector due to bad soldering.
when I push 48v button on audiobox go (aka Phantom power) it does not effect mic. but I still getting some low signal on the max gain only. Does it mean this mic is passive? I don't have multimeter to measure it.

UPD: seems like you are correct Pd70 is dynamic and does not need phantom power.

after some research I've found that Focusrite Scarlett and my Presonus Go gives around 50db Mic gain and M2 gives 120db which seems another + for me.
It certainly is one of the better headphone drivers out there, arguably beaten only by the Audient iD4/14 MkII. In some respects it is a half-step above its class, like in sporting an input PGA rather than the customary analog gain dial (i.e. you can control gain by software).
thanks! MOTU looks better to me but Audient has XLR input on the back panel which is better for cable management in my case.
The Modi would basically be redundant, but you could use the Magni connected to the M2's headphone output for enhanced output capability. (Which Magni exactly is it?) Mind you, the X2HR should go plenty loud even "barefoot"... the M2 should be good for about 20 mW into 30 ohms, and the cans are rated 100 dB SPL / 1 mW... so that's 113-ish dB SPL peak.
I have Schiit Magni Heresy, On Motu I see l/r monitors only seems like its outputs not inputs?

Soundmagic HP151 closed headphones, like an improved DT770.
thanks I will take a look, but currently im not looking for headphones update

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I know there similar thread and seems like selling my magni/modi and just buy MOTU M2 will be good option for me.
But I want to double check if there something better or maybe some alternatives and also have couple questions.
The main issue:
Setup:
Schiit Magni/Modi stack
Philips X2HR (and not going to upgrade, maybe DT 770 PRO 250 but seems like low Ohm will work too)
So my questions are:
I would suggest to keep using the Modi/Magni for headphones and just get something to plug the mic into.

OP
K

kyxap

I would suggest to keep using the Modi/Magni for headphones and just get something to plug the mic into.
I have presound audiobox go - but as I've mentioned before it seems like it has too low gain and too much noise on max of the gain.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
when I push 48v button on audiobox go (aka Phantom power) it does not effect mic. but I still getting some low signal on the max gain only. Does it mean this mic is passive? I don't have multimeter to measure it.
A basic multimeter isn't terribly expensive (think $20-30 US for something fairly decent) and pretty handy to have around. It would be the quickest and easiest way to check both the microphone and the XLR cable by far. Then you'd know where the problem lies and could focus on the component in question (mic, cable or audio interface). I take it you don't have a local music rental store (where you could pick up another mic - literally any other vocal mic like a Shure SM58, PGA48 or Behringer XM8500 would do fine) or electronics repair place (who could check your mic and cable in no time, and possibly fix the issue as well)?

Right now I wouldn't place any bets on who might be the culprit, although experience says it's rarely the audio interface. I'm most suspicious of the mic at this point, although there certainly are plenty of legitimate reasons to be selling a virtually brand-new mic, too (didn't like its sound, podcast project didn't pan out after all, no more time for it as work picked back up after the pandemic, ...), and bad QC can literally strike anywhere.
after some research I've found that Focusrite Scarlett and my Presonus Go gives around 50db Mic gain and M2 gives 120db which seems another + for me.
You must have misinterpreted something there, the M2 most definitely does not have 120 dB of mic gain. According to @Julian Krause, system gain for the M2 is a mere 5 dB higher than for the Audiobox GO. Their effective mic input noise levels should also be virtually identical (assuming things are working properly and preamp gain is set sufficiently high, of course).
I have Schiit Magni Heresy, On Motu I see l/r monitors only seems like its outputs not inputs?
MONITOR always is your main (speaker) output, typically used with active studio monitors.

The Magni Heresy is a great little amp. Use it as an "afterburner" connected to the Audiobox headphone output with an appropriate cable, and you should be able to drive a very wide variety of headphones. Although it looks to be decent driving 32 ohm cans to begin with, as long as they're not impedance-critical.

nealwclp

If you're using windows then don't buy motu M2. There drivers just don't work on it. I tried various methods to solve the problem but still have many issues. Never had any issues with focusrite. It does sound better but not worth the pain. Try new gen focusrite or presonus.

I was thinking of buying a dac amp stack that u have. Is it not good?

OP
K

kyxap

If you're using windows then don't buy motu M2. There drivers just don't work on it. I tried various methods to solve the problem but still have many issues. Never had any issues with focusrite. It does sound better but not worth the pain. Try new gen focusrite or presonus.

I was thinking of buying a dac amp stack that u have. Is it not good?
They sound ok, I’m not the hifi expert so nothing to complain. But I also tested toping l30 stack and that I like better - display and better volume knob also available in black color

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a bit more than the M2, but I just picked up the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4, and it is clean and loud enough that I am selling my Magnius.

Top Bottom