• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Placement help in restricted room? (new speakers?)

mlid49

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty restricted in my placement options atm. (excuse the terrible diagram) I'm unable place the speakers in the bottom half of the room, (it's there for reference only). I was suggested that the right side of the 190" wall would be my best bet (speakers will be firing towards the long end of the room). Speakers are rear-ported with rear tweeters.

The problem is that I've been experiencing channel imbalance in this room (the sound definitely shifts right) I'm wondering if this is an issue with placing one speaker alongside a wall (*walkout window), with no wall of any sort besides the other?

So I've been wondering if there's something I could get that eliminates some potential room factors? (Active speakers? DSP?)

I also have some questions regarding my room itself,

1. Should I look towards covering the mirrors at the back with a blanket or something? (was told it won't be an issue with how faraway they are)

2. What should I do about the *walkout window? I’m told the curtains I have now won’t do much to alleviate its effects. Thicker curtain?

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_20171223_024718.jpg
    IMG_20171223_024718.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20171223_231736.jpg
    IMG_20171223_231736.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 160
  • room_20171223230125764.jpg
    room_20171223230125764.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 156
  • Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
    Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:
OP
M

mlid49

Bump. I was wondering how I should go about accounting for room dimension? (In cubic)

Would accounting for the “l” and “_” parts of the room then adding them be correct?

3.8m (150”) x 3.5m (140”) x 2.2m (86” [ceiling height]) + 4.8m (190”) x 3.5m (140”) x 2.2m (86”) = 66m3?

I rounded down, and sorry for switching between metric/imperial. Though, does knowing this measurement really mean anything considering the odd shape/limited placement for my speakers?

(Would still appreciate any help for my original questions as well if anyones willing)

Thanks.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Would still appreciate any help for my original questions as well if anyones willing

Sorry, looked before, figured someone else would give it a shot.

Room symmetry is better, you don't have much chance of it.

Either deaden a sidewall or try erecting a reflector on the side without.

Maybe just be happy with casual listening till a better place comes along.

I might move the speakers for a nearfield setup if I wanted to just immerse in a soundfield, move them back to wherever afterwards.

---

As for the image shifting to one side, pull the speaker that sounds farther away closer to you an inch or two at a time. That may help. It will adjust the timing of the wave arrival.

Last edited:
OP
M

mlid49

Sorry, looked before, figured someone else would give it a shot.

Room symmetry is better, you don't have much chance of it.

Either deaden a sidewall or try erecting a reflector on the side without.

Maybe just be happy with casual listening till a better place comes along.

I might move the speakers for a nearfield setup if I wanted to just immerse in a soundfield, move them back to wherever afterwards.

---

As for the image shifting to one side, pull the speaker that sounds farther away closer to you an inch or two at a time. That may help. It will adjust the timing of the wave arrival.

Thanks for the reply.

Are you suggesting absorption on the sidewall (window) close to the speaker? Would that solve the imaging issues? Also, I could move the speakers in a bit so that sidewall becomes less of an issue, but that would move my listening spot right beside that little 45” wall, no go?

Memoryerror

Forum Donor
Can you swap the speakers/listening area with either the gym equipment or the piano?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
You are in the best position to experiment, since you're there.

I've had a sidewall/no wall condition before, but it didn't present a noticeable problem, my speakers being dipoles.

OP
M

mlid49

Can you swap the speakers/listening area with either the gym equipment or the piano?

No, at least not at the moment. I’ve been curious as to whether or not that‘d be worth it, but the mirror wall is pretty much the same length as the current front wall I’m placing it at, just without the sidewall problem/first reflection wall being closer to me. 150” wall limits rear wall distance if I ever switched speakers. Of course, please correct me if I’m wrong in my assumptions.

Last edited:
OP
M

mlid49

Bump. I was wondering how I should go about accounting for room dimension (for speakers that may demand it)? (In cubic)

Would accounting for the “l” and “_” parts of the room then adding them be correct?

3.8m (150”) x 3.5m (140”) x 2.2m (86” [ceiling height]) + 4.8m (190”) x 3.5m (140”) x 2.2m (86”) = 66m3?

I rounded down, and sorry for switching between metric/imperial. Though, does knowing this measurement really mean anything considering the odd shape/limited placement for my speakers?

Thanks.

Still wondering about this, also curious if I could somehow capitalize on my current speaker’s rear tweeters?

Top Bottom