• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD Wireless USB DAC 2 Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 58 29.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 133 67.5%

• Total voters

itz_all_about_the_music

BTW owner tells me you can find these for $100 on ebay!
If true (none on eBay five minutes ago), what does that say about NAD's stated MSRP? Hyper inflated?

respice finem

Major Contributor
Connectors are way up there in BOM cost, along with an extra usb receiver chip, some signal switching mux. Really after the chassis and Bare PCB, they are the most expensive components you'll find in a product.
I'd rather pay 20-30$ more and have a "one fits all" device, but maybe it's just me.

Steve Rogers

If i have understood this right it opens all sorts of streaming and dsp possibilities? Can i for example install deezer or Amazon app to my pc and equalizer APO and then stream an equalized signal?

PeteL

Major Contributor
I'd rather pay 20-30$ more and have a "one fits all" device, but maybe it's just me.
Typically, for a compagny like NAD that don't do direct sales but have to do retails. Taking into accounts the dealers and distributors margins worldwide and shipping costs that are of the roof at the moment. (the end dealer may not charge you shipping but NAD still has to get them from China or wherever they are produced and send them to distributors. Marketing, development fix cost, tooling cost assembly cost, etc, you should expect the full BOM cost to be no more than one fifth of the end retail cost to be viable, more like one sixth in most case to be on the safe side. That would make about 40 bucks for all parts including the chassis, probably less. You are very optimistic in thinking that adding all that would only increase the price to you of 20-30 bucks. You can bet that on something like this they where very thorough in their cost cutting optimization, especially if there is room for promotions like Amir mentions on Amazon. Really it's a whole different product that you are asking, not just the parts, there is more development, the product would be larger so more shipping, more Chassis and PCB cost. Remember, if you ask all of that for 30$ they would have to get all that for 5$.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Typically, for a compagny like NAD that don't do direct sales but have to do retails. Taking into accounts the dealers and distributors margins worldwide and shipping costs that are of the roof at the moment. (the end dealer may not charge you shipping but NAD still has to get them from China or wherever they are produced and send them to distributors. Marketing, development fix cost, tooling cost assembly cost, etc, you should expect the full BOM cost to be no more than one fifth of the end retail cost to be viable, more like one sixth in most case to be on the safe side. That would make about 40 bucks for all parts including the chassis, probably less. You are very optimistic in thinking that adding all that would only increase the price to you of 20-30 bucks. You can bet that on something like this they where very thorough in their cost cutting optimization, especially if there is room for promotions like Amir mentions on Amazon. Really it's a whole different product that you are asking, not just the parts, there is more development, the product would be larger so more shipping, more Chassis and PCB cost. Remember, if you ask all of that for 30$ they would have to get all that for 5$.

Right. Ok.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Right. Ok.
Enlighten me on the meaning of your post? I sense some cynicism but I think you are usually more versed than that. I have been a manufacturer in the past, and I do work for one now. Of wider reach than NAD. One that I won't disclose because I don't speak here on their behalf, it's not my role but please share your toughts.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Yes these are hard times for manufacturers. And, increasingly, for consumers. I'm hoping my stuff will last a few years, until I need something new.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Regular price is $269 but still very good wireless device even at the regular price.

Dyabolikal

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the review Amir. I expect this product will suddenly go up in price anytime now :p

testp

if no good DAC yet.. this is a steal, add some homemade PEQ and send it forward to integrated or something..

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

PeteL

Major Contributor
It appears it's out of stock now.
Strange, a quick check on my end I was able to put one in the shopping cart and it says in stock. Maybe they don't want orders from Nashville. Not sure.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm using a VPN.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Strange, a quick check on my end I was able to put one in the shopping cart and it says in stock. Maybe they don't want orders from Nashville. Not sure.
They think I'm from Montreal.

PeteL

Major Contributor
They think I'm from Montreal.
OK, I'm in Montreal, litterally 30 sec ago, maybe it blocks after you enter the card? I didn't wanted to purchase, was just checking.
1653927725352.png

Top Bottom