• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Carina BS243.4 Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 27.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 156 60.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 18 7.0%

• Total voters

Tangband

Major Contributor
I cant see a reason why one should buy those speakers .
There are better alternatives.
75B3A773-41CC-49DA-B332-FC017F857F90.png
7A9E0282-3C91-4C0A-9BA6-23D911501F4C.png

BCA3849E-B8AB-4C51-8465-8C34C041F607.png
5B4034D4-90B8-4090-9130-9DD26648D05D.jpeg

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 209384

The on-axis response looks pretty good until we land in that ditch at 2.8 kHz. In a video I watched, Andrew talked about the challenge of the AMT tweeter not being able to reach as low as dome tweeter. I thought he had solved that problem but seeing this hole, it seems that was not.

I can't quite tell where the hole is from near-field measurements due to in ability to precisely match the driver responses:
View attachment 209385

Conclusions
The Carina BS243.4 comes close to a well executed speaker. But for whatever reason, decision was made to leave a response hole in rather critical region. Is this an attempt at "BBC dip" to please people believing in that? Or an oversight? The degradation is not large but it is a miss regardless. Fortunately it is easily corrected. Once there you are presented with a wide dispersion speaker with very nice sound and spatial qualities which I enjoyed.
Thank you for the test.

The low frequency driver has pretty high Q, 6dB+ null around crossover point, which is clearly the issue observed from the tests. BBC dip is a very wide dip. The low frequency driver's cone is breaking around 3kHz and hence it is not suitable for a 2-way speaker crossing over above 1.5kHz and with a fast slope. The issue is not caused by the tweeter.

I personally cannot see this nowhere near as a well executed speaker. 101 in speaker design says chose drive units to suit the job. There is simply no reason other than cost to utilise a driver that has such a large dip at the crossover frequency. However, this is not a cheap speaker: it is $2000 a pair!

GiBo61

GiBo61

Thank you for the test.

The low frequency driver has pretty high Q, 6dB+ null around crossover point, which is clearly the issue observed from the tests. BBC dip is a very wide dip. The low frequency driver's cone is breaking around 3kHz and hence it is not suitable for a 2-way speaker crossing over above 1.5kHz and with a fast slope. The issue is not caused by the tweeter.

I personally cannot see this nowhere near as a well executed speaker. 101 in speaker design says chose drive units to suit the job. There is simply no reason other than cost to utilise a driver that has such a large dip at the crossover frequency. However, this is not a cheap speaker: it is $2000 a pair!
In Europe they are a little bit less than 1000 Euro/pair

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In Europe they are a little bit less than 1000 Euro/pair
I was fooled by @amirm's price figure I assumed a single unit is $999 as he said "It is on kind loan from a member and sells for US $999." It being a single unit.

In the UK a pair of these speakers sell for £999, the same as a KEF LS50 Meta. Which one should I buy, the one with a deep hole in the frequency response or the one with is flat and wide as a pancake? :)

beagleman

Major Contributor
The dip is right at the crossover. This speaker appears to use pretty high-order filters. Either the woofer lowpass is slightly too low, or the tweeter highpass is slightly too high, or some combination thereof. The response of the two drivers doesn't quite overlap enough on-axis. It could even be a parts-tolerance issue in the crossover, or it could be the best they could do with reasonable tolerance (price) parts.

I think they were $1199 when they first came out. Then the might have been raised to $1499, but I'm not sure. Now they are listed at $999/pair on a couple of sites.
Or MOST likely could be intentional.

Many so called "Issues" are there for a reason.
Not cause they did not realize, or just AJ messed up.

Again, only asking him "Why" would reveal the reason.
My guess, it alleviated "other issues" that would result by filling in the gap.
Usually not an oversight, or bad parts etc.....

Sometimes, a small imperfection in one area, is preferred to a different imperfection some other area.....
All speakers are compromises.

Last edited:

GiBo61

I was fooled by @amirm's price figure I assumed a single unit is $999 as he said "It is on kind loan from a member and sells for US $999." It being a single unit.

In the UK a pair of these speakers sell for £999, the same as a KEF LS50 Meta. Which one should I buy, the one with a deep hole in the frequency response or the one with is flat and wide as a pancake? :)
You should buy the ones that you like more when you compare their sound in a store. I highly believe in accurate measurements of hifi devices but when it comes to speakers it's also extremely important how they actually sound (even better if you can test them n your listening room at home).

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Either the woofer lowpass is slightly too low, or the tweeter highpass is slightly too high, or some combination thereof. The response of the two drivers doesn't quite overlap enough on-axis. It could even be a parts-tolerance issue in the crossover, or it could be the best they could do with reasonable tolerance (price) parts.
I disagree. Look at the low-frequency driver response by itself, no summing. Do you know a LP filter that can generate such a dip?

index.php

The dip is time dependant. If it had been electrical the waterfall would be the same at all times, but when the energy is reduced the dip is much less severe. The clear behaviour of a cone breaking up.

index.php

Last edited:

beagleman

Major Contributor

I would guess that "Deep hole" would barely be noticeable in actual use.
Small dips are not heard very easily and are far preferred to a small peak

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

MrOtto

Is this a rare recommended speaker with a varation of ribbon tweeter, AMT in this case?

beagleman

Major Contributor
@amirm noticed it pretty clearly.
I am not sure though, if he noticed it at first, or after seeing the measurement?

Not saying he did NOT notice it, but was it listened to first or measured first.
I notice a lot of things, when I know what to look for, when I measure stuff.

But without knowing there was a small dip there, many times, I have no idea there is one, was what I meant.,

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But without knowing there was a small dip there, many times, I have no idea there is one, was what I meant.,
So you are saying ignorance is bliss? :)

wwenze

Major Contributor
Funny how spinorama is supposed to help answer certain design decisions while going up the price points by doing even more measurements

yet now it just gives even more questions.

Not the first time nor the last time a manufacturer has at a higher price point chosen to use a non-dome tweeter instead of a dome + waveguide even when the same manufacturer has totally fine speakers at a lower price point with dome.

Then again, I used to be a non-evidence-driven idiot in the past so the me back then would be the target audience.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i think that error at 2-3.5 k hz is actually more like 2.5- 3.5 k hz.. so in effect that should make it even easier to eq.. amt tweeters really are pretty clean playing ime as well.. at the current price(under $1000 US) they are probably a very decent choice...

OWC

The dip is right at the crossover. This speaker appears to use pretty high-order filters. Either the woofer lowpass is slightly too low, or the tweeter highpass is slightly too high, or some combination thereof. The response of the two drivers doesn't quite overlap enough on-axis. It could even be a parts-tolerance issue in the crossover, or it could be the best they could do with reasonable tolerance (price) parts.

I think they were $1199 when they first came out. Then the might have been raised to $1499, but I'm not sure. Now they are listed at $999/pair on a couple of sites.
A crossover misalignment wouldn't show of as such a heavy peak in the distortion graph.

@amirm Can you also provide Burst Decay Envelope graphs?
They are a lot more useful compared to Waterfall diagrams, especially when it comes down to certain resonances.
Also to be able to give some answers to what we are seeing, just a simple disassembly of the speakers would often already gives some answers or at least hints.
It's not much more than just 8 simple screws in this case.

Top Bottom