• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Music Hi-Res on Android - playing to Chromecast Audio

Music1969

Major Contributor
So Apple Music on Android looks nice and Hi-Res is working well.

Qobuz on Android can 'cast' up to 24/96k reliably to my Chromecast Audio - cool.

Apple Music casting works fine to my Chromecast also. So Apple have allowed Chromecasting - cool.

But you would also assume we should be able to 'cast' up to 24/96 to a Chromecast Audio device - but nope.

Apple have clearly blocked this.

The only reason I can think of is Apple would be really embarrassed if the only way to cast 24/96 from Apple Music to a streamer is from an Android device... LOL... since Airplay doesn't yet support 24/96 wirelessly still.

There is no other technical reason, if a tiny company Qobuz supports 24/96 casting and Apple have already allowed Chromecasting.

It's not like Apple flat out blocked Chromecasting , it's just they've limited it.

With Apple Music casting 24/96k album my DAC shows 44.1k but I'm not sure if it's 256k AAC or lossless CD quality. I would need to see bitrate.

OP
M

Music1969

Major Contributor
There is no other technical reason, if a tiny company Qobuz supports 24/96 casting and Apple have already allowed Chromecasting.
Actually one technical reason I've now found is Chromecast doesn't support ALAC, which is what Apple Music streams at.

So it's probably pulling AAC.

Top Bottom