• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 434 76.0%

• Total voters

deafenears

Forum Donor

Attachments

• PXL_20220525_231829277.jpg
    PXL_20220525_231829277.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 219

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
interesting... i can get past the lights and the fiddly dial, but if it does not work well as a "close enough" state of the art USB DAC it is of no interest to me. Are you underwhelmed by the sound?
He has the digital version and didn't use it as a DAC.
I have the RCA output version and use it as a USB DAC and it makes no difference to me compared to a Topping E30 or Yamaha A-S801.

As for up/down sampling being audible ... i have doubts.
I can tell Moode to send whatever i think is best, in this case 24bit/96kHz, and i can choose different scaling precision algorithms (that use up different amounts of CPU). None of them made a difference to me either.

Tin ears, right?

as labs

He has the digital version and didn't use it as a DAC.
I have the RCA output version and use it as a USB DAC and it makes no difference to me compared to a Topping E30 or Yamaha A-S801.

As for up/down sampling being audible ... i have doubts.
I can tell Moode to send whatever i think is best, in this case 24bit/96kHz, and i can choose different scaling precision algorithms (that use up different amounts of CPU). None of them made a difference to me either.

Tin ears, right?
what does tin ears mean - like opposite of golden?

would you agree the DAC quality compares roughly to mid range consumer DAC's? seems to me this is what you are saying.

does anyone have experience or comparison with mid-range pro DSP units like models from harman/BSS, xilica, symetrix, dbx?

i have a minidsp 2x4HD - does anyone have direct comparison with the HD and the flex?
i wish they allowed returns... i guess i'm being cheap. i have unfortunately developed expensive taste from work tuning studio systems. it's like working at a fancy wine bar and then going home to two-buck chuck...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

would you agree the DAC quality compares roughly to mid range consumer DAC's? seems to me this is what you are saying.

does anyone have experience or comparison with mid-range pro DSP units like models from harman/BSS, xilica, symetrix, dbx?

i have a minidsp 2x4HD - does anyone have direct comparison with the HD and the flex?
i wish they allowed returns... i guess i'm being cheap. i have unfortunately developed expensive taste from work tuning studio systems. it's like working at a fancy wine bar and then going home to two-buck chuck...
The reviews are here:

and here:

Unfortunately a long time apart, and the measurement process has changed. However the flex is around 20dB better on both noise and distortion. That is significant.

The Flex ranks quite highly on Sinad compared to the best DACs, as you can see in the chart in the review - more than halfway along the blue section. You won't hear the difference between the flex and those at the top of the chart. Noise and distortion are already below the level of audibility.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes

Yes

I have both. The Flex is basically a 2x4HD in DSP functionality, but measures better. Both are measured by Amir somewhere on this site, you can compare them directly.

If you ask me if you should upgrade, the answer is no, likely your gains are better by getting better speakers and room treatment instead of wasting money on DACs and DSPs. Best to start a thread for it, describe what you have, what you think you should do and ask what others think.

MCH

Major Contributor
The Flex ranks quite highly on Sinad compared to the best DACs, as you can see in the chart in the review - more than halfway along the blue section. You won't hear the difference between the flex and those at the top of the chart. Noise and distortion are already below the level of audibility.
Tony, what is yout take on the imd of the flex when talking about low sinad and comparing to the sota dacs?
After almost 1000 posts this is yet to be discussed, or is it that completely irrelevant? If i look at the graph, imd starts picking up quite early

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tony, what is yout take on the imd of the flex when talking about low sinad and comparing to the sota dacs?
After almost 1000 posts this is yet to be discussed, or is it that completely irrelevant? If i look at the graph, imd starts picking up quite early
Yes - IMD is its weakest point.

Even on the multitone test though, it is still down at -90+dB (0.003%), and that is with high frequency tones at a *very* much higher level than you get in music. I'm not worried about it being audible.

An exercise for the reader is to see where a ranking of IMD would put it on a chart compared with other DACs :cool:

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Yes - IMD is its weakest point.

Even on the multitone test though, it is still down at -90+dB (0.003%), and that is with high frequency tones at a *very* much higher level than you get in music. I'm not worried about it being audible.

An exercise for the reader is to see where a ranking of IMD would put it on a chart compared with other DACs :cool:
I trust you, just calls my attention that doesn't seem to be able to clear even the 16bits mark of "clean signal under any circumstances".

Regarding the ranking.... i am afraid it would do pretty bad.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I trust you, just calls my attention that doesn't seem to be able to clear even the 16bits mark of "clean signal under any circumstances".
Perfect for MQA then. :cool:

But just so we know what we are talking about, this, in my humble opinion, is good enough. Real music will never look as bad like this synthetic benchmark:
1653637338409.png

MCH

Major Contributor
Well, i was looking at the imd graph, just above the multitone, that seems to indicate a floor of ca 90db starting at -20db signal (i tend to think that you get the best of your dac with low attenuation, but -20db seem quite reachable even if you use the flex as preamp). I don't really understand how this translates to real life: what are the chances we have more that one frequency reaching high levels and what are the consequences if that happens, that's why i was asking.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, i was looking at the imd graph, just above the multitone, that seems to indicate a floor of ca 90db starting at -20db signal (i tend to think that you get the best of your dac with low attenuation, but -20db seem quite reachable even if you use the flex as preamp). I don't really understand how this translates to real life: what are the chances we have more that one frequency reaching high levels and what are the consequences if that happens, that's why i was asking.
I think it means distortion is at least 90dB from the signal at all times.

If your background noise is 45dB (i have more because city environment), you would need to play music at more than 135dB to have it in the signal. At which time your speakers would melt and your inner ears would start bleeding of course. Not to mention that you will not hear any distortion from your source if you play signal at 135dB+.

That is how i interpret it.

MCH

Major Contributor
Yes, sure, fully agree, 90 db is more than plenty, no doubt about it, and this brings us to the eternal discussion of how much is enough and all that.... i just feel in this particular case imd might be worth to mention when comparing the flex with other sota dacs. It might be one of this cases that a single 1kHz tone does not tell all the story.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, sure, fully agree, 90 db is more than plenty, no doubt about it, and this brings us to the eternal discussion of how much is enough and all that.... i just feel in this particular case imd might be worth to mention when comparing the flex with other sota dacs. It might be one of this cases that a single 1kHz tone does not tell all the story.
It is as BatEar said regardless if 1kHZ, IMD or any other test signal if SignalSPL minus distortion/noise/imd is below room noise or even to be more conservative below 0dBSPL you don’t hear it.

see also here

or here

or if still in doubt, ABX test for yourself. There are some software tools in this forum. It is mainly sobering in terms what you thought you can hear and what you actually do in ABX.

usersky

Forum Donor
Lovely little device but there is something that really needs to be addressed with a firmware update: acceleration for the volume. It really seems out of control.

as labs

I think it means distortion is at least 90dB from the signal at all times.

If your background noise is 45dB (i have more because city environment), you would need to play music at more than 135dB to have it in the signal. At which time your speakers would melt and your inner ears would start bleeding of course. Not to mention that you will not hear any distortion from your source if you play signal at 135dB+.

That is how i interpret it.

A bit of a tangent here, but not exactly. impulsive sounds like music are audible at 10dB+ below the ambient sound level. I'm no expert for audibility in IMD, so i won't comment there.

also background sound level in most homes is level dependent - far higher at low frequencies than high, which is where i'd expect we would detect distortion issues. I work in acoustics and a quiet urban residence is typically 30 dBA, with something like 50-60 dB in 63 hz octave band and sometimes 10-20 dB in 1k-4kHz.

ok, all finished derailing the conversation:)

as labs

Perfect for MQA then. :cool:

But just so we know what we are talking about, this, in my humble opinion, is good enough. Real music will never look as bad like this synthetic benchmark:
View attachment 209203
I guess i don't understand what this result means in the real world. this does look quite bad compared to other usb DAC's.
From what I can ascertain from the measurement results for the flex:
  1. 1kHz tone yields good results when compared with other DACs.
  2. Multitone does not rank as well (thanks for posting the plot)
  3. IMD is frequency dependent (i think, right?)

which frequencies are offending? i suspect high frequencies, but i have no idea.

tjcinnamon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If I have 2 of these could I run Dirac on my LCR-Sub and have them all correlate? Or does Dirac only do one device at a time where I’d need a 4 input Flex

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Regarding the ranking.... i am afraid it would do pretty bad.
Armin’’s multitone test specifically states it does have 16 bits Of distortion free range.

Sluraad

If I have 2 of these could I run Dirac on my LCR-Sub and have them all correlate? Or does Dirac only do one device at a time where I’d need a 4 input Flex
You would be calibrating them separately but it is possible. You could do some work in REW afterwards to get the levels balanced.

Top Bottom