• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier

pogo

Major Contributor
How could I update without Bluso Wi-Fi module (likely with Ethernet cable).
This will be similar to a C368/C388: Link
This procedure for the C399 will also be available for download in italian language in the future;)
At the moment, there seems to be no official update for the main device, which is installed via USB.

Last edited:

Alexx

@panther:
Thank you very much, interesting that the on / off click disappeared after updating it.

Have you noticed if the audio quality has remained the same? (I absolutely believe so because the update shouldn't affect the audio quality but only the exact menu and management?).

What other news have you found?

@pogo:
Thank you very much for the link, as I have time I do it, who knows even my go away noise on / of etc.
Thanks you are very kind.

pogo

Major Contributor
Thank you very much for the link, as I have time I do it, who knows even my go away noise on / of etc.
But as already mentioned, there seems to be no downloadable official update for the main device at the moment.

panther

@panther:
Thank you very much, interesting that the on / off click disappeared after updating it.

Have you noticed if the audio quality has remained the same? (I absolutely believe so because the update shouldn't affect the audio quality but only the exact menu and management?).

What other news have you found?

@pogo:
Thanks you are very kind.
I've enjoyed the audio from the start. My issue with it not working through HDMI was resolved with the latest patch which is great.

pogo

Major Contributor
What do you mean by latest patch (unofficial update for the main device, BluOS update for the MDC Module, …)?

Alexx

Correct if the Nad site has no firmware, has your update been taken? from the network once you have connected the appliance?

Virtually the same thing that I can connect it with the Eternet cable.

The update on which of the 3 factors is going to intervene?

Today I try to connect mine with an HDMI cable to see if it works (probably based on the manufacturing date, the most recent ones are already working on HDMI).

I'll let you know later

cdkpdx

I recently purchased the 399 with BluOs module. I have Harbeth C7 XD speakers and had been using an earlier version of BlueSound Powernode and I was fascinated to see what if any difference in sound reproduction I'd notice. I come from the school that most well designed solid state amps are equally neutral sounding and I have been very surprised how much more open and solid the music sounds with the 399 vs Powernode. Like really surprised how much better.

I thought the speakers didn't like the room they were in when I started with the powernode as the sound was less open and transparent than I'd heard them sound when auditioning. Thus my looking for an amp with Dirac built in. Yet the sound is so much better to my ear I haven't even gotten around to Dirac. I also wanted to see if I'd notice differences in sound using the two different amps without Dirac running on the 399.

It makes me wonder what is contributing to the improvements in transparency? Does much more power 200W/channel vs 50W/channel make that much of a difference, even at modest listening levels? I'm largely streaming Tidal and question if there are improvements in the 399 vs powernode technology that would make this much of a difference?
I really like the 399 and have been impressed by the added realism I sense from my speakers and would recommend those looking for a streaming integrated with room correction that isn't crazy money to give this consideration.

panther

What do you mean by latest patch (unofficial update for the main device, BluOS update for the MDC Module, …)?
There was a "patch" in the BluOS software which I let install. However my issues were not resolved until I did an upgrade on the C399 itself. There was a notification on the front panel to download an update which I did directly on the C399.

pogo

Major Contributor
There was a notification on the front panel to download an update which I did directly on the C399.
What I don't quite understand is how to get the firmware upgrade for the main device if you don't have the MDC module installed? On the product page no newer version is offered!

pogo

Major Contributor
It makes me wonder what is contributing to the improvements in transparency? Does much more power 200W/channel vs 50W/channel make that much of a difference, even at modest listening levels?
On the one hand the DAC is very transparent, on the other hand this is due to the amp section. If you connect an external DAC via analog bypass, you should hear a difference depending on the quality.

panther

What I don't quite understand is how to get the firmware upgrade for the main device if you don't have the MDC module installed? On the product page no newer version is offered!
Ah I understand. I would maybe contact NAD directly. Maybe they can give you a link to the file directly, or it will remind them to add it to the download page.

pogo

Major Contributor
Maybe a C399 user without installed MDC module should do this :facepalm:

Pira

The c399 is not shipping anywhere in Europe before 15. August.

The price in Norway was increased by 200eur/2000nok to become 22,000 +6000 for mdc2 module

The m10v2 is available today, and for 100euro less than c399+mdc2 module. Strange, right ?

I'm afraid my Kef R5 won't reach full potential with the hypex 252mp in the m10v2, despite me sitting only 2.5 meters from the speakers.

The c658 seems like an outdated product now. I would have bought a V2 of it if it was available.

To wait or not to wait ?
Anyone in the US can help find c399 in stock ?

Jone5

I hate DiracLive and NAD/BluOS for their usability...

1. With DiracLive 2.X.X correction sounded horrible (C399 with earliest firmwares right after release)
2. When DiracLive was update to 3.x.x I could not get the measurement signal to play before NAD rolled out some FW/BluOS updates. The DL correction sounded much better and everything worked well after that.
3. Now nothing has changed since last successful measurement but the microphone does not pick up anything (iOS and window app tested), i.e. the level indicator sits at -80dB, so something has again broken even though the setup is identical.

I tried updating windows DL app to lates 3.3.0 -> 3.3.3 which made no difference. I also tried my second NAD USB dongle + mic but with same results, so mic/dongle has not broken in the meanwhile. I have again no idea what to do, tried plugging dongle in before powering on, also while on, tried completely switching off the amp etc.

Superb feature when it works, but it rarely works. If you manage to make a successful calibration, consider yourself lucky and don't mind buying lottery tickets, since your luck has certainly ran out already.

EDIT: I'm feel extremely stupid, I plugged the dongle multiple times to the service USB instead of the one in BluOS module :facepalm::facepalm:. I have some fairly tight fit and cannot pull out the unit completely without removing cables, so I have the just plug it in "blindly". To my defence the ports are fairly close to each other :D

Last edited:

Pira

I hate DiracLive and NAD/BluOS for their usability...

1. With DiracLive 2.X.X correction sounded horrible (C399 with earliest firmwares right after release)
2. When DiracLive was update to 3.x.x I could not get the measurement signal to play before NAD rolled out some FW/BluOS updates. The DL correction sounded much better and everything worked well after that.
3. Now nothing has changed since last successful measurement but the microphone does not pick up anything (iOS and window app tested), i.e. the level indicator sits at -80dB, so something has again broken even though the setup is identical.

I tried updating windows DL app to lates 3.3.0 -> 3.3.3 which made no difference. I also tried my second NAD USB dongle + mic but with same results, so mic/dongle has not broken in the meanwhile. I have again no idea what to do, tried plugging dongle in before powering on, also while on, tried completely switching off the amp etc.

Superb feature when it works, but it rarely works. If you manage to make a successful calibration, consider yourself lucky and don't mind buying lottery tickets, since your luck has certainly ran out already.

The microphone did not pick up any signal when connected to the PC DIRAC was running on.
After connecting the microphone (using the usb dongle) to the back of my m10v2, everything worked correctly and the signal appeared on screen.

One small bug i experienced was that the "shelves" used to adjust the target behaved weirdly.
( the shelve starts at +4.3 for the bass and -1.8 for the treble, if you load the NAD curve, it does not change and sits under the target curve,
The shelve only takes affect if you click on it). I believe that this did not affect the results.

thomasec

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was looking for info on the NAD C399, and found this thread. I'm currently looking at both the C399, and Marantz 40N. I'd like to simplify my setup and power a pair of KEF LS50 Meta speakers + subwoofer. I will be using them for movies, vinyl, and streaming audio.

It will be difficult for me to audition either in person, but I was wondering if anyone had measurements/opinions on the two. Thank you in advance!

Pira

Blue sound is leagues ahead of HEOS.
Dirac makes significant improvement.

The hypex class D performs very well and is well regarded.

Marantz had better looks and build quality i think.

TK33

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was looking for info on the NAD C399, and found this thread. I'm currently looking at both the C399, and Marantz 40N. I'd like to simplify my setup and power a pair of KEF LS50 Meta speakers + subwoofer. I will be using them for movies, vinyl, and streaming audio.

It will be difficult for me to audition either in person, but I was wondering if anyone had measurements/opinions on the two. Thank you in advance!
I don't have either but since you mention streaming audio, I would (personally) lean toward the NAD with the BluOS module vs. the Marantz, which uses HEOS. I have both HEOS and BluOS devices at home and pretty much just use BluOS (started off with HEOS and now my HEOS devices just use a Node 2i as a source). I found BluOS to work much better and have better compatibility for streaming (Amazon HD and Qobuz for me). On BluOS, you can even create playlists from multiple sources, including your own library.

Alexx

Nad is a very complete machine.

I also got the Rotel 1592 MKII (it is more massive in construction and has the most comfortable front USB port) but for "warmer" sound and connectivity I preferred Nad.

Too bad I bump on the speakers when you turn the amplifier on and off (they say it's normal I also contacted Nad) except this is a very good buy.

wjvs1983

The c399 is not shipping anywhere in Europe before 15. August.

The price in Norway was increased by 200eur/2000nok to become 22,000 +6000 for mdc2 module

The m10v2 is available today, and for 100euro less than c399+mdc2 module. Strange, right ?

I'm afraid my Kef R5 won't reach full potential with the hypex 252mp in the m10v2, despite me sitting only 2.5 meters from the speakers.

The c658 seems like an outdated product now. I would have bought a V2 of it if it was available.

To wait or not to wait ?
Anyone in the US can help find c399 in stock ?
Exactly the questions I am struggling with today.

Top Bottom