• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 47.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.7%

• Total voters

Jpdelaney.tml

I guess I will have to continue my Deezer trial to hear 16 bit FLAC files through the Mini out the optical to my DAC. Sure hope AM comes on line before my trial runs out or its the end of streaming bit perfect from services for me.
At least Deezer show it's playing FLAC files sometimes. AM

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220525-090518.png
    Screenshot_20220525-090518.png
    542.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Screenshot_20220525-001139.png
    Screenshot_20220525-001139.png
    930.2 KB · Views: 119

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The what’s new on their website on when it will be release is not being followed.

Brantome

Major Contributor
The what’s new on their website on when it will be release is not being followed.
As has been explained before, they’re targets, not absolute release dates. Yes, it’s very disappointing that they’re not meeting the targets they’re publicising and that they keep slipping even further, but it is what it is…

Witterings

Before you think I am .... I'm 100% not being rude or "in your face" when I say this but you clearly have no knowledge of software development and it seldom goes to plan / timescale.

I would have liked Amazon HD Ultra weeks ago, the same as everyone else on here would, and whilst the dates haven't been met (as I suspected they wouldn't) you possibly need to step back and question if you think they will within a "reasonable" time frame or not.

If you don't think they will, return your units as "not fIt for purpose", get a refund and go and buy Bluesound Nodes instead .... for me that would be 3 x's £550 = £1650 instead of the £270 I paid for my 3 WiiM's.

I'm on the sidelines a bit myself but the way they've addessed and resolved other issues has given me faith in the company and I'm seriously hopeful they'll resolve it in the not too distant future and nobody else is potentially offering a comparable product at this price point.

You pays your money and makes your choice.... as they say.

Last edited:

Smartplug

Before you think I am .... I'm 100% not being rude or "in your face" when I say this but you clearly have no knowledge of software development and it seldom goes to plan / timescale.

I would have liked Amazon HD Ultra weeks ago, the same as everyone else on here would, and whilst the dates haven't been met (as I suspected they wouldn't) you possibly need to step back and question if you think they will within a "reasonable" time frame or not.

If you don't think they will, return your units as "not fIt for purpose", get a refund and go and buy Bluesound Nodes instead .... for me that would be 3 x's £550 = £1650 instead of the £270 I paid for my 3 WiiM's.

I'm on the sidelines a bit myself but the way they've addessed and resolved other issues has given me faith in the company and I'm seriously hopeful they'll resolve it in the not too distant future and nobody else is potentially offering a comparable product at this price point.

You pays your money and makes your choice.... as they say.
As a consumer, when you publish something on specific date, you deliver or don’t bother posted a target date. That’s how buyers think. Do you see any streaming hardware publish a release date? You could even ask them and you won’t get specific answer aside from answer “soon” or “being develop” I’m a big fan of wiim and I like the updates being provided despite the tiny cost of the product. I will definitely be buying more from them. I’m sure they want to release this update just like anyone else but there’s some kinks that they have to resolve that only them knows what’s going on. Qobuz already have the resolutions from lowest to highest setting that your account support. It’s just matter of time.

fquails

All three of my Wiim devices were updated this morning. This update includes “Bit perfect Apple Play 2”. Does that mean the Wiim will play 44.1/16 (Apple Music Lossless) and 192/24 (Apple Music Hi-Res) when streaming music via Apple TV (latest version) to the Wiim?

Brantome

Major Contributor
All three of my Wiim devices were updated this morning. This update includes “Bit perfect Apple Play 2”. Does that mean the Wiim will play 44.1/16 (Apple Music Lossless) and 192/24 (Apple Music Hi-Res) when streaming music via Apple TV (latest version) to the Wiim?
No - the release mentioned bit perfect Airplay 2 up to 24/48 - airplay doesn’t support hi-res Apple Music.

See the other main WiiM thread where there are a great number of comments on this

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-streamer.31182/post-1197573

Atanasi

Forum Donor
Does that mean the Wiim will play 44.1/16 (Apple Music Lossless) and 192/24 (Apple Music Hi-Res) when streaming music via Apple TV (latest version) to the Wiim?
Lossless doesn't currently work from iPad through Airplay. I have not tried Apple TV.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
The latest WiiM Mini firmware now supports AirPlay lossless up to 16/44.1. WiiM is apparently asking Apple for permission to support up to 24/48 lossless.

RME test files show that the WiiM, via its optical port, is bit-perfect. It should therefore now measure -96dB vs the measured 90.5dB using AirPlay from a proper server such as LMS.

LMS, of course, also supports what is surely the most widely-used digital audio protocol, UPnP. Highly unfortunate that Roon refuses to support it, IMO. The RME test files verify that the WiiM Mini is bit-perfect using UPnP via its optical port up to 24/192.

AirPlay, 16/44.1
4C194A75-ED7E-4D4E-824B-A31EFFE252EE.jpeg

UPnP, 24/192
50198B12-E6FD-4B14-B722-FEB1A2B86CCB.jpeg

telemike

The latest WiiM Mini firmware now supports AirPlay lossless up to 16/44.1. WiiM is apparently asking Apple for permission to support up to 24/48 lossless.

RME test files show that the WiiM, via its optical port, is bit-perfect. It should therefore now measure -96dB vs the measured 90.5dB using AirPlay from a proper server such as LMS.

LMS, of course, also supports what is surely the most widely-used digital audio protocol, UPnP. Highly unfortunate that Roon refuses to support it, IMO. The RME test files verify that the WiiM Mini is bit-perfect using UPnP via its optical port up to 24/192.

AirPlay, 16/44.1
View attachment 209156

UPnP, 24/192
View attachment 209157
Can you test from an iPhone or iPad? Need to know if it’s still 256k AAC

Jpdelaney.tml

Can you test from an iPhone or iPad? Need to know if it’s still 256k AAC
I have two Polk Alexa sound bars and a Mini. Does anyone know what format, bit rates, depth and frequency outputed by the Mini optical out when Alexa commanded to play Deezer over speaker groups with Mini is used?

Brantome

Major Contributor
I have two Polk Alexa sound bars and a Mini. Does anyone know what format, bit rates, depth and frequency outputed by the Mini optical out when Alexa commanded to play Deezer over speaker groups with Mini is used?
I'd suspect Deezer's lossy format as Flac isn't supported for it on Alexa viz. "Note: High fidelity audio (FLAC) streaming is NOT available for Deezer on Amazon Alexa." https://support.deezer.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115005965745-Amazon-Alexa

** Update: I'd expect the best you'd get is 320kbps MP3 https://support.deezer.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115003865685-Deezer-Audio-Quality

Jpdelaney.tml

I'd suspect Deezer's lossy format as Flac isn't supported for it on Alexa viz. "Note: High fidelity audio (FLAC) streaming is NOT available for Deezer on Amazon Alexa." https://support.deezer.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115005965745-Amazon-Alexa

** Update: I'd expect the best you'd get is 320kbps MP3 https://support.deezer.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115003865685-Deezer-Audio-Quality
I suspected as much. Alexa issue/limitation. Not sure what level of my soundbars DAC decode. It's my Mini->DAC connection I was curious about in this scenario. It's a partytime, multi-speaker time, use case so quality not such an issue anyway.:)

ClassicGuy

One issue with streamer setup that uses optical output is that it requires two remotes, one for controlling playback, the other for volume. With Wiim Mini, can I control both playback and volume via the phone?

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
One issue with streamer setup that uses optical output is that it requires two remotes, one for controlling playback, the other for volume. With Wiim Mini, can I control both playback and volume via the phone?
Your choice.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220527-112037.png
    Screenshot_20220527-112037.png
    557.7 KB · Views: 115

Atanasi

Forum Donor
I sent a feature request for mono downmixing. I got a reply that it is difficult to implement and will take a long time.

Music1969

Major Contributor
No - the release mentioned bit perfect Airplay 2 up to 24/48 - airplay doesn’t support hi-res Apple Music.
It did until a week ago.

Yesterday's update is bit perfect to 16/44.1. WiiM confirmed they are now awaiting Apple approval for 24/48k bit perfect.

Brantome

Major Contributor
What did till a week ago? I thought Airplay in general topped out at 24/48, so can’t support apple hires which is their 24/192 offering - it’ll only support their 24/48 lossless tracks.

telemike

It did until a week ago.

Yesterday's update is bit perfect to 16/44.1. WiiM confirmed they are now awaiting Apple approval for 24/48k bit perfect.

What about Airplay from iPhone/iPad to Wiim? Is it still 256k AAC? My DAC says 44.1khz now.

Top Bottom