• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Heco Aurora 1000 (audioholics review)

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Bravo!!

@Dennis Murphy . Is that you behind the crossover?

Man, send that crossover designer Heco over to B&W speakers’ home hi-fi division…

TurtlePaul

I like the idea of using soft dome and paper cones to get a true 3-way with dual 8" woofers with high sensitivity for a reasonable price.

Most of the competitors insisting on higher end driver materials can only give 2.5-way designs with smaller woofers at this price point. Also, it looks like Heco was able to use all air-core inductors, which is nice.

The main trade-off would be that Heco could have sacrificed 2-3 dB sensitivity to get 10 hz lower in the bass extension. However, I see what they were going for, in Europe a lot of people have smaller rooms where they will get +6 dB at 40hz, which would be perfect for these speakers.

Last edited:

mtg90

Those style inductor bobbins are designed to hold steel laminate cores:
1653169087593.jpeg

So unless they removed the cores and used that shape to save space; which I might add is far from an ideal shape for air cores, I suspect the inductors are all steel laminate I-core rather then air core.

Last edited:

TurtlePaul

So unless they removed the cores and used that shape to save space; which I might add is far from an ideal shape for air cores, I suspect the inductors are all steel laminate I-core rather then air core.

Either those inductors don't have cores or Audioholics should correct their review:

"The crossover circuit itself looks adequate for the job and uses a host of air-core inductors, polypropylene and electrolytic capacitors, and resistors"

Hydrav

Audioholics just posted a review with measurements of these HECO floorstanders. Hadn't heard of this brand before, apparently now owned by German Magnat. American VOXX international, which also owns Klipsch and Jamo. The review is quite favorable, relative to the price.

Links to review:

Article: Youtube:

Price is approx €1050 for a pair in europe, $1600 in the US.

image.jpg

image.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg

Screenshot 2022-05-25 at 09-15-37 image (WEBP Image 1000 × 444 pixels).png

Conclusion:
However, when I first powered the speakers up, I thought that the speaker didn’t sound half bad or at least any problems it had were not immediately evident. I was thinking perhaps I would encounter their flaws when I sat down to give them a closer listen. And when I did give them a close listen, nothing leapt out as being wrong or off in any conspicuous way that I could readily identify. I remember thinking, “Are these speakers actually OK or am I losing my hearing?” I enjoyed listening to anything that I threw at them, contrary to the impression I took from some of their design qualities. And then I was stunned when I took the first measurements of them; I thought “these can’t be that good?!” But the measurements backed up what I was hearing - these speakers are legitimately good performers.

I have to admit to making a judgment about a loudspeaker before even hearing it, obviously not a great move for an audio equipment reviewer. In this particular case, I am absolutely delighted to have been shown to be wrong. The HECO Aurora 1000s are terrific speakers, especially when considering their cost. They are not perfect speakers, and as was mentioned, some aspects of their build quality and appearance seem like merely the lowest-cost way of getting that aspect done. The enclosure might benefit from thicker panels or better internal damping. Also, despite their large size and dual 8” bass drivers, they don’t really excel at powerful deep bass; they can produce some deep bass but not like a subwoofer can.

Last edited:

Bleib

Major Contributor
Apart from the drivers I really like how they look

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

AwesomeSauce2015

Seems like a very quick drop off in the low end, especially given the large drivers and cabinet space.
They're probably sealed and optimized for more output above that drop off. Most likely because they are designed with a subwoofer in mind...

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They're probably sealed and optimized for more output above that drop off. Most likely because they are designed with a subwoofer in mind...
In this case they are ported though, probably quite high tuning for more SPL than bass extension.

AURORA-1000-Rueckseite_Frontal-W.jpg

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

Tenfilip

I had the 700 for a few weeks. They are ok for a big room, when you need a party speaker for cheap.

Slayer

Either those inductors don't have cores or Audioholics should correct their review:

"The crossover circuit itself looks adequate for the job and uses a host of air-core inductors, polypropylene and electrolytic capacitors, and resistors"
It would appear the description has changed. It now reads.
" The crossover circuit itself looks adequate for the job and uses a host of steel laminate inductors, polypropylene and electrolytic capacitors, and resistors."

Ukraineguy

Those style inductor bobbins are designed to hold steel laminate cores:
View attachment 208060

Another crossover rebuild ahead.

Top Bottom