• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 33 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 87.7%

• Total voters

Wolven

Sigh. I'm about to give up. The original DAC vastly outperforms 16 bit audio.
And the main reason you'll likely not notice the difference is because your speakers and headphones have a much poorer SINAD number than the DAC.

In any case, this reviewed DAC is cheap, so if you sell the DX3 pro and update to this it likely will not do harm to you financially. Your choice.
Thanks for the advice, you are right on both counts.

Ported

Of course the numbers are 'incredibly good' because the entire top of the audible spectrum is chopped off, along with its harmonics.

Default filter 1 is circa -12dB down @ 20kHz according to your AP plots... Not sure when that became remotely HiFi. Like, not ever. Certainly not in the digital era, or the open reel era, or even the cassette era.

Filter 3 is clearly the one you should be using for tests.

The last D/A converter you reviewed had the best filter response you've ever measured (the Chord) and yet this thing is getting top marks with arguably one of the worst default filters I've ever seen. Go figure. Where is the consistency?

Hardly. The default filter response (you used for testing) is poor and you know it.
I sent a su-9 back for similar reasons.. I am 65 and can hear zilch above 12k . 2 of the filters on the su9 produced a noticeable fall in HF response to me?? It also rendered an intensity of detail in the high mids (2-4k) which did not seem balanced with the rest of the spectrum.
I settled on the adi-2 path which has a similar set of filters to the su9 but none of them show any difference to me (as I would expect).

Also an interesting thing you can try on the adi is turning off all the distortion reducing tricks on the ESS. This pushes it up to near 0.1% . I can't hear any difference here too!

Essentially these 2 dacs measure similar but impimentation to my ears is clearly different.. somehow not picked up in measurement tests (as yet?).

capslock

Now is there an affordable multichannel product (6 channels min) on the market with USB in and similar performance? Since ESS have 8 channel versions of most of their DACs, it should be in the realm of possible. 3-4 stereo DACs would do the job, too.

wwenze

Major Contributor
I sent a su-9 back for similar reasons.. I am 65 and can hear zilch above 12k . 2 of the filters on the su9 produced a noticeable fall in HF response to me?? It also rendered an intensity of detail in the high mids (2-4k) which did not seem balanced with the rest of the spectrum.
I settled on the adi-2 path which has a similar set of filters to the su9 but none of them show any difference to me (as I would expect).

Also an interesting thing you can try on the adi is turning off all the distortion reducing tricks on the ESS. This pushes it up to near 0.1% . I can't hear any difference here too!

Essentially these 2 dacs measure similar but impimentation to my ears is clearly different.. somehow not picked up in measurement tests (as yet?).

It was a good day for science when a woman who could smell parkinson's proved it in front of scientists and lead to advancements towards the disease.

Majority of legends, however, choose to stay legendary instead of offering themselves to help advance science.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Here is the filter for the M4 and the M2. This obviously doesn't make sense.
Disclaimer: my speculations, not necessarily correct.

@bennetng may have earned the title of "resident" ADC expert, I don't know, many of us have specialties and expertise, but in all case we don't reach "obvious" conclusions based on speculations. @amirm is the "resident" measurment expert. I would let him dig into this and comment if there is reasons to believe he measures filters erroneously. Claims like that deserve verifications, if for some reasons the windows resampler is involved in the final results then why some would perform this way and others not, then how would it work. @amirm does know how his analyser behave, I don't see how he could measure window and not the DAC but he is the one that should answer this if there are irregularities and incorrectness.

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
314€? I see a price of 349€. I was in doubt and opted for the Dx3Pro+, smaller, cheaper and even a bit more powerful headphone amp.
Yes, today, but I bought it on 28. March. The DX3Pro+ was no option, because I wanted XLR outputs.

PeteL

Major Contributor
Now is there an affordable multichannel product (6 channels min) on the market with USB in and similar performance? Since ESS have 8 channel versions of most of their DACs, it should be in the realm of possible. 3-4 stereo DACs would do the job, too.
I think for affordability you may have to go to music creation audio interface. 8 Channels DACS are rare but I think there is one or two reviewed in these page. Maybe not SOTA performance but a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 is 8 channels, sounds great and is 499$. Can't beat that.

pickyAudiophile

Does Aoshida Audio have extra toll costs to Sweden? Anyone ordered?
No. aoshida, linsoul, hifi-express, shenzhenaudio, among numerous others import to EU by third parties (which are essentially warehouses) first. - Mostly located in Netherlands, Germany or Belgium. From there they distribute the goods all over EU to end users. ...So you will receive it as EU originating shipment then - customs cleared, tax paid, VAT (moms) paid.

Bleib

Major Contributor
No. aoshida, linsoul, hifi-express, shenzhenaudio, among numerous others import to EU by third parties (which are essentially warehouses) first. - Mostly located in Netherlands, Germany or Belgium. From there they distribute the goods all over EU to end users. ...So you will receive it as EU originating shipment then - customs cleared, tax paid, VAT (moms) paid.
Great, thanks. The DAC is ordered

PyramidElectric

Not my experience with Aoshida. They shipped mine straight from China to the UK via FedEx, and there were no extra charges. Re the coil whine whilst 'off' thing, I saw someone asking re if this was a 230v issue... UK is 230v and my unit has absolutely no coil whine.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It would be pretty strange if SMSL made a product which has coil whine on 230V, but is fine on 120V, considering that China uses 230V.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Mostly right about what you're saying but to take it a litlle extreme I got a snap from the torture that's called 'Virta 1' by Pan Sonic (Katodivaihe is the name of the album).The spikes you see at the upper end is perceived by me as a sharp blow (I'm 50,it's a miracle I still sense it :) ).

View attachment 208281
When does that peak occur?

poxymoron

Appreciate the link. Does anyone else struggle to follow Z Reviews, well, reviews? Ishay okenspay ordway oftenyay oundssay ikelay alphabetyay oupsay ? Yet upon a second listen with Playback Speed @ half speed, well diggety-do, I "hoedoe hoedoo hoodoo" understand, sort of. "Hoe. It's a hoe, OK?" Huh?
I always watch hifi reviews on youtube at 2x speed - even @amirm . I get to watch more of them on my 1+ hour train commute. I enjoy Zeos but he's far easier to listen to at 2x speed.

Veri

Master Contributor
It would be pretty strange if SMSL made a product which has coil whine on 230V, but is fine on 120V, considering that China uses 230V.
Maybe 220/230V transo is just more prone to coil whine in the first place.

Svperstar

Nice. I am still running my Topping D30. Kinda wanna pick this up just for fun.

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here is the filter for the M4 and the M2. This obviously doesn't make sense.

If @amirm doesn't have time to check this, I have both the M2 and UltraLite-mk5 here and can measure their filters (outputting white noise into RME ADI-2).

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I won't get a bluetooth device until it supports some sort of lossless audio.
Bluetooth cannot guarantee lossless audio.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

respice finem

Major Contributor
So it's like video streaming "up to" UHD and such. Not really tempting. Thanks for the warning, I'll keep my headphones wired then.

Top Bottom