• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beautiful DACs

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can even (just barely) make out the brand name top left of the front panel to narrow the search.
Someone that would "just barely" be able to distinguish the brand name would need new glasses ASAP...:p
Screenshot_20220515-142013.png

Joke aside, being unable to Google it is a lot more questioning.

jae

Major Contributor
I would buy this if it measured better:

DSC07371_1-2048x1365.jpg

Goodsound

Msb DAC are the most beautiful ones for my taste. But as far as I know all them have very large amount of intermodulation distortion. Unfortunately, as far as I know, there are no high-quality reliable measurements for them, such as thd on small signals, imd depending on the signal level, etc.

What are the sources for your claim? Do you really think MSB could be selling their gear between $ 15K and 100K and offering bad measurements? They would have been pretty soon out of business if that was true (I guess).

Last edited:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the sources for your claim? Do you really think MSB could be selling their gear between $ 15K and 100K and offering bad measurements? They would have been pretty soon out of business if that was true.
I don't see any performance measurement on their website. Other "high-end" companies publish measurements (dCs, Soulution, Esoteric, Luxman,...), so it's a bit odd indeed.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the sources for your claim? Do you really think MSB could be selling their gear between $ 15K and 100K and offering bad measurements? They would have been pretty soon out of business if that was true.
It could well be true but that hasn't stopped or caused many HEA companies to sell products whose performances are borderline bad. We have the case here of the TotalDAC at $15,000.oo whose performance is bettered by the Apple dongle at $9.95....
On the side of amplifiers, I know O.T, we have the various SET amplifers who can barely hit 30 watts while producing 10% THD (yes) and cost $130,000.oo or my favorite of all times, a Wavac amplifier costing.... (pause for dramatic effect :))... ... ... in the neighborhood of $400,000.oo (NO TYPO) and whose measurements read like an horror novel..

Please, click here to be entertained.

Peace.

Last edited:

Goodsound

It could well be true but that hasn't stopped or caused many HEA to sell products whose performance is borderline bad. We have the case here of the TotalDAC at $15,000.oo whose performance is bettered by the Apple dongle at $9.95....
On the side of amplifiers, I know O.T, we have the various SET amplifers who can barely hit 30 watts while producing 10% THD (yes) and cost $130,000.oo or my favorite of all times, a Wavac amplifier costing.... (pause for dramatic effect :))... ... ... in the neighborhood of $400,000.oo (NO TYPO) and whose measurements read like an horror novel..

Please, click here to be entertained.

Peace.
Interesting read, thanks.
Here is my pick of a beautiful DAC (a streaming one, if you allow this stretch): Linn Klimax DSM (Organik)
Klimax_DSM_2021_Black_Front_Shadow_web-res.png

threni

Major Contributor
What are the sources for your claim? Do you really think MSB could be selling their gear between $ 15K and 100K and offering bad measurements? They would have been pretty soon out of business if that was true (I guess).
Guess again. And welcome to ASR!

threni

Major Contributor
so just for fun right. To me this design has always been one the best, it's shouting high end audio in a classy way, the switzerland way ;)

Nagra_HDDAC_bb_03b-1920x1080.jpg
My washing machine never gives me that error!

staticV3

Master Contributor
What are the sources for your claim? Do you really think MSB could be selling their gear between $ 15K and 100K and offering bad measurements?
Here's a scatter plot of power amplifiers, with their price in USD on the x-axis and their SINAD at 5W 4Ω on the y-axis:
Screenshot_20220524-142639_Sheets.jpg
Here's the accompanying spreadsheet with all the data, curated by ASR member Matias:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZlTOYxmPs938gqHjtDABkWS-MApu7uJjzIGnJ2Elm6Y/edit?usp=sharing

Do you see a correlation between price and performance? (because I don't)

Unfortunately I don't have such a graph for DACs, but spend some time reading reviews here and on L7Audiolab, and you'll find that it the graph would look just as chaotic as the one above.

Sadly, boutique manufacturers don't need well performing gear to find customers willing to pay $10-100K for it. They just need to have a good story and lack of conscience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom