• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Don't get it, what Function key?
Oh, I think that was on the SMSL remote. Just press all the keys. I had to do that for it to all of a sudden start working.

Wolven

Oh, I think that was on the SMSL remote. Just press all the keys. I had to do that for it to all of a sudden start working.

Thanks for response. I tried it and nothing. The IR in front of remote doesn't light up either. Battery plus is facing up.

shocker

How easy would it drive the HD600, and how far could it drive them loud before a distortion of loudness beings? (as an amp to it's own)
Does it have enough power on it's own?
(I am asking this because the HD600 have a few db less/sensitivity therfore need more amplification than the HD650)

Also, i am assuming this unit from Massdrop comes with a 110V US plug. Do you know if a simple US to EU(220V-240V) adapter will be sufficient to make it work without any signal interference?

Thank you :)

Attachments

• 10674144.jpg
    10674144.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

THW

Forum Donor
How easy would it drive the HD600, and how far could it drive them loud before a distortion of loudness beings? (as an amp to it's own)

Does it have enough power on it's own?

Thank you :)

I’m not @amirm but based on what I’m reading from the given measurements, the DX3 doesn’t clip with a 300-ohm load (HD 600 is 300 ohm) and given that he says he has no issue driving his HD 650 (which is similar to the HD 600 in terms of power requirements AFAIK) in the OP, it should be able to drive the HD 600 to sufficiently loud levels without distortion from clipping

shocker

Any chance to try a 600ohm impedance pair of headphones? like the DT770/880/990 600ohm version and tell us how far can this DAC/AMP alone drive them?

derp1n

Any chance to try a 600ohm impedance pair of headphones? like the DT770/880/990 600ohm version and tell us how far can this DAC/AMP alone drive them?
It will drive them fine (to > 110 dB SPL) in high gain mode.

requiredinformation

Hi!

I'm fairly new to this and recently got the HD6xx. I'm looking for a AMP/DAC to power it but cant seem to decide (or dont know how to decide) an Amp and Dac that would be able to power these and other headphones if I get them in the future.

Would you guys recommend this over the other popular "entry" Dac/Amps like the o2+odac, Schiit stack, Audio-GD NFB-11 or Aune X1S

Thank you very much!

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
The X1s is a good with the Senn 58x and 6XX series, not so with low impedance headphones.

Yuno

Hi!

Would you guys recommend this over the other popular "entry" Dac/Amps like the o2+odac, Schiit stack, Audio-GD NFB-11 or Aune X1S

Thank you very much!

o2+odac is good but outdated, performs worse, has less functionality. Schiit as a company has done some pretty shady things all around, and only after all the poor measurements managed to release some decent units. Audio-GD seems to be all around better to avoid, and much more expensive. Aune X1s I have currently and I'm replacing it with dx3 (in transit). Aune is actually a very good unit all around but functionality wise is inferior to dx3 and has higher output impedance.

Either go with dx3 (if you specifically need dx3 functionality, like volume controlled rca outputs switchable via remote) or get something like topping d10+jds labs atom. Basically if you just want to power headphones then the best to get right now is topping d10+atom and if you run headphones and speakers out of single unit then dx3. I would say that's about it in terms of budget audio right now.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would fiddle with the battery compartment, contacts, and polarity. Does it go in backwards? In my previous experience initial quality control on remote function is usually better than physical/electronic design or instructions. After pounding all the FN! buttons and fiddling with the battery if it doesn't fire you have a dead one. Hopefully your vendor will not demand you ship the old one back.

Stein

Thank you for the recommendation, Amir!

My Topping DX3 Pro is sitting happily on my microphone preamp :)

Attachments

• IMG_20181125_190434.jpg
    IMG_20181125_190434.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 789

ngs428

o2+odac is good but outdated, performs worse, has less functionality. Schiit as a company has done some pretty shady things all around, and only after all the poor measurements managed to release some decent units. Audio-GD seems to be all around better to avoid, and much more expensive. Aune X1s I have currently and I'm replacing it with dx3 (in transit). Aune is actually a very good unit all around but functionality wise is inferior to dx3 and has higher output impedance.

Either go with dx3 (if you specifically need dx3 functionality, like volume controlled rca outputs switchable via remote) or get something like topping d10+jds labs atom. Basically if you just want to power headphones then the best to get right now is topping d10+atom and if you run headphones and speakers out of single unit then dx3. I would say that's about it in terms of budget audio right now.

Thanks for the info. I am looking at the D10/Atom vs the dx3. I only plan on using headphones at the moment, but who knows what will happen in the future..

Would the 2 systems be very different for headphones? Audibly transparent? Looks like the DAC on the dx3 rated a little better than the d10 based in tests here. Atom has more power.

Edit: i am powering the HE4XX

Last edited:

shocker

I guess it depends of the headphones you own or will own.

anyone knows if a simple adapter US 110V to EU 220V will be okay to use with the DX3 pro? and will it harm the audio signal if i do use it?

Stein

anyone knows if a simple adapter US 110V to EU 220V will be okay to use with the DX3 pro? and will it harm the audio signal if i do use it?

Hifi College at Aliexpress includes the European power plug if you ask for it, and no it won't damage your device or alter your audio output!

Last edited:

Wolven

Looking at the converted that came with my dx3 it doesn't care if it is 110V or 220V. Just the plug ends could be different. I used an adapter for that and it works.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't have any 600 ohm headphones. How common are they?

ngs428

@amirm what are your thoughts on the Topping D10/Atom amp or the DX3 pro? Price is the same. Was set on the D10/Atom then I saw the DX3 pro. Driving a HE4XX.

Looks like the DAC may measure better on the DX3 but the amp section not as powerful. But it sounds like you don’t need more power on your HiFiman. Also from what it looks like you have went to the DX3 pro as your everyday rig.

Just curious on your comparison. Thanks for all you do!

Top Bottom