• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PAC LC-1 Passive Volume Control Review

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 75 65.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 11.4%

• Total voters

silverD

C taper pot -> Pulled from Amazon
lc-1.JPG

DSJR

Major Contributor
Ah, a 50k pot. I wonder what the typical difference would be with a 10k one?

You think this is perhaps bad in response? What about shunt attenuators with a fixed (47K?) resistor inline and the volume adjusted by changing the value of resistor 'steps' across the load as you rotate the control.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So would you say that the Nobsound knob is the knob of knobs?

:facepalm: I really must stop this. It can't be the single malt because it's almost gone.... oh:(
what i mean is just that i found the nobsound volume knob to be much higher quality than the one tested.
I didn't quite understand the reference to the "knob of knobs" but it is definitely a good quality knob

Slayer

I've used this one for various projects. Seems to work rather well. If i get a chance I will send it to Amir if he would like to test it.
1653061314319.png

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Want "better performance"? You could get a Goldpoint 47-step "Level Control" for only $425! (Or the balanced XLR version for only $691)

GoldPoint.jpg

anphex

Forum Donor
I've used this one for various projects. Seems to work rather well. If i get a chance I will send it to Amir if he would like to test it.
View attachment 207730
I am about the get this exact thing but in the latest version for switching between AVR und DAC :).

As for the LC-1 it's really a shame manufacturers don't provide data like resistance range, max power handling... I didn't get an answer on Amazon questions.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Anyone know if there's a similar cheap option available in the UK?
Lots of no-name, similar looking Chinese options on Ebay, but don't want to assume that they are of similar quality...

Already got a Tisbury Audio passive pre but looking for a cheaper subwoofer option...
Tisbury passive preamp

Hipster Doofus

Forum Donor
great , so many of us play around with these little gadgets and now we can begin to decide if they are worth it.

keep up the obscure reviews , simply love it

BostonJack

Editor
They look at least interesting. I've got a Chinese knock-off chassis for an expensive Swiss pre-amp. I'm contemplating building a switched preamp with a single output buffer using Neurochrome PCBs and their universal buffer.

It is eye opening to cost out the parts. Difficult to get to a total cost much below $400.

I expect to produce very low distortion and noise, thanks to the attention to performance of neurochrome.

Zenek73

They look at least interesting. I've got a Chinese knock-off chassis for an expensive Swiss pre-amp. I'm contemplating building a switched preamp with a single output buffer using Neurochrome PCBs and their universal buffer.

It is eye opening to cost out the parts. Difficult to get to a total cost much below $400.

I expect to produce very low distortion and noise, thanks to the attention to performance of neurochrome.
Another polish company

But I suspect it's not easy to match passive solution to our existing audio.
So I will probably buy RME :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The amount of "passive xlr volume control" offerings at aliexpress, is mind boggling.
The prices and appearance (of quality) are all over the lot but most lack any audio specifications, if they can ever be trustworthy.

Chr1

Forum Donor
Not the most complex of things, so one would hope for affordability and decent quality nowadays...

(Prime candidate for extreme audiophile snake oil pricing however obviously.)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
ooh, excellent! Good to see ASR reviewing real audiophile products; i.e., a passive linestage.
;) :cool:

(just kidding... well, sorta, and mostly!)

Chr1

Forum Donor
Would also be interested in how cheap RCA audio switches measure up...

Currently using one of each of these to switch between sources and power amps. Sources being an AVR and DX3 PRO, both having a volume control. Not sure if they have any audible effect on sound quality but as they are simple switches, presumably less likely than something with volume attenuation...

Switch

Another switch

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Why wasn't this available during my modding days. Could have easily bought / made power amp kits that didn't have their own volume control.

Voted golfing at first but saw the channel separation isn't perfect, but decent enough so changed to a happy. I don't see how a stereo volume pot can affect channel separation with RCA cabling unless the ground is somehow shared? Then again I don't know how bad a 3.5mm cable affects channel separation so I don't have a baseline to compare with. If a 3.5mm cable does better than this I would go crazy tho.
umm.. I mean... it's not too hard to make one, you know? ;)

I -- ahem -- didn't actually make this one... but I could have! :cool:
Also note the extremely audiophile 30-gauge enamel insulated magnet wire twisted pair interconnects. Very audiophile. :rolleyes::cool:

Chr1

Forum Donor
For sure...

But if you can't solder...and don't want to fry expensive equipment (+ fingers), decent budget options are appealing!

PS: Kinda equate soldering within a decent sound system akin to tinkering with high performance vehicles.
Best not to do it if you haven't got the requisite skills...

I am happy balancing carbs/injectors, tuning for BHP, setting up suspension etc...

but can't solder for s*** unfortunately.

Last edited:
Top Bottom