• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping Pre90 Review (preamplifier)

misterdog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When I was playing LPs and I heard noise.

Lower the cartridge loading on your phono stage, bingo all gone.

Each cart (MC) needs optimal loading R, and a phono stage that costs as much as your TT.
A phono stage applies more % gain than your amplifier !!.
To get the same quality of sound from a good DAC and TT set up, you need to spend around 5-10 times as much on the latter.

Krillin

The Topping Pre90 and LA90 is a superb system if power requirements are modest. With performance that the Pre90 and LA90 show on the bench where is the matching Topping phono preamp with adjustable input impedance for MM and MC cartridges?

Preferably with a state-of-the-art ADC included for feeding the phono to a DAC if desired (allows applying Dirac Live to the signal in something like the DDRC-22D)

amper42

Major Contributor
I find that aiming the remote below the Pre90 works better.

I find replacing the Pre90 with the RME ADI-2 DAC FS gave me an awesome remote, higher gain than the Pre90 and a fantastic DAC for my Purifi/F328Be combination. With the ADI-2 DAC there is absolutely no need for a preamp. In fact, it was better sounding to my ear with the Pre90 out of the chain. The ADI-2 remote works great while adding lots of options at my fingertips. I especially like the EQ and Loudness controls. Add to that so many additional features not available on any Topping product and you start to realize it's an entirely different level.

misterdog

Though if you need an additional input for a turntable/reel to reel/tuner you are stumped.

Pre 90 into Benchmark AHB2 is 'an entirely different level' to my ears in my room.

Including my turntable and M400 DAC :)

The sweet spot for the M400 (max SINAD) is XLR out at 5.3 Volt, and the sweet spot for the Pre 90 is 4 to 8 Volts input.

Happy days for both science and my ears.

Last edited:

ameerm

Got one. Great preamp, but probably the worst remote ever. Used with a NAD298, NAD275, and W4S STI500.

As much as I would love it to stay in the living room, i think it will be better off in a more near field environment only because of the terrible remote.

misterdog

I sit 10/11 feet away from mine, works fine, not great, though as I have said aim below the unit. I also moved the sender out a little further in the remote.

poopy

When choosing XLR outputs, can one of the 2 channels be turned off/mute or all the settings work by pair?

bsas

Honest question: what is the benefit of the Pre90 over a A90 if I just need a pre-amp that converts RCA to XLR?

nagster

Honest question: what is the benefit of the Pre90 over a A90 if I just need a pre-amp that converts RCA to XLR?Honest question: what is the benefit of the Pre90 over a A90 if I just need a pre-amp that converts RCA to XLR?
Noise level is 6.7 dB lower.
Crosstalk is 35dB lower.
Small left-right gain deviation when adjusting volume.
Accurate gain adjustment and accurate recall.
Easy to see gain value.
The number of input channels can be expanded with the optional Ext90.
Remote control operation is possible. (however, sniping is difficult)

Rantenti

Does the Pre90 have a fuse at the IEC inlet (like the A90) or inside the chassis?

If it doesn't have a fuse, I need to make sure I have a fuse on the plug side of the mains cable before I plug it into the wall mains for safety.

delgesu

Hi,

with the help of this forum i am about tp make my way from an High End $$$ fool to an hopefully more reasonable person ...

i already asked the following question concerning my brand new pre90 on the after sales departement of topping but as i am not very patient, i now want to ask you guys here (i use Pre90 + D90SE (+ an high end class A power am that will be replaced by an classD soon):

Roon NUC (incl acourate convolution filters; with an headroom of i think 6dB) -> D90SE (in DAC mode) -> RCA -> Pre90 -> RCA -> power amp ...
my observation: the volume is very low; i have to put Pre90 from -1,0 to +(plus!) 1,5 dB to get really loud music. With other preamps i never go beyond -(minus!) 8 or so dB.
is this normal for Pre90? Should i care about it?
Is the Pre90 possibly defect?
Are plus dB figures dangerous for the Preamp or the Power Amp?

Additional info: i also have a Topping A90 amp for my headphones (this one pulverized a € 5.000 headphone tubeamp). When testing it as a preamp in my stereo system i had to put the volume knob to around 1 to 2 o´clock to get comparable volumes as described above ...

thank you very much for advising!

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
my observation: the volume is very low; i have to put Pre90 from -1,0 to +(plus!) 1,5 dB to get really loud music. With other preamps i never go beyond -(minus!) 8 or so dB.
is this normal for Pre90?
In other words, you are setting it at +/-1.5 dB of unity gain (0dB). I do not know how your other preamps gain is referenced to.
FWIW, that is where my Pre90s are set normally.

delgesu

Thanks! Did i get you right that my setting between -1 to +1 dB on the Pre90’s display is nothing to worry about?

bsas

Thanks! Did i get you right that my setting between -1 to +1 dB on the Pre90’s display is nothing to worry about?

If I am not mistaken, 0 means "unity gain", so, 0 should be similar to plug a line level thing directly to the PA. Depending on your setup, that is good or can be too much. Depends on your PA and your speakers :p

But the Pre90 has "gain" up to +16dB if I am not mistaken. So, it is designed to be "good" (aka, 'nothing to worry about') from -99dB all the way to +16dB. The main "risk" is how powerful your amp is and how much power your speakers can handle before they explode :D

Top Bottom