• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Concept 50 announced

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow that is a unique looking one!

"all sound is coming from a single point with consistent directivity"

concept-duo.jpg

inside.jpg

midpod_-_fade.jpg

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why design a coax if you can stick 6 mids around a tweeter?? :)

dwkdnvr

Why design a coax if you can stick 6 mids around a tweeter?? :)
Well, patents would be one reason. Plus, 6 voice coils for improved power handling, and I'd wager that you can push the excursion on the mids much higher than in a coaxial before running into problems. The real question on the Monitor Audio shown is why on earth you wouldn't add some form of waveguiding to the tweeter so that diffraction off the mids was mitigated.

Legacy used the circular midrange array idea in some of their speakers. My memory is that they were fairly well regarded.

This actually looks like an intersting-ish approach. Clearly some choices were made to simply be different and make a statement, but I can definitely see this measuring fairly well.

Reactions: Zvu

ENG

Forum Donor
Copy from Techradar:

“How much will you need to save up if you'd like a pair? Monitor Audio's technical director, Michael Hedges, won't be drawn on an exact figure, but it'll be a cool £50,000 give or take 20 per cent, which is around $62,150 or AU$88,825 before tax and duties.“

Rather expensive!

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Huh. I see a lawsuit from Tekton in the future. :oops: :rolleyes:

I'm always excited to see unique designs and concepts. Even if they are likely to be unicorns in every sense of the word.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Well, patents would be one reason. Plus, 6 voice coils for improved power handling, and I'd wager that you can push the excursion on the mids much higher than in a coaxial before running into problems. The real question on the Monitor Audio shown is why on earth you wouldn't add some form of waveguiding to the tweeter so that diffraction off the mids was mitigated.
Which patent in particular? Coaxial drivers have been around forever. There may be patents of particular features like metamaterial but not enough to block the use of a coaxial design.

dwkdnvr

Which patent in particular? Coaxial drivers have been around forever. There may be patents of particular features like metamaterial but not enough to block the use of a coaxial design.
No, it's not that it's impossible to make a coax, but it might be rather difficult to make a *good* coax. Kef and Tannoy have various patents on coaxial designs, and my impression is that they're largely around phase plugs and interface design that make for smooth off-axis behavior. Look at other coax designs like Seas and SB Acoustics in the 'hi fi' space, and all the pro coax designs, and none of them seem to come close to what Kef is doing.
Having said that, it's entirely possible that this design wasn't impacted by that at all, Having a unique spin or design element that you leverage in the marketing material might be as big a consideration.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Constant directivity? I think not. More consistent than a typical box speaker, maybe.

Jukebox

They do look and sound interesting I have to admit :)

Attachments

• 20220519_110551.jpg
    20220519_110551.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 213

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Their claims are very bold

"The Concept 50 loudspeaker has been designed to deliver unrivalled sound like no other loudspeaker on the market. Making the ultimate statement of just how good a loudspeaker can be, Monitor Audio’s new prototype combines extraordinary sound, refinement and luxury that customers have come to expect, but pushes the boundaries even further to truly strike a chord with audiophiles."

Could it be that such extraordinary speaker would be passive and use AMT tweeter? I'm quite skeptical.

Mario Sanchez

It certainly looks very, very unique, I'd think they are some sort of floorstanding air conditioner if not told that they are speakers...

sweetmusic

They're definitely trying to make a visual statement. It does seem like it's out of the same playbook as the Blade.

It's not as practical or compact a design. To shrink them down much, they'd need to switch to LS60 style opposed outward firing woofers instead of inward. Also, I have a hard time imagining that they would measure as well as a true coaxial design.

I owned a pair of Monitor Audio from the original Platinum series with the AMT tweeters. They were well made and sounded great, though I did use room correction and toe in and a little EQ to fine tune.

Top Bottom