• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Topping DX3Pro DAC and Headphone Amp

TonyM

where to buy this baby in europe?

Various Amazons across Europe have it....

Topping.JPG

Also - Hi all,

followed this thread after I stumbled on the Topping DX3 in the Massdrop deal....really interested in it....

Right now I use a Fiio Alpen (E17K) at work to drive my Beyer DT 1770 Pro.....what do you guys think, would the DX3 be a step up from the Fiio?

ngs428

@amirm what are your thoughts on the Topping D10/Atom amp or the DX3 pro? Price is the same. Was set on the D10/Atom then I saw the DX3 pro. Driving a HE4XX.

Looks like the DAC may measure better on the DX3 but the amp section not as powerful. But it sounds like you don’t need more power on your HiFiman. Also from what it looks like you have went to the DX3 pro as your everyday rig.

Just curious on your comparison. Thanks for all you do!

Last edited:

Wolven

So, I bought an adapter, believe me it wasn’t easy grabbed the last one at Walmart. Borne universal world adapter, they let me have it for half the price so $10. This thing is huge but it works for now.
Have not checked with headphones just speakers, not detecting any loopback or hum.

Last edited:

Wolven

First impressions of DX3pro after just couple of hours, comparing to Audioengine D1.

I’m running it as a preamp for self-powered speakers.
Set DX3 to -7DB, not sure if it should be 0DB.
Foobar2000 with Wasapi event. Controlling sound with Foobar.

DX3pro sound is clearer, less compressed and brighter. I notice more detail.
Bass seams to be less heavy which could be result of overall brighter sound, that's a minus.
I ended up actually using equalizer and boosting everything under 622Hz, sounds rather good.

DAC only mode sounds better, weird seems like more bass.

Last edited:

ILovePhonon

Does anyone here know the physical size of the DC connector tip that powers DX3 Pro? Trying to find that info online but no luck. I want to get a 10 x AA battery box to power this so it is more transportable to places without AC outlets.

Wolven

Is there some kind of a trick with the remote to get it to work?
Doesn't do anything, new battery and all.

If you guys press a button is there a light on the remote?

Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
....... If you guys press a button is there a light on the remote?

If you point your cell phone camera at the end of the remote & press a button you should see the IR on your screen to see if the batteries are good.
I believe the DX7 remote does not ship with batteries.

Some SMSL/Sabaj models use tricky A-B-C code buttons on the remote itself. It tells you in the manual which one to use for your model, and if you touch the wrong one in use it changes the remote code and it no longer works. I do not think Topping does that.

Wolven

If you point your cell phone camera at the end of the remote & press a button you should see the IR on your screen to see if the batteries are good.
I believe the DX7 remote does not ship with batteries.

Some SMSL/Sabaj models use tricky A-B-C code buttons on the remote itself. It tells you in the manual which one to use for your model, and if you touch the wrong one in use it changes the remote code and it no longer works. I do not think Topping does that.

Thanks. My DX3pro came with a remote, but it refuses to work, when pressing button the IR doesn't light up. Thinking it is defective. I tried my old battery, bought new, etc. No code buttons on this remote

Last edited:

THW

Forum Donor
just bit the bullet and bought this from AliExpress on a nice discount, here’s hoping that it’s going to sound as great as the measurements have indicated (which I have great faith in) :)

looks like a neat little box that I can use as a semi-mobile, easy-to-use and all-in-one desktop solution

ngs428

just bit the bullet and bought this from AliExpress on a nice discount, here’s hoping that it’s going to sound as great as the measurements have indicated (which I have great faith in) :)

looks like a neat little box that I can use as a semi-mobile, easy-to-use and all-in-one desktop solution

Are there any sales on aliexpress now? When I looked yesterday I didn’t see anything. They were around $188 before any coupons I could get... if any.

My best bet was an authorized seller on eBay. Hopefully it will get here before Christmas.

THW

Forum Donor
Are there any sales on aliexpress now? When I looked yesterday I didn’t see anything. They were around $188 before any coupons I could get... if any.

My best bet was an authorized seller on eBay. Hopefully it will get here before Christmas.

well i did get to use the black friday coupons along with the black friday discount, so...

also comes with nice free and fast shipping, so why the hell not lol

ngs428

well i did get to use the black friday coupons along with the black friday discount, so...

also comes with nice free and fast shipping, so why the hell not lol

Agreed! Hope it works well for you!

Top Bottom