• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Jeff1412

Some MacBooks have 3.5mm headphone jacks that can output Toslink via a compatible cable:
View attachment 201599

If your MacBook is compatible, then you could avoid an external USB->Toslink converter altogether.

Using the D10s or D10B as USB->Toslink converter will not impact sound quality.
@staticV3 Unfortunately only older versions of Mac. I have a 2020 MacBook Air

Toku

Major Contributor
@Toku hello! I was researching this subject for the last hours before I arrive here.
I’d like to connect a USB cable from MacBook to D10 and then use toslink to Arcam SA10 (it does not have a USB digital in). Will there be a sound quality loss during this whole setup? Appreciate your input!
There is no deterioration in sound quality even if the USB output is converted to an OPT/COAX S/PDIF signal using D10B/10s. However, only files up to PCM192kHz 16/24bit can be converted to OPT/COAX and output. DSD only supports DSD64 (DOP). I often use it as a USB-DAC, but I am satisfied with the sound quality.
If you just want the DDC functionality, there is the new PO100 from SMSL.

drplinker

Purchased D10 Balanced ! My ideal device would have been Raspberry Pi + good balanced-out hat.
* Allo Boss 2 would have been ideal if it had balanced-out.
* Waited long enough for Khadas Tone 2 Pro DIY board, but looks like its abandoned.

I am happy with D10Balanced, however looking for help on selecting/changing filter & changing display brightness. Is it even possible ?

-----------------------------------------------------
Pi ---(usb)---> DAC ---(xlr)---> PoweredSpeaker

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
changing display brightness. Is it even possible ?
You know that tint-film used for automotive applications?
Somewhere, someone retails a similar tint-film; w/sticky-back, in small, varying diameter, and in pre-cut sizes.
I have a sheet of this item that is specifically made for your intended use. Unfortunately, my purchase was about 5 years ago, and have no link to it.
I am sure you can MacGeyver or repurpose something for your need << maybe even some scotch-tape...;)

Last edited:

asrUser

I am happy with D10Balanced, however looking for help on selecting/changing filter & changing display brightness. Is it even possible ?
You would need a Topping E50 at least.

wacomme

How is the pairing of the 10Db with the L50? And how about the 10Db with the A30Pro? Is anyone using either of these setups? Is the E50 a better match with either the L50 or A30Pro? If so, why?

Michael

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How is the pairing of the 10Db with the L50? And how about the 10Db with the A30Pro? Is anyone using either of these setups? Is the E50 a better match with either the L50 or A30Pro? If so, why?

Michael
I don't see why there would be a problem. It sounds like a good idea. The D10B is a balanced DAC. The L50 and the A30pro are amplifiers with balanced input. What could go wrong?

I have a Khadas Toneboard, a D10B, an RME ADI-2, an E50 and a L50; I'm doing my bit for global economic recovery. All the devices perform well; you will not tell them apart. The D10 balanced is paired with my main amps. I love it's simplicity. Plug in the cables, turn on the amps and streamer; nothing else to do.

I prefer the RME as an HP DAC and amp over the E50/L50. It's not a performance thing. It's purely user interface, particularly on the E50. Because of the UI I tend to use the E50 in the same mode as the D10B. With the benefit of hindsight I should have purchased another D10B to go with the L50 instead of the E50.

wacomme

I don't see why there would be a problem. It sounds like a good idea. The D10B is a balanced DAC. The L50 and the A30pro are amplifiers with balanced input. What could go wrong?

I have a Khadas Toneboard, a D10B, an RME ADI-2, an E50 and a L50; I'm doing my bit for global economic recovery. All the devices perform well; you will not tell them apart. The D10 balanced is paired with my main amps. I love it's simplicity. Plug in the cables, turn on the amps and streamer; nothing else to do.

I prefer the RME as an HP DAC and amp over the E50/L50. It's not a performance thing. It's purely user interface, particularly on the E50. Because of the UI I tend to use the E50 in the same mode as the D10B. With the benefit of hindsight I should have purchased another D10B to go with the L50 instead of the E50.
With either the 10Db + L50 or 10Db + A30Pro, there's no way to adjust the volume using the amp volume control knob when the input ports are connected to an external powered speaker. It's just pass through, correct? As pass through, would the volume for the speakers be controlled through the keyboard (with USB from 10Db to computer) or would the only volume control for the speakers be the volume knob on the back of the speaker?

Is there another AMP or DAC that can be paired together that would allow dial volume control from the amp/dac to control either the headphones or the speakers?

kchap

Forum Donor
With either the 10Db + L50 or 10Db + A30Pro, there's no way to adjust the volume using the amp volume control knob when the input ports are connected to an external powered speaker. It's just pass through, correct? As pass through, would the volume for the speakers be controlled through the keyboard (with USB from 10Db to computer) or would the only volume control for the speakers be the volume knob on the back of the speaker?

Is there another AMP or DAC that can be paired together that would allow dial volume control from the amp/dac to control either the headphones or the speakers?
Yes, I think the volume control only adjusts the HP output but when I'm driving the main amp I adjust the gain via the streamer i.e. digital mode.

kchap

Forum Donor
I should add you can also control the gain of the D10B over the USB interface. You cannot do that on the E50 as it is an MQA DAC. I'm told the inability to control the gain via USB is common for MQA DACs but have not confirmed this.

wacomme

I should add you can also control the gain of the D10B over the USB interface. You cannot do that on the E50 as it is an MQA DAC. I'm told the inability to control the gain via USB is common for MQA DACs but have not confirmed this.
Thank you. I need a little clarification as I'm a newbie and still trying to understand terminology. Are you saying . . . ugh . . . what are you saying? Or, what's the implication of your statement?

Thanks.

cheapmessiah

How/where do you change the D10b gain????

usern

With D10b you can control volume from PC with Windows volume slider for example. If you need balanced connection for powered speakers, then consider EX5 which is AMP + DAC combo and can adjust volume with a knob for speakers.

You can control volume on E50 with remote:
xXbiiW8.png

wacomme

Other than a balanced DAC AMP combo (e.g., EX5), are there any balanced (input) AMP DAC separates that match well together and allow for volume adjustment via headphone and speakers via the amp or dac volume dial?

kchap

Forum Donor
How/where do you change the D10b gain????
It's a feature of the DAC chip. I'm not saying all DAC chips support it but it's quite common.

Volumio - Software (digital) mode:
1652791213415.png

Volumio - Hardware Mode:
1652791305070.png

Attachments

• 1652791149544.png
    1652791149544.png
    609.8 KB · Views: 72

usern

Other than a balanced DAC AMP combo (e.g., EX5), are there any balanced (input) AMP DAC separates that match well together and allow for volume adjustment via headphone and speakers via the amp or dac volume dial?
I feel like A30pro pass through will be clumsy solution for this. You can control volume to speakers with DAC, but when you switch to headphones you need to either adjust 100% on DAC or 100% on amp and also control headphone amp with DAC.

A90 has preamplifier so you can do D10b -> A90 and control both headphones and speakers with one volume knob on A90. But if you can and are willing to use RCA connection to speakers, then you can get away for much cheaper with something else.

SMSL HO200 seems also to have preamp and is cheaper than A90 so that is also an option for pairing with D10b.

Last edited:

kchap

Forum Donor
I'm sure there are but I intentionally decided not to use a preamp with the main amp.. When I'm using headphones I do use the volume control on the HPA.

wacomme

I feel like A30pro pass through will be clumsy solution for this. You can control volume to speakers with DAC, but when you switch to headphones you need to either adjust 100% on DAC or 100% on amp and also control headphone amp with DAC.

A90 has preamplifier so you can do D10b -> A90 and control both headphones and speakers with one volume knob on A90. But if you can and are willing to use RCA connection to speakers, then you can get away for much cheaper with something else.

SMSL HO200 seems also to have preamp and is cheaper than A90 so that is also an option for pairing with D10b
This is good to know. Thank you. Though, the price is increasing too! Is there any reason to use a more expensive dac than the 10Db? Aside from a quality digital to analog conversion and good numbers, what features do a fancier dac provide that the 10Db doesn't provide? It seems that the features should be in the amp, not the dac.

Top Bottom