• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sound characteristics of Purifi based amps?

Oski1928

Hi guys, I’ve seen a lot of talk on here about all the different amps that are using Purifi modules. I’m well aware that on this site many people love to talk about measurements and I enjoy learning about that, but I have not seen anyone talk about how these amps sound. Would love to hear some input.

My current system is comprised of a Marantz NA6006 into a Marantz PM KI Ruby which is powering a pair of Focal Chora 826. I am probably about to buy a used pair of Focal Aria 926 and sell my Chora’s. I’m not actually in the market for a new amp right now but I do love looking.

-Apollon PET 950
-Apollon Purifi 1et400a based stereo
-Audiophonics HPA-S400ET / and the Sparkos Edition
-NAD M23

My main interest in reality is the NAD M33 which is an amp that I actually have been able to find a lot about in terms of how it sounds, but how is this amps performance below 4 ohms?

Just looking to hear any opinions on how these amps actually sound in real life, off of the spec sheets.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no audible difference between these amps at these SINAD levels.

Pick one which fullfills your power or any of your feature requirements.

This might give you some perspective and details (it has been stickied by the host)

Last edited:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
What comes out a Purifi amplifier is always louder than what goes into it. Quite an obvious audible change, actually.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys, I’ve seen a lot of talk on here about all the different amps that are using Purifi modules. I’m well aware that on this site many people love to talk about measurements and I enjoy learning about that, but I have not seen anyone talk about how these amps sound. Would love to hear some input.

My current system is comprised of a Marantz NA6006 into a Marantz PM KI Ruby which is powering a pair of Focal Chora 826. I am probably about to buy a used pair of Focal Aria 926 and sell my Chora’s. I’m not actually in the market for a new amp right now but I do love looking.

-Apollon PET 950
-NAD M23

My main interest in reality is the NAD M33 which is an amp that I actually have been able to find a lot about in terms of how it sounds, but how is this amps performance below 4 ohms?

Just looking to hear any opinions on how these amps actually sound in real life, off of the spec sheets.
As for the NAD.

Everything is said here:

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

-Apollon PET 950
-NAD M23

A well designed Amplifier should not add any sound or shape the sound. It’s only job is to amplify the input signal to a volume that suits your speaker and room configuration. Any Amp that changes the sound is simply introducing Distortion of one type or another. Some people like/love certain types of distortion, thus the resurgence of Vinal.

OP
O

Oski1928

A well designed Amplifier should not add any sound or shape the sound. It’s only job is to amplify the input signal to a volume that suits your speaker and room configuration. Any Amp that changes the sound is simply introducing Distortion of one type or another. Some people like/love certain types of distortion, thus the resurgence of
A well designed Amplifier should not add any sound or shape the sound. It’s only job is to amplify the input signal to a volume that suits your speaker and room configuration. Any Amp that changes the sound is simply introducing Distortion of one type or another. Some people like/love certain types of distortion, thus the resurgence of Vinal.
got it, and I’m assuming this means that these are considered “well designed”. I’m guessing the sound description I’m looking for would be classified as neutral?

OP
O

Oski1928

As for the NAD.

Everything is said here:

Thank you for the link, I have read that review before. Am I missing something though, I don’t see any mention of its performance into loads below 4 ohms.

OP
O

Oski1928

There is no audible difference between these amps at these SINAD levels.

Pick one which fullfills your power or any of your feature requirements.

This might give you some perspective and details (it has been stickied by the host)
Thanks for the link, I will read.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for the link, I have read that review before. Am I missing something though, I don’t see any mention of its performance into loads below 4 ohms.
See Purifi website. Green line in the depicted Graph.

Attachments

• 36F28A67-70C5-40BE-B991-C50F67B7274B.png
    36F28A67-70C5-40BE-B991-C50F67B7274B.png
    41.1 KB · Views: 179

MAB

Major Contributor
I have two PuriFi monoblocks, a pair of Hypex NC400 monoblocks, and a pair of 20 year old Bryston 7BST monoblocks. They all sound the same; really nice. The Bryston are slightly more powerful, but I bet they do not measure quite as well for SINAD, etc as the PuriFi or Hypex. All are dead quiet. The PuriFi runs coolest even though it is roughly the same size as the Hypex. No idea if these have the longevity of something like Bryston.

pogo

Major Contributor

Simply spectacular. I have had the same speakers for 30 years, but never before has an amp been able to show the full potential of my speakers. I run a passive sub in parallel to it.

FG M200+M6000.png

Sonderdruck.png

Excerpt from Special Print (1988)

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
And here is another very interesting purifi variant: Link

pogo

Major Contributor
Teufel?!I
Yes, this is the rare and legendary first generation. I have heard many so-called high-end chains in the last 30 years. A need to change has not occurred until today ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yes, this is the rare and legendary first generation. I have heard many so-called high-end chains in the last 30 years. A need to change has not occurred until today ;)
I just thought it was a devil of a name. ;)

pogo

Major Contributor
I had the opportunity to listen to the B&W 702 S2 on the T+A A200 purifi.
As soon as you switch to DF LO on the A200, the reproduction becomes more bulbous and the area above now seems to be behind a thin curtain. Bass beats themselves are reproduced more fully with DF LO, but lack contour.
If I had simply had an amplifier swap done there on site, i.e. had an AMP with a lower DF replaced by one with a higher one, I would most likely have preferred the lower one and would not have noticed the advantages of the higher DF in the higher ranges at all, i.e. less curtain. If you want to run the 702 without a sub, another option would be to bi-amp it. I think with a low DF for the lower part and for the rest a high DF one would be able to get the most coherent without sub.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a great line in this interview with the Marantz engineers and the Hypex sound. It’s in Japanese but translates reasonably well with google.

It basically says that there is NO sound signature with class D and also essentially confirms that Marantz intentionally colors the sound. It makes sense since Denon can always go for the purest sound.

——

Phileweb: At the presentation of the PM-10, I think you talked about the "lack of coloring" unique to switching amplifiers. Could you elaborate on this point?

Sawada: A switching amplifier using a switching power supply like the PM-10 does not have a huge block capacitor like an analog power supply. A condenser is a tank that stores electricity to drive a speaker, and a transformer can be thought of as serving to store electricity here.

A condenser is a "suspicious thing" with a non-linear characteristic, and it is an element that colors the sound. And it is the condenser that determines the sound the most in the tuning of the amplifier. However, for analog amplifiers, capacitors are indispensable, and how to put them together well is the highlight of your skills.

On the other hand, in some switching amplifiers, there is no good or bad cause of colorization called large capacitors.

Ogata: So, the character of the preamp appears more strongly in the sound.The Hypex switching amplifier is a key device of the PM-10, but it can be said that the amplifier technology that Marantz has cultivated is becoming more pronounced in sound than ever before.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
There is a great line in this interview with the Marantz engineers and the Hypex sound. It’s in Japanese but translates reasonably well with google.

It basically says that there is NO sound signature with class D and also essentially confirms that Marantz intentionally colors the sound. It makes sense since Denon can always go for the purest sound.

——

Phileweb: At the presentation of the PM-10, I think you talked about the "lack of coloring" unique to switching amplifiers. Could you elaborate on this point?

Sawada: A switching amplifier using a switching power supply like the PM-10 does not have a huge block capacitor like an analog power supply. A condenser is a tank that stores electricity to drive a speaker, and a transformer can be thought of as serving to store electricity here.

A condenser is a "suspicious thing" with a non-linear characteristic, and it is an element that colors the sound. And it is the condenser that determines the sound the most in the tuning of the amplifier. However, for analog amplifiers, capacitors are indispensable, and how to put them together well is the highlight of your skills.

On the other hand, in some switching amplifiers, there is no good or bad cause of colorization called large capacitors.

Ogata: So, the character of the preamp appears more strongly in the sound.The Hypex switching amplifier is a key device of the PM-10, but it can be said that the amplifier technology that Marantz has cultivated is becoming more pronounced in sound than ever before.
I missed this. What they say is interesting. I found no difference when blind testing the Marantz PM-10 against my previous class AB amp (Simaudio Moon i-1) level matched to my normal listening level. The Marantz doesn't harden up or clip when turned up, but that's just power not amp class or any special magic in the preamp.

pogo

Major Contributor
He did it and pressed the DF switch ;)

Top Bottom