• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Balanced MQA DAC Review

wisechoice

Have you tried different players?
No, but I also have three other DACs (Topping EX5, LA-QXD1, and SMSL SU-8) in the same setup and none of them exhibit this problem.

I don't think that I changed anything in my setup between the time the issue was first resolved, and when it reappeared recently. But I could be wrong about that.

Will have to spend a bit more time trying to troubleshoot it.

Kelims

Hello is there anyone who uses the x 16 as a preamp and then just an end amp? I can't find out anywhere if the x16 is volume SW or HW. In the case of SW is it then 64 bits or only 32 bits? My idea is to control the volume with moode audio (RPI).

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello is there anyone who uses the x 16 as a preamp and then just an end amp? I can't find out anywhere if the x16 is volume SW or HW. In the case of SW is it then 64 bits or only 32 bits? My idea is to control the volume with moode audio (RPI).
I have tried it both ways (preamp and no preamp) and can't tell the difference. If I use RCA outputs I use a preamp. Currently I have XLR out to a 200 Watt/Ch A/B amp and will soon replace it with a Class D Buckeye amp - also with XLR.

I have my sub wired in parallel high level (speaker wires) but I am considering running the sub from the unbalanced + preamp and the amp from the balanced at the same time.....I'm not sure if that is a good idea, but I'll try it.

Yesterday, I moved my entire setup a few feet to make room for furniture and my amp did an auto shut down at higher volumes after the move. I rechecked all cables and it seems OK now.... the only problem I found was I had accidentally turned the sub volume knob to zero.

I'll recheck the setup today.

For the case with preamp, I have tried two ways. One was with a Marantz AVR and with Audyssey room correction. The other was with unbalanced Sabaj A10h preamp and no room correction. Without a preamp, I simply use the 4V XLR output of the Gustard to the amp.

Someday, I may correct for the room and do the correction in Roon but I haven't done that yet. When I don't use a preamp, I use the Gustard for volume control and it works great. I assumed it is digital volume control.

I have not tried the unbalanced RCA output directly to the amp.

Last edited:

Reynaldo

They also sent me an update...but it wasn't the firmware (my version number remains unchanged) and I didn't have to take the unit apart. It was, I think an update to the USB firmware. I had to use Windows (no Mac version) with the latest driver to update the X16 and since this update a few weeks ago, it has been quiet as a church mouse. Absolutely no noise with DSD. Maybe a USB handshake issue?

So, I think I will ask them what they did and if it affects anything else.
It seems that there is a way to update the FW over USB.
Did you get this information from Gustard?
My X16 is OK, but I would like to have this procedure and the new FW if I ever need it.

wisechoice

It seems that there is a way to update the FW over USB.
Did you get this information from Gustard?
My X16 is OK, but I would like to have this procedure and the new FW if I ever need it.
There is no way to update via USB. As Gustard support confirmed with me a couple of weeks ago, when they sent the latest firmware, the procedure is still to disassemble the chassis and use a programmer device to update.

Reynaldo

There is no way to update via USB. As Gustard support confirmed with me a couple of weeks ago, when they sent the latest firmware, the procedure is still to disassemble the chassis and use a programmer device to update.
Interesting that there is for the X18 by Windows.
As the devices internally are similar, not the same, I thought they could have done the same thing for the X16.

Edit - Looks like it was wrong information about X18, it's to install Windows driver.

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I did indeed get an X16 update from Gustard via USB, although my firmware version number remains the same (xxx18-A6). It required a Windows PC and they included the latest device driver as it was a necessity. (I do have the programmer device for updating but it was not necessary here)

I'm not sure what it updated, but it worked like a charm. I have been noise free now for more than a month when playing DSD music.

Back in a previous post, Gustard commented on using USB here (post #2900).

Last edited:

Reynaldo

I did indeed get an X16 update from Gustard via USB, although my firmware version number remains the same (xxx18-A6). It required a Windows PC and they included the latest device driver as it was a necessity. (I do have the programmer device for updating but it was not necessary here)

I'm not sure what it updated, but it worked like a charm. I have been noise free now for more than a month when playing DSD music.

Back in a previous post, Gustard commented on using USB here (post #2900).
Could you provide the procedure and the file?
Thanks

*If you prefer, it can be by private message.

Last edited:

Reynaldo

I just received an email from Gustard along with a file, and it looks like there is a FW update for both Mac and Windows.
Sent to both systems
I need to see it calmly, but if it really is, congratulations to Gustard.

The file is called.
GSD_USB FW UPDATA

1652742768124.jpeg
1652742793838.jpeg
1652742977867.jpeg

1652743389454.jpeg
1652743409425.jpeg

Last edited:

Gradius

I just received an email from Gustard along with a file, and it looks like there is a FW update for both Mac and Windows.
Sent to both systems
I need to see it calmly, but if it really is, congratulations to Gustard.

The file is called.
GSD_USB FW UPDATA

View attachment 207082 View attachment 207083View attachment 207084
View attachment 207085 View attachment 207086
Which version did you got?

The only one I saw here is: stc_updata_v2.0.hex (v2.0).

And it's almost a year ago now.

Reynaldo

I'll leave this link in case anyone wants to download it.
My device has the first version that came out, but I don't remember now which one it is.
I need to see later.

Gradius

My device has the first version that came out, but I don't remember now which one it is.
I need to see later.

Thanks.

Interesting. Looks like they changed the way to update now by USB it seems.

And version looks like v3.0 (X16_030.bin).

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 98

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I don't think Gustard has released it. Where did you see that?

Gradius

I don't think Gustard has released it. Where did you see that?
He explained here:

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I need to see later.

Reynaldo....did Gustard send that to you? Or is it the one I sent you? There is no Mac version. And I don't think Gustard has released it. I'm going to check with their web site

Reynaldo

To find out which version of FW is on X16:

Hold the middle button (as shown in the figure) and turn on the power to restore the default settings.
The version information will appear after a few seconds.

Gradius

As I posted early (screenshoot), the update should be smart enough to figure out if you can update or not.

After all it has: VID/PID, serial number AND current firmware.

Top Bottom