• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Windows Media Player Review

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yet another media player that tries to do way too much.
  • I can organize my own files
  • I don't need CD ripping (who does that anymore?)
  • I don't need silly skins or eye candy visualizations
  • I make my own playlists
  • I don't need album cover art cluttering up my drives
All I need a media player to do is... are you ready?... play my media files.

MPC-BE ... The black edition of Media Player Classic does this perfectly well and uses about 1/5 the space.
Available from Source Forge and the Microsoft Store ... for free.

View attachment 206757

Has it ever occurred to you that other people might have different requirements from you?

D

Deleted member 46664

User settings should be stored in C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming

So put them there.

and 'scares' is not the right word there. But apparently you don't know.
...Let me spell it out to you: seek & destroy missions to clear shit out the Registry, even 20 minutes is too much, and programs are supposed to do it on uninstall.

You are ASSUMING it doesn't work properly yet you can't even correctly identify it....

Man that's sad.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 46664

Has it ever occurred to you that other people might have different requirements from you?

How about you ... Fist you rail against an older OS version and now this?

I also see in other comments you are engaged in MS's pretesting and insider games... that explains a lot.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How about you ... Fist you rail against an older OS version and now this?

I also see in other comments you are engaged in MS's pretesting and insider games... that explains a lot.

Also...

D

Deleted member 46664

Why is Douglas Blake in an argument every other time I see his posts? jesus.

It's just WMP, it's not worth having a rant/argument over.

Look very closely ... What usually happens is that I will make a comment or suggestion. Generally I speak from live experience in the field servicing people's equipment and setups, so I try to keep my advice on a practical level without delving deeply into theory or esoteric points of view.

The usual way this turns into an argument is people jumping all over me when I don't follow their wildly theoretical or needlessly technical "ethos" and they get all bent out of shape. This thread and the "Windows 11 must be stopped" thread are prime examples... Here, I simply pointed to a nice simple media player that installs easily and just works. In the other thread, I commented that the crap imbedded into windows 10 and 11 regarding phoning home and potential leaks of private information is why I stayed with windows 7 ... The "you gotta have the latest version" devotees jumped all over me and even resorted to ridicule. Meanwhile... they're playing along with bloatware, big security holes in their systems and in still another thread, going on about load time problems they wouldn't have if they were capable of thinking outside the box, just a little bit.

In case you haven't noticed, a lot of threads here start with questions, immediately get mired down in wild charts, talk about unrelated technical matters and debates about theory ... and OP's question never gets answered. That's not good... A prime example of this happened in one of the treads about the Aiyima A07... One of the posters asked about using it as a bi-amp. Within a very few posts they had him talking about flipping op-amps, getting an industrial power supply, adding ventillation to the case and lord knows what else. None of them even bothered to ask what he was planning to do with it. It turns out it was to replace a fried 300 watt amp module in 15 inch PA speakers that were to be used outdoors during parties... clearly not the right place for a desktop amp intended mainly for home use. Everyone went off with their favourite advice, without even bothering to ask about the application.

In my experience, those who protest most loudly are almost always the ones mired in "group think" and are extremely insecure outside of it.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I recall it was called "WiMP" and when MP3s ruled the internet-age music; WinAmp was da bomb!
I really have to ask, "Why?" That is, why does MS do this? The obvious answer would be they are somehow thinking of monetizing it. How?
I don't know if you will be satisfied with my attempt at an answer: Windows was never designed as a walled-garden and its survival needed depended on 3rd party software. I mean even iTunes ported a version for Windows. I doubt they ever (intended or) made a penny on built-in apps, including paint/notepad/etc.

I am with Ivan!:oops:
When WinAmp went FUBAR, I somehow latched on to some FREEware replacement called AIMP (Artem Izmaylov Media Player by this Russian developer).
Crazy, I know! But it works for everything I can throw at it and always maintained.
Best part is that it does not take over database maNGling, which I have always done on my own.;)
Anyone remember Mezzmo? yuck!

OP
ThatM1key

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I recall it was called "WiMP" and when MP3s ruled the internet-age music; WinAmp was da bomb!

I don't know if you will be satisfied with my attempt at an answer: Windows was never designed as a walled-garden and its survival needed depended on 3rd party software. I mean even iTunes ported a version for Windows. I doubt they ever (intended or) made a penny on built-in apps, including paint/notepad/etc.

I am with Ivan!:oops:
When WinAmp went FUBAR, I somehow latched on to some FREEware replacement called AIMP (Artem Izmaylov Media Player by this Russian developer).
Crazy, I know! But it works for everything I can throw at it and always maintained.
Best part is that it does not take over database maNGling, which I have always done on my own.;)
Anyone remember Mezzmo? yuck!
I always liked AIMP for the skin community.

D

Deleted member 46664

I believe what @BoredErica is getting at is that it always takes two. There's an old saying that is, I believe, Arabic. "There are only two times when you should not answer a fool. One is when you are wrong, and the other is when you are right." Jim

Y'know what ... this isn't my first rodeo. I've been on various chat rooms and bulletin boards since before there was an internet. I've done exactly what you suggest, in some cases completely ignoring certain people for years at a time... and all that does is turn them into stalkers. You end up chatting with your mates and every time you post this gaggle of geese are honking off right behind you. In one case this reached the point of criminality as one of them took on a 10 year crusade to invalidate every single thing I said. She effectively re-wrote my personal history, cost me jobs and business opportunities, wrecked my family life and even tried claiming I was cheating the government. Finally she ended up moving into my apartment building and trying to cause problems with my neighbours... until we literally threw her out the front door. So, nope, that doesn't work either.

I could "ignore list" them, but then I'd just have them following me around and talking shit behind my back, without me knowing.

The problem here doesn't seem to be quite that severe but there is a clique of people here who think themselves superior and take no hesitation to dump on anyone who doesn't fall into line with their facts and their orthodoxy. As soon as you say any thing that isn't "their way" the dump storm you with their facts and formulas, without even once considering what has been said. For them, conversation is about control not communication.

One of the hardest lessons of internet life is that it is not what people say to you that does the harm, it is what they say about you that does the real damage.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Windows was never designed as a walled-garden and its survival needed depended on 3rd party software. I mean even iTunes ported a version for Windows...
Whenever I approach something new I ask, "How is this different? Is it better, or just different? If it is better, how is it better? If it is different, why is it different--that is, what is the point of its difference compared to what came before?"

Compare this latest and greatest thing with the 'old' Groove Music program, and consider those questions. At least on the surface they pretty much appear to be the same. Is there a significant difference, a significant improvement, or is most of it cosmetic? I'm not being a crank, but asking sincerely.

Cruising the SS MS (I don't want to single them out because in this respect they are not unique, however they are, after all, the topic) it's often just rearranging the deck chairs. But many times it's even worse, because typically they just don't move the chairs around, they remove existing chairs--hide them in a place you wouldn't want to sit, or just lock them up so you have to stand.

Top Bottom