• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Someome (not me obviously :) ) should assemble one and send to amir

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does "Nilai" stand for btw?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Am willing to build and send to Amir. First either need a sample or some price and availablity. :)

kipman725

Specs look great for usage with directly connected compression drivers. Relative to 2.83V the quoted noise voltage (9.5uV) is -109dBV so a 110dB/2.83V/1m driver is still only 1dB/1m (inaudiable).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Quite frankly, I don’t need better performance. Would love an updated Fusion line though, which is long overdue. Please add WiSa support :) Budget options would be nice, as well as a DSP’ed pre-out.

Last edited:

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
wonder what the voltage output of the new ps will be...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Final price for the kit is yet to be announced, but assuming something between 600 and 900 usd, it should end somewhere in the yellow area of the chart below, meaning a new high-power best value champion!

nilai.jpg

Chester

Haters gonna hate. Just another day.

The marketing BS is patronising. If you’re going to box off your DIY customers to protect sales of OEM that’s fine, but just say it how it is, don’t treat them like fools. A mistake from Hypex I feel, given DIYers are probably the more clued up bunch.

Davide

I would like to see if they still used the technique of putting the MOSFETs under the PCB by pressing on it to compress the thick and cheap silicone thermal pads, with the screws far enough away to flex everything. :facepalm:
The new amplifier module has that strange plate underneath with raised edges ... I don't understand exactly what it is or what function it has.

Honestly, the way they manage heat dissipation in general doesn't seem very serious to me... rather haphazard.

Instead of using silicone pads (which degrade due to oil bleeding) in a rather high thickness (2mm does not transmit heat very well) they could use the alumina pads and screw the MOSFETs through the hole on a nice plate, as they do in some cases with power supplies and old modules.

My actual nCores arrived extremely warped because of this.
I wanted to replace the thermal pads with better ones, so I asked the Hypex what thermal conductivity those they used had. They kindly sent me the datasheet, where I figured it was 6W / mK.
So I bought more performing ones, with inevitably greater hardness but with a slightly lower thickness, and I installed them by tightening the screws just enough so as not to see that ugly deformation and avoid oil bleeding (the original ones were bad from this point of view).

For the moment it seems like an effective solution because I have reduced the pressure on the PCB and dissipation increased at the same time (they run cooler then before).

I hope they last a long time this way and don't end up like the failed one that restorer-john analyzed and posted here on ASR.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What I like the look of on the Nilai is that is has more capacitance...
Are you referring to the power supply output smoothing caps? If so then the value is indicative of the frequency that the power supply operates @. The power supply(s) will be tightly regulated as it sits stock. :D

Hypexsales

Audio Company
@AdamG247 @BDWoody
It looks like Hypex have joined the forum! Could one of you please give them the Manufacturer badge?
That is correct. Although it is not our intention to actively join discussions on these threads. But we can inform you all easily when we have more information to share.

So lets start with giving you some info you are asking for. First of all the voltage rails are +/- 70V dc

We will offer these modules for the following retail prices, all Ex VAT:

Nilai500DIY: € 350,-
PS500DIY: € 250,-
Nilai500 mono kit: € 820,-
Nilai500 stereo kit: € 1225,-

DIY PreAmplifier kit: € 1225,-

Top Bottom